Feeling a bit uninformed.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling a bit uninformed.... Feeling a bit uninformed....

Unread 11-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Feeling a bit uninformed....

Hi everyone. I have been reading some of the posts and some girls were talking about vaginal cuffs and having cervix removed and all that. Well, I have absolutley no idea if I still have a cervix or not. I had a TVH with removal of both overies and that is all I know. Do they automatically take the cervix? Im pretty clueless on this and also wonder why my doctor never even mentioned anything about a cervix. Maybe I should give him a call on Monday and check this out. And, if they did take the cervix, I suppose that means no more pap smears? All the sudden I'm full of questions! Thanks so much, Mindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2007, 11:10 PM

During most, if not all, vaginal hysterectomies the cervix is removed. I have read a few posts here on this website from women who retained their cervix with a vaginal hyst. But most of us that have had vaginal hysterectomies had our cervix removed. Many doctors assume we know everything about our surgeries. We need to ask more questions. My gynecologist had a very informational pamphlet he gave me before I had my LAVH. It explained everything and had diagrams showing what would be removed. In my case I didn't have much choice in retaining my cervix since my bladder had prolapsed into my vagina.

I continue to see my gynecologist every year for my annual. I still have breasts and a vagina and two X chromosomes, so I am still very much a woman. Besides, I feel more comfortable talking to him than my family practice doctor.

I have what some refer to as a vaginal vault smears now that my cervix has been removed. Some still call them pap smears. There is a very remote chance of developing vaginal cancer. Better to be cautious than sorry!

I also had my ovaries removed and will have a bone density scan done every other year. You may want to ask your doctor about having one next year. (My first was a year and a half after my hyst.)

Whenever you think of a question to ask your doctor, write it down so you won't forget and take the list with you to your next appointment. Never be embarrased to ask your doctor anything. If you don't ask, you won't know.

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 11-24-2007, 11:41 PM

Hi Mindy

The cervix cannot be retained with a vaginal hysterectomy, so all vaginal hysts are totals - which means the total/entire uterus, including the cervix, was removed. (The cervix is the neck of the uterus.)

Here's a couple articles that might help:

HYSTERECTOMY TYPES

DO I NEED A PAP SMEAR POST-HYSTERECTOMY?

Hope these help.
Gentle s to you,

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2007, 12:18 AM

There are a few hystersisters that have indicated in their posts that they have retained their cervix with vaginal (TVH and LAVH) hysterectomies. I'm not sure how their surgeon was able to do this, but at least that is what they have said in their posts.

Carol
Unread 11-26-2007, 06:56 AM

Mindy
I agree with (((sistabeth))) here. I don't believe it's possible to retain the cervix with a vaginal hysterectomy.

(((Carol))) I have seen a few women say this too, but would question if they have their information right. I think it's probable they have misunderstood their drs. If you see this, it might be good to suggest they check again with their drs, so they are completely sure what they had done.
's, Rita
Unread 11-26-2007, 09:27 AM

I too must concur with Sistabeth

I have also read posts on this site where women say that they have retained their cervix however, I do not believe this to be true and the links that have been provided by Sista and google can prove the point. This site also has a post-op question list that you can take to your next visit and ask all kinds of questions. If you don't ask then you don't know! I had a TVH and my good old cervix went with the package and also since my bladder had prolapsed into my vagina had anterior repair work done including a bladder sling! I made sure before I let them cut or take anything that I knew just exactly what was going to be done to my body!!!!! If in doubt again, ask your doctor just exactly what was done, trust me he won't bite your head off. I wish you the very best in your recovery process, but please, please ask questions, know what's going on in your care!!!!

Bobbie in Idaho
TVH, anterior repairs w/TOT bladder sling, kept ovaries
Unread 11-26-2007, 09:55 AM

I was told by my OB/GYN that he left my cervix. From what I understood they actually leave a little bit of the uterous intact, but he wasn't really straightforward on anything with me. I do know that because of this I'll still have light periods ((called short periods I believe)) and still need to get pap smears. I had mine due to a hemorrage durring a C-section, so different circumstances.

Feel free to ask your doctor, it's his/her duty to keep you informed ^_^
Unread 11-26-2007, 11:51 AM

if you had a vaginal hysterectomy, youre cervix was removed and you have a vaginal cuff. did your dr go over what was being removed at your pre-op . its so important to ask questions and do research before surgery. make sure you talk to him at your post op visit about exactly what was removed.
Unread 11-26-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAmiss
There are a few hystersisters that have indicated in their posts that they have retained their cervix with vaginal (TVH and LAVH) hysterectomies. I'm not sure how their surgeon was able to do this, but at least that is what they have said in their posts.

Carol
i have seen this also but from what my surgeon told me, it is not possible to keep the cervix if you have a vaginal hysterectomy. my first dr wanted me to have one and when i told him i did not want my cervix removed, he said it had to be with that type of surgery.
Unread 11-26-2007, 01:32 PM

Goche21 since yours was abdominal and you still have your cervix, it sounds like you had the SAH (Supracervical Abdominal Hysterectomy) ...the main part of the uterus is removed/ cervix left in place.

Mindy It can be confusing since there are variations, acronyms, etc., and sometimes patients don't receive enough details. My doc gave me tons of info... but I remember feeling overwhelmed and like I needed to process things in layers. I had to keep going back for several visits before I was released (because of granulation tissue) and I always had new questions for my GYN each time. I wrote things down so I wouldn't forget.

Best wishes &
Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register