Hysterectomy dates Nov 26-Dec 03,2007 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Nov 26-Dec 03,2007 Hysterectomy dates Nov 26-Dec 03,2007

Unread 12-03-2007, 07:16 AM
Hysterectomy dates Nov 26-Dec 03,2007

Hello all,

I had my TVH on 11/30. I got along pretty well. Surgery started at 7:30 and I was in recovery at 8:30am. I got a MS PCA pumb which worked well. My belly feels like I have been hit by a baseball bat. The evening of 11/30 I had a lot of nausea and vomitting. When they d/c my PCA pump they put me on percocet. Did not get rid of my pain. Started on motrin much better.

I came home yesterday because the nurses didnt get my catheter out until Sat. am. I walked the hallways sat am and then took a nap.

I am sore this am. I just took motrin and vicodin. Plan to rest now.

Mill2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 08:13 AM

Hi Everyone! Had my TAH on wed., Nov. 28th. It went well...Only had pain when I moved. doctor said the fibroid was way bigger than she had expected Pain wasn't bad at all for me and was off the IV early and just taking one darvocet every 4 hours from then on in...however I did spike a high temp the day after and that was pretty bad but it soon went too...I got home Friday night and have been feeling progressively better every day... my sons have been taking very good care of me and I have no complaints...even had my first BM two days ago and no issue there either so I'm thankful that I have been very lucky and glad to be on the onther side!!
Unread 12-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Home from the castle

Hello all. I have not posted much since finding this site. Mainly because I was so busy pre-op and found it easier not to think about the impending procedure! I went in on Friday and has the LAVH at 9:00. I remember nothing about the rest of the day except that I woke up with uncontrollable vomitting (allergic to Phenergan). I was able to keep my healthy ovaries (yeah), and the uterus looked only slightly swollen, so good news there. I continued with the vomitting until mid-day Saturday, when I was finally able to keep down some broth and jello. I was able to eat rice for dinner on Saturday and have been doing well since. The pain is not bad, and I do think I overdid it yesterday. We were released from the hospital about 4:00 on Sunday, and had to stop by Wal-mart to get prescriptions filled. I rode in the electronic cart, but bein up and around for a couple of hours at a stretch was too much! Today feels good. Slight pain, controllable by meds and rest, otherwise just a little tired. Looking forward to a quick recovery. Thanks for everything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 12:05 PM

Well, I am home from the castle. Had my TAH on 11/30 Kept my ovaries. I went into surgery around1pm and the next thing i remember was being in recovery at 5 or so then in my room upstairs at 630 or so. that night i made good use of the demerol in my pca pump. the next morning, i had somehow mangaed to bump my iv and infiltrate my hand so they had to change it to the other arm, and removed the pump but put me on percoset which seemed to help with pain more. I also got rid of the catheter and got to get up for the first time on Saturday. Sunday I was still on clear liquids due to being unable to pass gas. but finally 1030 sunday morning aaahhh.. relief it came out and felt sooo good. i got to eat real food for lunch and dinner and seemed to hold it down. got released today and pain meds seem to be working,
Unread 12-03-2007, 12:27 PM

I got home on Dec 1st. I was in so much pain after the surgery they gave me an extra (on time deal) shot of morphine. The doctor said my uterus was all tied up in knots and I had a small hyrnia in my scar tissue (from my c-section, I had almost 8 years ago). My ovaries look healthy so he didn't have to remove those. He, also, reconstructed my scar from my c-section. I've still been in quite a bit of pain. My parents and my sister have been taking turns (taking vacation days at work) to help me out during the day. I'm going to go and lay back down and rest some more.
Unread 12-03-2007, 08:29 PM

I had my TAH on Friday (kept ovaries). I am in pain at times, but am surprised that it is not nearly at the level I thought it would be. It's easily controlled with Motrin and percoset.

I was on a morphine pump the first 24 hours (maybe a bit longer). I swear that I slept with my finger on that button, LOL! All but 2 of the nurses seemed to struggle with the morphine pump. The recovery nurse did well with it, as did my first night nurse. The others all had to work in teams trying to figure it out. There were at least a couple of times when I went without any meds at all because the machine wasn't set up properly. Fortunately, DH kept on them the first time, and the machine started beeping the second time.

