Hysterectomy dates Nov 26-Dec 03,2007 - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Nov 26-Dec 03,2007 Hysterectomy dates Nov 26-Dec 03,2007

Unread 12-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Hysterectomy dates Nov 26-Dec 03,2007

Wow, Angela!

9 days in the hospital and a bowel resection! Was that due to endometriosis? I am sorry to hear that your surgery was such an ordeal, but at least it's behind you now!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,
Cancer Cousin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2007, 08:44 PM

I still need to read through all of the posts, but since I am not doing well sitting up tonight, I just wanted to give my quick report. I hope to feel more up to chatting lots more tomorrow.
My TAH/LOA was the 26th. It was scheduled for 8am, they had me show up at 6:30 am, so I was preped and in the OR by 7:50 a.m. I must have been so exhausted from all of the things I had been doing in the days leading up to it that the one nurse was still strapping down my right arm and the other putting the mask on my face and that was the last thing I remember. LOL!
I "woke up" hours later in recovery groggy and loopy. I must have not stayed awake long because I don't remember actually physically being transported to my actual room, I just remember all of a sudden arriving there and my husband being there with my things.
As several mentioned here, I was on a morphine drip and had that cool little clicker thing. I don't recall feeling sick from it. BI also had a catheter as well. My doc came to see me but we didn't talk much because she said I wouldn't remember much anyway. I had some decent lucid moments because I was able to make 1 business call and send a text message to everyone that I was ok. I even answered my cell a couple of times.
My catheter was removed sometime on Tuesday afternoon. My morphine was replaced with toradol (sp) sometime on tuesday as well and I also had percoset in between, which I still have at home. I was sent home with the 5 day script for toradol as well, so those are all gone now.
One of the most shocking aspects of all this was how ridiculously quick they tossed me out of the hospital. I did not get solid foods until around lunchtime on Wednesday and was kicked out on Wednesday night. I was in pretty bad shape too, loopy, in pain, dizzy, nauseous...crazy.
I still have lots more to tell but as far as the surgery itself, it ended up being 2 hours and 20 minutes long. They said my insides were a MESS! The assisting physician told me today that it was one of the most interesting hysterectomies he was ever involved in. I had so many adhesions that everything was basically stuck together. They had to blindly strip away at it to even find my uterus. My bladder was so attached that they had to inflate it with iodine to detatch it and hope for no punctures.
So in a nutshell no easy recovery here. I still have probably done more than I should have since I have been home which is agravating things, but its hard when people don't run your house right! I am so sore, it hurts to have gas real bad, constantly having to wee wee and trying to poop...a nightmare!
Sorry such a long post,
JDen
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:52 PM

Angela,
I am so silly and didn't even make the connection that all of the stuff they did to my bladder must be why it is bothersome to go potty, which I am doing constantly. I am glad you said that, it explains a lot, especially in light of all the stuff the doctor told me today about what went on with my bladder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2007, 12:52 PM

So I had my SAH/BSO on Monday morning--yes the anxiety going into seem to be one of the most difficult aspects of the whole experience. The pre-op team was great, especially when they go that I have a mood/anxiety disorder--also my wondrous and fierce sister was totally there for me.

Evidently my surgery was also tough as I had tons of scarring and adhesions from my myomectomy 10 years ago. And when I saw my doc yesterday to have staples removed, she said my report came back that my uterus was riddled with fibroids and adenomyosis--any one of these things could have caused pain (hello! this I know!).

Evidently in the recovery room, the doc asked me how I was feeling and I said, "I'm in pain." So I was reminded that I had the morphine pump and took a hit. Then she (the doc) asked how my anxiety was and I said, "through the roof!" So she responded, "Repeat after me: I feel great." And I said, "I feel great." Then she said, "I have no anxiety," and I responded, "My anxiety is through the roof!" I guess I had the recovery nurses in stitches--the result was they added Ativan to my morphine drip--and what a GLORIOUS gift that was to me--I can't tell you how that helped me.

I came home Thursday morning and have been doing well--except the percoset not agreeing with me and it taking us all too long to figure out that was the problem (I was having creepy crawly feelings all over my body, couldn't concentrate, was having nightmares, had some bowel movement but not enough, and finally started getting nauseous...and that was the pointer to the percoset problem). I've switched to Anaprox DS and am doing much better in all ways--mood, bowel movement, pain.

That's my story.
Blessings on us all.
Hattie
Unread 12-06-2007, 01:17 PM

Hi Doran411, my backpain is worse than my abdominal pain as well, what do you think that's from? Let me know if you find out. I asked my doc at post op appointment and she said she didn't know what it was from. Good luck to you in your recovery.
Unread 12-06-2007, 02:01 PM
angela answering questions (jden and cancercousin)

yes all of this was due to severe endometriosis and yes the bladder pain seems to be from the bladder scraping, something that has worked for me is swaying side to side just before sitting down to pee, it seems to move the urine down a bit and make it easier to release but then the spasms at the end of the flow really hurt no matter what I do, but that should get better as time goes on.

Angela
aka pamir
Unread 12-06-2007, 02:20 PM

My TVH was 11/30 and I am having bladder spasms as well. My back pain has gotten better. My MD prescribed motrin around the clock and vicodin as needed. I seem to have a better day if I am not chasing pain. I am taking my pain meds just in the am and seem to have a better day.
Unread 12-06-2007, 02:36 PM

post op day 10. I feel great. Occasionally using Motrin. I have been walking more. My doctor wanted me to let her know once/if I started having night sweats/hot flashes. They did start last night, but I will wait and advise her at 2 week post op appt. I do have an occasional dizzy spell after walking awhile, I also then get the swelly belly, but hey, we are talking 10 days out and I am doing great, so I will not sweat the small stuff. Thank God all the Christmas shopping is done!!!! I have lost weight, don't know how much but squeezed back into my twelve pants!!!!! Good riddance to the red tide!
Unread 12-06-2007, 06:13 PM

I had my TAH/BSO on Nov 27th, and I have to say that I am feeling better than I thought that I would feel at this time. Besides a little vomiting and nauseousness the first 24 hours, and a little scare with pain in my left leg this week(possible blood clot), everything went very well. My doctor said that my uterus was the size of a 14 week pregnancy from the fibroids, and that the cyst on my left ovary was attached to my bowel. The pathology report also showed adenomyosis. She said that I should really notice a big difference in how I feel once I recover. I am so glad that I am this side of it, and looking forward to feeling better each day. Thank you all for providing such great support and encouragement!
Unread 12-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Good News

So happy you shared your good surgery report. Wishing you many good days ahead with your recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register