Deciding when to return to work - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Deciding when to return to work Deciding when to return to work

Unread 11-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Deciding when to return to work

I think if you can afford to do so, you should take the full 6 weeks. As most everone has said, it is your only time to pamper yourself and heal correctly.

I have an aunt who had a TVH and she went back to work at 3 weeks. She had no complications and was feeling really good, so she thought she was ready to return to work. About 1 week later, she was back having surgery because one of her ovaries fell down into the pelvis (or, at least that's what she claims) and she is certain that it had everything to do with her going back to work too soon. She also had a desk job. She has told me repeatedly not to try to go back to work too soon. Since I haven't been released by my doctor yet, that hasn't been a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2007, 12:07 PM

I say take the time. You may not hurt now, but sitting erect for a long period of time could prove very taxing on your body. Sit back and enjoy the break ^_^ you earned it anyway
Unread 11-26-2007, 02:30 PM

Well, I returned to work part time from home just today (TAH 10/31). Had to participate on a conference call ... my boss called me afterwards and asked me if I was okay, said I didn't sound like myself, like I was very tired.

And so I am, very tired. Just remember that when you do return to work, it all comes at you with a vengeance. Very stressful, very confusing. I used to be in top form at work, in the know about everything and now I feel like I'm at the bottom of the heap. Very stressful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2007, 02:42 PM

There were times in week 3 and 4 that I thought maybe I should go back to work. I've been working at home since day 4 post op (a few hours a day). I'm glad I didn't. I'm still so tired. I'm 5 weeks today and was scheduled to go back next week. But I'm dreading it! The fatigue is the worst and although I have a desk job, it can be stressful and fast paced at times!

Take your time!
Unread 11-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Thank you!

Thank you all for your replies!

Well, I talked to my boss today and committed to catching up on one of my projects... from home... and that's it for this week. This is a good compromise for me since I don't want to have to catch up all at once. Working from home also allows me to catch a nap, or move from chair to couch if the chair gets uncomfortable. Also, since I don't have to commit to an exact schedule, I can sleep in.
Unread 11-26-2007, 05:49 PM

Sounds like a great compromise!

While I was out, I kept up on email and participated in a few conference calls also, and that made the "catching up" process a bit smoother.
Unread 11-26-2007, 05:53 PM

I just went back today after 8 weeks and a TAH. They wanted me back at 6 but I just couldn't sit that long (I have a desk job too). My doctor said that a hysterectomy merits the time off and it's not like we take time off like this all the time. I truly didn't feel up to it until about 7 1/2 weeks. I hope this helps.
Unread 11-26-2007, 05:59 PM

Not to sound like a broken record, but I concur with all the other posts. I have had a relatively easy recovery. My pain in the hospital was not bad and once I got home, I got enough rest to recover well. At my 4 week checkup, everything was going well. I was approved for 6 weeks off but got an approval for an additional 2 weeks to total 8.

It was the wisest thing that I have ever done. I have tried to go and do some things to reach a "normal" level (small trips to the grocery, drugstore, visits with friends, etc.). I did well until Saturday. I had a "normal" day of activity and was only out about 6 hours. I came home exhausted and thanked God that I wasn't going back to work this Wednesday (my original return to work date).

I am quite a type A personality. I have a lot on my plate. I work full time, have a heavy volunteer schedule and am attending college. Although it has been difficult for me to be "inactive" I am heeding the advice of others who have gone through this to take my time..all of it.

The best thing is that if I do go back and am not doing o.k. I still have vacation time to take, if I need to do half days or something like that.

As has been said in numerous posts through the forums, this is the only time you will have to pamper yourself. Once you are back (or are attempting to get back) to doing things, people will assume that you don't need help and any pain or issues you have are "imaginary".

Relax as much as you can. It will pay off for you later.

Just my two cents!
Unread 11-29-2007, 01:49 PM

it will be 4 weeks Monday for me,and I think I am going back at least part time.My drive to work is 35 minutes,so I am sure I will get tired at first.I am ready to start making a little Christmas money.
Unread 11-30-2007, 12:54 AM

Yep, I am with the majority here. If money is no issue, take the time the good doctor gave you.

I did not have much vacation or sick time to cover me, plus we are short-handed in my office lately. I returned to work after two weeks, but the doctors office only released me for 1/2 days for the first two weeks back. Since I work a ten hour shift that was a god-send. This is a desk job too, so I was worried about the pressure of sitting up so long. Especially when you figure in any commute time, getting ready for work, etc. It still makes it an 8hr day for me when you factor all that in, and so I am thankful that I didn't have to do more than that in the beginning.

I just started back to work full time this week (4wks post-op), and it is tiring. I do have the advantage of some chairs in the office that recline fairly well, to take the pressure off when I do not need to be actively staring at the computer.

Best wishes to you in your recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register