Hysterectomy dates Nov 26-Dec 03,2007 - Page 10 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Nov 26-Dec 03,2007 Hysterectomy dates Nov 26-Dec 03,2007

Unread 12-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Hysterectomy dates Nov 26-Dec 03,2007

How is everyone feeling? I'm doing better I finally got outside and walked around went to a couple of places which felt like I over did it a little.

My place is 2 flights of stairs so not an easy task just to get outside but well worth it.

I think the hardest part is you don't know you have over did it until after the fact.

I still feel so much better than I had before, since april I had been having very very heavy periods almost like labor pains with it and I couldn't stop bleeding.

I'm looking forward to getting back to life as normal since that hasn't been the case for months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2007, 07:54 PM

Thanks to Purrfect Heart for the kind words. It's just weird doing nothing when I am the one who helps out with most of the cleaning chores. I feel guilty that my aunt has no help now. If I try to do something "small", is there a chance of doing something wrong? If so,what? Also, today I just started itching like crazy under my SteriStrips(incision areas). Is it safe to scratch them or put anything on them like Lanacane or anti-itch powder? Is it true about the lifting and bending?Sometimes I feel like I can do this and nothing will happen, but I'm afraid to take the chance.
Unread 12-11-2007, 08:07 PM

Sorry, I haven't posted much about my progress. I was doing pretty good until friday night. This past weekend I started spotting, again, and my belly became extremely tender. I was able to get into see my Dr. yesterday. After an ultra sound he told me I have a pretty good size Hematoma, from the surgery. He gave me more pain pills, and I go back for another Ultra sound the morning of the 21st. So, until then I'll continue to take it easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2007, 08:55 PM

SundaySchoolTea, I exchanged emails with my surgeon, and she gave me the go ahead to pull my steri-strips off. Check with your doc, and maybe you can do the same.
Unread 12-11-2007, 08:58 PM

Sundayschooltea

I had terrible itching under my steri strips and it turns out that I am allergic to them, I had blisters forming under them so watch for that. I called my doc he had me come in and took them off (day after I came home from castle but that was 10 days after surgery) and with in a couple of hours the itching completly stopped.

Angela
aka
Pamir
Unread 12-12-2007, 01:47 AM

Hello, ladies!

TAH, kept both oves, on 11/28. Dr. said I had a cyst that WASN'T attached to the left ovary but was really entwined with the fallopian tube. So that was removed. I'm not really sure of anything medically except that my uterus and cervix were removed and the path came back showing adenomyosis. I'll ask all my questions at my six-week post-op. Back to surgery.

Day 1 went by in a blur. I know I was hooked up to a morphine PCA, which I'm sure contributed to the blur. Cath was out first day, I think. Maybe that night. Nurses and dr all commented on how quickly I was recooping. Side note, got flowers from my parents. I was stunned at how much this cheered me up. I mean a huge difference! I'm definitely going to recommend requesting this to the ladies in waiting.

Day 2 more blur. More pump. Pump ran out. So did blur. I was on oral pain meds then, vicodin. I'm allergic to codeine (itching) but I requested Benadryl, which I was given so no problems. Itch was worth the pain-free-ness.

Day 3. Home from hospital. Don't remember the ride home being very bad, but I was kind of a idiot. We're not very well off and we count on my pay. Both jobs paid that day. Don't have a bank account so couldn't just deposit them. Had to go into to different banks to cash them to give to DH to pay bills. If I had it to do over again, I'd make DH call utilities companies and rental agency and tell them to wait at least a week. Came home and went to bed.

Biggest lesson learned in week 1 -- write down when last taken pain meds, then set an alarm for the next dosage.

I had some problems with incision not healing properly. Had to take a trip back to Dr.'s office twice. Got steri-strips changed out. Still didn't help. I'm overweight (238 pounds, 5'4") and have a roll of fat that hangs down from my two c-sections. I've had problems in the past with having a mild skin irritation from that area not drying out properly after showering. I've since learned to hold my flab up (this is so depressing and embarrassing to write!) to let it dry completely. Long story short, drainage was draining and it was nasty! I finally took the steri strips off and cleaned it up myself with the help of Q-Tips and a hand mirror and then let it dry for quite some time. Things improved dramatically!!! Healing is almost complete now. I've just got a couple of small holes left.

That's been the worst. And it stunk! That was hard to get used to. I did go into the Dr.'s though and she looked at it and said it was actually okay. It wasn't infected, that that smell was normal. I am utterly disgusted though and more certain than ever that I am not cut out to be in the medical field.

