Deciding when to return to work - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Deciding when to return to work Deciding when to return to work

Unread 12-10-2007, 06:52 AM
Deciding when to return to work

I just had LAVH/LSO 6 days ago. I work 12hr shifts and can't imagine going back to work! I am also still in alot of pain so I couldn't go without pain meds for 12hrs right now. I am scheduled to go back Jan 21 which will be about 6 1/2wks. At first I thought that would be too long but now I wonder if it will be enough. I am a computer tech at a hospital and have to do lots of walking, lifting, pulling, and crawling around desk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2007, 08:20 AM

how in the world or why? would one fake a TAH/BSO. That's bizarre! I'm sorry that you are under such pressure, comfortable lady. How sexist of me ... I just assumed that your boss was a man, then I saw "she."

Be careful and your doc is great to unrelease, as needed.

How far along do you need to be, to be released?? My 6 week appt is tomorrow. I think I'm doing great, but wonder about the release since I still have some tugs/pulls. I have some pain to the touch around my belly button. I'm expecting to work some this week.
Unread 12-10-2007, 11:42 AM

I made it a half day! It really wasnt to awful. They gave me a very close parking spot. I did notice that one should NOT try to roll their chair while sitting.

I am a bit tired and my back is a little sore. Other than that I am ok ......so far.

I am home now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2007, 08:16 PM

Good luck - please take care of yourself first and foremost!

Happy Holidays!

Unread 12-14-2007, 10:20 PM

Before my surgery I had just started a new job, I told the lady upfront what the recovery time was and she said fine. She even said I could work from home through my healing time.

After a few weeks before my surgery she plans a vacation to Hawaii for 2 weeks. I'm glad that she had so much confidence in me but I sit and tend to get overwhelmed thinking about her totally being gone and me being so new.

I will meet with her before she leaves and she moves the office to another building.

I really wouldn't be too concerned but I have 2 flights of stairs just to get to my car from my house and the new office is upstairs as well. Makes me tired just thinking about the stairs even part time.

So on the 18th the day I see my doc I will let her know I won't be coming into the office until after my 6 weeks.

It's like I have read here over and over you have one chance to heal.

Unread 12-17-2007, 07:04 AM

Hi,

I had a full hys on 12/7/07. It's 12/17/07 and my intention is to return to work 12/20 or 12/21/07. I am a contract employee, so have no disability insurance. My doc keeps saying "no work for six weeks", however if I wait the full 6 wks, I could lose my contract and end up without a job.

My question is does anyone who HAS returned before two weeks post-op have any suggestions on making one more comfortable while sitting at a desk? I am a recruiter and spend the majority of my time sitting, although I run back and forth to conduct interviews/meet clients etc. Also, I have a 40 minute train ride each way, and a 4 block walk to the office.

Thanks,
mgm
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:49 AM

Hi mgm!

If your doctor is saying no work for six weeks, you should listen! I think going back to work when you're considering it is really not the right decision, especially considering your commute. If you haven't read the copious amount of material on this site regarding healing properly and the consequences of not healing properly, I encourage you to do so immediately.
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:48 AM

I totally agree with trixie3628. You must listen to your Doctor with this one, recovery is so important...your work must understand. You may find yourself back in hospital like numerous woman have. Not trying to scare you..and I realize the financial part for you...but this is something you cannot do.
I had a Laphyst/BSO- Nov.14th...thought just because I didn;t have an abdominal cut I'd be back soon. Well due to some unexpected finds...I am on week 5 now..I really thought getting back to work would be the best for me...I have learned that we really have to listen to our bodies and take the advice of the professionals. Take the time....rest...healing is essential for your full recovery. Take care in what ever decision you make.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register