still swollen and sore, 5 weeks ... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

still swollen and sore, 5 weeks ... still swollen and sore, 5 weeks ...

Unread 11-25-2007, 01:34 PM
still swollen and sore, 5 weeks ...

Hi there,
So happy to have found this site! As good as our medical system is they certainly can't prepare you for everything post op!

I had a radical hysterectomy 5 weeks ago. I had a rough time in the hospital and a few "leaking" problems in the first few weeks at home but now feeling pretty good at 5 weeks. I am however still quite swollen and very tender. By the end of the day I can't even stand to have clothes touching my stomach. I'm still very numb and my incision is so tight! I'm sure this is all normal at this stage but I would love to have confirmation from someone else that has actually gone through this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2007, 01:44 PM

hi SallyR!

Just over 7 weeks out and I have numbness above the incision site still. Plus I have a little hole in my wound - its actually closed this week but it's been sorta week on/week off as to if it opens or not - some itchiness now as well around the better areas of the wound.

I also have a swelly belly - which you'll hear a lot about on the site!!

Good luck with your recovery and rest well!
Unread 11-25-2007, 02:58 PM

Sally R, welcome to the site. It is too bad you didn't meet up sooner. This forum has totally helped me through.
I had a TAH on 10-18-07 so our dates are close. I have been off of my feet for 3 days. My swelly belly is finally getting better and the tenderness is decreasing. My abs have felt so sore and I think now I know why. My numbness is gone. Totally gone, but in it's place is this horrible soreness = like I've done 200 sit ups. Taking the last 3 days off has helped quite a bit. I don't know if you can do that or not.
I am having my 6 week check on Thurs and plan to speak with the Dr on extending my leave.......if not full days, down to half days. My boss and team will have to deal without me. After all this recovery, I do not plan to go back to work and take gigantic steps backward. They certainly will have a harder time understanding my need for more time off later if I jump back into full time from the beginning.
Good luck with your check up.
C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2007, 06:03 PM

So glad to hear from you! You are lucky the numbness is gone, it's such a strange feeling. I am planning to go back to work at 6 weeks and am very lucky to have a great employer that is flexible if I'm not ready. I have been doing more and more in the past week as I've been feeling better so maybe it is smart to take a few days just to relax, I'm sure it will help. Good luck with your checkup!
Unread 11-25-2007, 07:04 PM

Healing takes a very long time - longer than I ever imagined. I still have numbness above and below my incision at 3 months post-op. Also, still having pain in my abdomen now and then. Overall, though, I feel a zillion times better than I'd been feeling for quite some time prior to surgery, so I'm extremely happy!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register