I'm frustrated because I'm having a really hard time sleeping and I'm bored. I still can't rest on my side because it hurts too bad and I was ALWAYS a side sleeper before. Frustrated and needing to vent at the moment. I'm ready to be better ALREADY!!! But, it's not to be. I'm trying to be patient and give myself time. I had planned on being back to work (desk job for the most part) on the 10th but my doctor basically told me to put the crack pipe down. I'm going back on the 17th.

Sigh. All in all, I'm doing okay. Trying to convince myself that this surgery was a good choice. Hard to feel that way now though. I'm counting on really feeling the love once I'm up to resuming sexual relations and missing periods every month.
Unread 12-12-2007, 03:06 AM

Hi Friends,
Well I'm 12 days out Full Hyst/Abdominal Surgery and the hot flashes have started. Mostly at night. To the point that I have to take my shirt off and anything touching my skin for bout 20 mins or so and then I start to cool down. As sudden as the flashes hit...the coolness comes on too. So fast. In the middle of the night I just seem to be in a furnace......my hair wet, slight headache, feeling smothered...and then within mins its gone. Im sleeping sound and it just hits me. (Before surgery i was a roll up in the covers kind of a gal.) And this sleeping...thing. I woke again this night about every 1.5 hrs and then wide awake about 3:30 AM. Seems as if its been forever since I have slept thru the night. Even the ambien cr isnt really helping. Well...it was complete insomnia and now its like 3hrs of sleep so i guess that is a bit better. My incision is looking great tho. No rips or tears and no leakage. Im so happy with the way its healing. Very impressed. I do have a question.......i have this hard tissue around my incision. Does that stay? it seems like it will. It feels horrible and im thinking who would ever want to touch my tummy again with it feeling all hard. ok...im off to try to sleep a bit longer again. Night ladies!! -MJ
Unread 12-12-2007, 06:40 AM

Istandalone87,
Yes the hardness will get better! It takes a while (a few years) but as you heal not only does the hardness begin to disappear, the feeling will also start coming back. After I had my 1st surgery I was the best weather predictor around. You'll definitely be able to predict all big snow storms coming your way as your scar will tingle, itch, burn as the pressure outside changes. It's funny when you sometimes know it days ahead of others

I hope that helps Oh, I too had trouble sleeping all last week but this week seems better. Hang in there!
Unread 12-12-2007, 07:43 AM
almost 2 weeks post TAH

Hello ladies! New to the site and had my TAH on 12/3. Dr. removed one ovary based on something he saw but overall surgery went well. Morphine took more time than I hoped for kicking in right out of recovery room but took the full dose of benadryl and slept that night until morphine was in my system. I had horrific itching and hives but pain relief was worth it. I switched over to the percoset next day and was able to do all those fun things -pass gas, pee, get up and walk so went home Wed at lunch. Definitely feeling better than I thought though pathology on the uterus revealed low grade endometrial stromal sarcoma. Tumor was 7cm and into myometrium and fallopian tube though cervix and ovary were clean. Off to see oncologist for consult next week but have managed to not panic entirely due to great info and stories on this site and others.
I did pickup a yucky cold but am staying hydrated and ready to try to drive tomorrow. Love and hope to all.
S.
Unread 12-12-2007, 10:57 PM

Hello Ladies, I am new to site and posting but had my surgery on 11/27 and was in the hospital until 12/2/07. My surgery was at 7:30am and do not remember going into the operating room but then next thing I remember was someone telling it was all over and thinking what is over. I had a full hysterectomy but kept my cervix. The doctor did not do a bakini cut but veritcally due to my fibroid was so large and had two other ones smaller about softball size. They were all exteral to my uterus.
I was on a pump also and I could not eat anything but liquid diet for 2 days. The second day took me off the pump and gave me other meds. I was nausea still and take meds for that and pain.
my incision was stapled and went to the doctors about week after the surgery or such to take them out. Thought they would hurt but did not hurt. Doctor put the strips on the incision and told me could take off in 3 - 4 days. The strips bothered me worse than the staples.
My digestion is not as fast as some others I have read but now that I am in the 2nd week post op able to eat normally but very small portions.
My right legs thigh is painful when walks like on fire and cannot touch the skin but doctor stated is because of the retraction during my surgery and should go away eventually.
the trip home was ok except the brick streets my dad had to take to get me home to thier home for recovery so I did not have to worry about my dog .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register