The evening nurse on my second night was the first to give me oral pills without the pump, and she was rather stingy. She would only give me a minimum, and then would spread the times out longer than prescribed. Fortunately, the night nurse came to the rescue, giving me the meds exactly as the surgeon prescribed them.

One of the nicer things about being home is that I am able to monitor my own meds.

My DH has been such a trooper, dealing with the kids, animals, carpool, meals, etc. He collapsed on the couch a short while ago for a well needed nap!
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Home from the castle!

Hello everyone, home from the castle today and feeling great! I had a TAH on Friday 11/30 at 9am and was in surgery only 2 hours. Upon awakening, I quickly discovered from nurse that both my ovaries had to be removed because of many adhesions attached to bowels, intestines, etc...not sure of what exactly but had no options for it to be done so I trust what they tell me, they are great doctor's. Recovery is a blur but woke up in the maternity ward because there were no other rooms available for me which was great....big private room, no noise at all, and HUGE bathroom with great tv's and nurses! I never heard any screaming labor pains or babies crying, I was 1 of 3 ladies that had a hysterectomy that had been put there and it was pure bliss. I was not given a pump to use myself until Saturday morning which was fne but once I got it it was great medicating myself and learning when to do what. Getting out of bed with my vertical incision was probably the hardest part to begin with, the apprehension was greater than the pain and using the bed to push my body up and out was great help! Since I had so much done internally I wasn't given any food or drinks until 2 days later, yes.....Sunday morning I got soup and jello for breakfast, lunch they let me have some solid....macaroni and sandwich with water...thank goodness....and dinner I got real food.....baked potato and BLT sandwich with hot tea for sore throat. I did lose my voice completely for 2 whole days, assuming from the tube placed in my throat during surgery which I of course didn't know I had until woke up later in recovery and family told me......didn't hurt really just voice was gone. Early this morning my great doctor came in and said since I had been doing so well walking and eating I was going home, that was a great moment in my day! Getting home in my own bed with my family and cats around me was great and just slept a lot today and hung out with my DH, he has been the best through this ordeal . About 15 minutes ago I took my first BM and thought I would just die. The only thing I can say about that is take stool softeners from the day before the bowel prep until you actually do have a bm....I took one in the morning and one at night, drank apple cider today and had some crackers, it finally worked but wasn't pleasant....it is over and let's move on with the healing process. Overall the exerience was wonderful, my nurses were firm with me getting up right away which I didn't want to do, but am soooooo thankful they had me do it, it is helping me so much! My doctor's were shocked I could get up and walk 3 times the first day, did 3 laps around the maternity ward the first night but was very dizzy so make sure you are walking with a cane of someone to grab you when you feel unsteady.....because you definitely will go down if not careful.
Well, if anyone has any questions or concerns feel free to e-mail me, I am no expert but do feel I had a great experience and can help calm your nerves at least! Good luck to everyone having surgery in the future!

Julie
Unread 12-03-2007, 10:17 PM

Hello Ladies,

Finally made it home Saturday night after my surgery, Thursday, November 29, 2007 - I'm in a great deal of pain especially after my 7th time being cut on, the 6th time in the same spot! I've been constipated too! What can I do besides taking laxatives? Trying to take it a day at a time, walking slowly...... Thank you for all of your SUPPORT!

My DH has really stepped up to the plate!

TAH kept ovaries and tubes.
Unread 12-04-2007, 01:03 AM

Hey everyone, I made it home on Sunday after my stay at teh castle. The doc did a TAH with only my right ovary removed. He said there was a lot of adhesions and some endo. Ive only felt really bad pain three times so far during my recovery. When I first came out of surgery, after vomiting,( felt like i tore something) and the worst of them all was what they think was a bladder spasm.I had small amounts of blood in my urine( all the nurses said this was normal) All in all it wasnt as bad as I anticipated. After they finally took me off the pump and gave me oral meds, I stopped vomiting, was able to eat normal foods and was walking around fine.
Right now I just feel like I did a million situps. There is only one spot that is very sore near my incision,( same place it felt like I tore something)I go to get staples removed today , so doc can tell me what it is.
Will post more when I feel up to sitting for a little longer. Glad to see you guys on the other side!
Unread 12-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Sore

Hello all...I had my TVH on Friday 11/30. Home Sunday 12/2. My stomach and lower back is still pretty sore. Is that normal. I am taking vicodin and motrin as oredered. Drinking planty of liquids. Is it normal to be this sore???

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register