HRT questions (endo patient) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HRT questions (endo patient) HRT questions (endo patient)

Unread 11-24-2007, 12:05 PM
HRT questions (endo patient)

Hi Everyone

I am nearly 8 weeks post-op and all is well. Previous symptoms have been resolved. Had my 6 week check-up a couple weeks ago. Was given Premarin Cream to use for 10 days and then 3 days a week thereafter. My doctor told me that due to my history of endometriosis I could not take anything orally for Hormone Replacement Therapy for six months after my surgery which was on 9/28/07. Why is that? Also, she gave me the lowest dose of Clonidine patches to help with hot fashes. I don't notice much difference after my second patch. I use one per week. Any other treatments out there more successful? How long is it safe to do HRT once I can?

I am very thankful for this sight. It is very informative. I wish everyone good recoveries and may God Bless you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2007, 12:16 PM

My doctor gave me Vivelle.dot, a transdermal patch, for hot flashes. Just a small dose (.0375) made a difference in about 2 weeks. I change it Mondays and Thursdays. I plan to stay with it for a while and see how it goes.

Good Luck to You!
Unread 11-24-2007, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the info jacksonmarie. I will keep that in mind. Hope you are doing well. Hot flashes are quite an experience. I told my husband I could save him some money this winter on the heating bills with these : - ). Take care and God Bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2007, 06:51 PM

I have been on Premarin 1.25 since 3 days after surgery. Woke with with 3 day patch on after OR. No hot flashes as of yet but I do feel yucky. No problems sleeping or anything. I just don't feel right, not sure if it is hormones or the fact that I am tired of sitting around doing nothing.
Unread 11-24-2007, 10:56 PM

Hi Mona Kay
Women with endometriosis do have a bit of a challenge when it comes to HRT decisions because estrogen fuels endometriosis. Any endometrial implants left behind, intentionally or accidentally (even microscopic) can be fueled by estrogen and cause more problems.

Many physicians feel withholding HRT for a certain time (6 mo is typical) increases the chance for success because it 'starves the endo' and allows it to "die off." Other docs, however, feel that it doesn't seem to matter how long one waits because Endo doesn't actually die off and go away without HRT - it just quiets down (atrophies) and it can plump back up at any time estrogen is introduced to the body.

It makes sense to me that starving endo doesn't actually dry up or kill off endo, since it comes back after lupron therapy, etc., but I do think that there may be advantages to holding off HRT for those who are able to. Endo causes inflammation... which not only hurts but can contribute to the formation of adhesions. Although most women form at least some adhesions as the body heals, endo patients tend to have more of a problem with it because of the inflammatory issues. If holding off on HRT quiets down the pelvis during the healing/recovery process, then it make sense (IMHO) that holding off on HRT (if you can) may be helpful in the long run.

I couldn't stand being without HRT. Hot flashes were nothing new to me since I'd experienced them on Lupron, but all of a sudden I had tears from nowhere and just couldn't stop crying. It scared me because I'd never been out of control of my emotions like that and I was afraid I'd stay that way. The good news is, the right HRT made me feel like myself again in no time. The bad news.... I had more trouble with endometriosis and had to have another surgery to remove more endo & adhesions the year after my hyst. Many, many women use HRT after hyst for endo and do just fine, so there's no guarantee you'll have more problems if you use HRT - just that you'll probably have better odds if you don't. I knew my risks. I was told the HRT dose was about 1/5 of what my body had been making on it's own. I needed it to feel like myself again. Plus, I was too young to do without HRT completely, so knew I'd be using it eventually for my heart and bone health. I plan to stay on my current systemic HRT dose at least until the age I would've gone through menopause naturally, then hopefully taper down over time. I plan to continue to use the vaginal cream indefinitely.

I'm glad surgery took care of your symptoms and hope they never return! Best wishes for the remainder of your recovery and I hope you do well with any menopause or HRT issues.

Gentle s
Beth
Unread 11-24-2007, 10:59 PM

Hi Lady MKO!

I am surprised your doctor did not explain to you why you cannot use HRT for six months. Endometriosis is fed by estrogen. Thus, any endo that was left behind could be fed by any estrogen in your HRT. The Premarin cream is progestin which could help dry up any endo that was left behind so that when you do use HRT hopefully no endo will grow and spread.

Those of us with endo are in a tough situation trying to decide how to provide our body with the hormones we need for our overall health while keeping the endo at bay. We each have to weigh the pros and cons for our particular situation and go from there. Having a doctor who understands both endometriosis and HRT is very benefitial.

We have many Endometriosis Resources you may want to read through to learn more about endo. We also have an Endometriosis Support forum where you will find other women who are dealing with endo and who may understand better the frustrations of endo and no or limited HRT.

We also have a lot of Hormone information as well, but keep in mind that because you do have endometriosis, your HRT may be different from those who do not have endo. HRT for those with endo can be limited and include progesterone or progestin to help keep the estrogen from feeding any remaining endo.

I wish you all the best for your recovery! S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register