Deciding when to return to work - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Deciding when to return to work Deciding when to return to work

Unread 12-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Deciding when to return to work

Well, I was a real idiot! I didn't take out a disability insurance !!!! I really hate myself for this... am I naive or what!!!!!!!! And yes money is a problem for me because I'm self employed!!!!!!!!! I'm on my 4th week now and as a matter of fact I obtained a few days of work load to do at home! I worked for 3 days last week!! My work is also secretarial (desk) but stressful & very demanding. It's just the sitting on the comp. for too many hours that did it. My boss is quite nice & actually wanted me to be back this week & I said perhaps next week. I think I may start part-time though but tempting to do a full days because of the money and Christmas is almost here. I know I shouldn't think of just 'christmas' but seriously it's my bills. If I don't get cracking.. i'm gona be in debt Just need your prayers everyone! But if you some of you are not in the same situation as I am... please do take at least the full 6 weeks!!! It's worth it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2007, 10:39 PM

My doc told me definitely, I don't want you to return to work before the 6 weeks. I'm being a good girl, but actually I just don't see going back to work. I have a few days to get in gear. I will probably go part-time for a while before going back full force.

I'm just now getting emotionally ready to return. I'm expecting to be back full force in Jan 08. I work at a university and we will be closed for the holidays soon.
Unread 12-07-2007, 07:47 AM

Well, I am going to try half days starting this Monday the 11th. It will be a full month (minus 1 day) since my surgery. My boss has been phony nice but dropping lines for me to return. We have a lot of people who dont use there vacation and then have to at this time of year. It should be quiet and I hope not demanding. My Dr said if I cant do it he will call my boss and tell her I need the whole 6 weeks. If she gets creepy with him he will tell her eight. He said he has been through this before many times.

I am very blessed and I have 100% disability for 8 weeks but I dont want to use it unless necessary.

To be honest....I am starting to sleep really well and I feel like I could sleep alot more. I am wondering how I will be at work for even 4 hours.

I get the feeling people think you are having fun preparing and celebrating the holidays during this time off. They really have NO IDEA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2007, 08:37 AM

Well, I'd certain take all the time I could if money and sick/vacation time wasn't an issue (as it was with me).

My doctor told me I could go back at two to four weeks...whatever I felt like. I went back after three weeks off but would've certainly (and gladly) taken four weeks if I had the sick time to cover it but I didn't. And right now, my household simply CANNOT afford to go a week without my paycheck.

I had my surgery on Nov. 9th and came back to work on Dec. 3. It's tough because most of my clothes don't fit very well because of my swelly belly. As I type this, it's casual Friday and while I have my jeans on and zipped, it's too uncomforatable to button the button.

Personally, I think they should give us a mandatory paid leave of AT LEAST four weeks off. Wouldn't that be nice???
Unread 12-07-2007, 08:55 AM

Fortunately, I have enough sick leave for whatever I need. I'm really blessed.

I went by work for a holiday reception yesterday. One person asked me if my recovery had been hard. huh - well, it's not easy.

Folks who think we are decorating and wrapping gifts ... hey, they just don't get it. My house certainly isn't decorated. the only goal I've really accomplished is reading several books. I thought one day that I haven't really done anything over the last 5 weeks. Then I thought, then I've accomplished what I'm supposed to. Heal and recovery ... emotional healing takes time, also.

After hearing cancer, it's been a real whoo to heal from that idea. This can't be rushed. I'm doing much better with it.

Hyst are compared with csections. Yes, there are some similarities, but lots of difference. C-Sections usually get 8 weeks. My mother made some comparisons to open heart surgery. For any major surgery, there are lots of healings going on, adjustments, as well as, the emotional part.

From my experience, the full 6 weeks is needed. Just this week (week5), I'm doing so much better. It's good to have this week to get stronger. In some ways, I'm so excited to go for my post-op appt, but in other ways, it's really scary. I'm prepared to hear that more healing is needed, but I'm also scared of hearing cancer again. this is so highly unlikely.
Unread 12-07-2007, 09:04 AM

While there is lots of healing and emotions with a C-section I was told that some of the medical leave is for the mom and baby to bond. This is good for the whole family.

I agree there should be a standard time so employers, friends and families understand some of the recovery process. I am thinking that once I return to work DH is going to think everything is back to normal and he will not be helping as much. I am seeing little things already. So we will have to have a discussion.

But both surgeries need time to heal and outsiders should not rush us!

I am asking for a parking pass to park close to the building and not have to deal with the parking lot stairs. There is not an elevator in the parking garage. We will see how that goes.
Unread 12-07-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetowalk
Folks who think we are decorating and wrapping gifts ... hey, they just don't get it. My house certainly isn't decorated. the only goal I've really accomplished is reading several books.
I had the same thing happen to me. My co-workers were like "So, you can get some shopping done...maybe do some crafts!"

I felt like saying "Uh...no. Shoot....I have to stop halfway thru getting dressed in the morning because I run out of energy pulling my sweatpants over my swelly belly!"

The only REAL enjoyment I got out of staying home was getting to sleep in and reading. I LOVED the fact that I could catch up on my reading....that was my most favorite part of my time off!
Unread 12-07-2007, 09:35 AM

Oh, I've read and read. I've been asked about doing crafts, also. The thing about that is that I'm just now at 5 weeks getting to where I'm even thinking of being crafty. One thing seems to be that anything crafty involves pulling and tugging to get supplies out.

I felt really good that I used my sewing machine this week to hem a new velour sweat suit. This took a few minutes, but I just couldn't even think of doing a full sewing project.

I've been wanting to sew a Christmas theme purse, but just can't get in that direction yet. I've been thinking of doing something for my doc's staff,but again it just isn't coming through yet.

Well, off to finish reading A Redbird Christmas, by Fannie Flagg. She is a real hoot. This is my 2nd Fannie book during my recovery, among several books.
Unread 12-07-2007, 07:46 PM

I had a laproscopic approach with removal of ovaries and severe endometreosis and large fibroids, is the recovery the same compared to the abdominal approach? I am determining when i should go back to work too. Thanks for any input.
Unread 12-07-2007, 07:59 PM

I am going back at 3 weeks to work 3 half days, and 1 full day (where the students get out at 1). There is a wheelchair at school that I will use, and I have a wonderful class. Plus, my principal says if I feel bad to just go home.
I want to save a couple of sick days so that I don't get docked any pay.
I hope it works out for me. I think I can last 3 1/2 hours. Thanks, and good luck with your decision.
Grace

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register