Embarrassing Question About Discharge - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Embarrassing Question About Discharge Embarrassing Question About Discharge

Unread 12-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Embarrassing Question About Discharge

irishdander,

I know, I feel the same way about the information. When I called my doctor after having been to him three times for this discharge, the receptionist told me to come in to see the Dr. I told her that I had been in three times already for the same thing and it was getting costly to keep coming in and being told the same thing.I asked her to leave a message for the doctor or his nurse to give me a call so i could ask a few questions. I figured I could ask them some questions as to if this was normal? or how long should this be going on?, questions of that sort. I just needed some answers or some reasurance that everything would be fine. The receptionist called me back the next day and asked me if this was about the discharge that I was having, I paused for a moment(how she knew about my discharge? I don't know) I did tell her yes. She said well you are going to have to come in. I asked her if she would leave a message for the DR. to call me I needed to ask him a few questions first before coming in. Well, that was a week ago nobody hasn't given me a call yet, so I am requesting a copy of my records and I am going to see another DR. I have never figured out how the receptionist knew what problem I was calling about. I have an appt. this week, if I learn anything I will let you know. Call your doctor in the mean time or go in to see him or her. Whatever you do don't just wait it out, get as many answers as possible. I wish I hadn't waited this long to get another opinion. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 11:39 AM

The Dr. nurse told me all is normal and to be expected, she said only fever,chills,aches and foul smelling discharge is abnormal. Why don't they give us a hysterectomy book for dummies at the hospital so when were home and miserable we have aplace to look up all are greatest fears,worries and concerns? I feel as if this hysterectomy issue is still in the dark ages,it feels like we are all on our own. Everyone assured me I would feel so wonderful and be soooo happy. Well I am filled with wonder, happy I am not, Sunday I woke up feeling about as high as a snake in hibernation, thankfully not today but I feel so vulnarable and a bit like a star trek explorer.
Unread 12-03-2007, 12:16 PM

In all honesty, things will get better as you go along. there will be a few bumps along the way so don;t be dicouraged, you are still early in the healing process. I jusst hope I get some answers this week. You are right there should be a hysterectomy book for dummies because I am lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 12:18 PM

I know exactly how you feel. I don't want my dr to think I'm a hypocondriac so I avoid calling her and I turn to this forum for answers.

I don't have a fever any longer but the smelly discharge continues and I'm freezing all the time. I have ups and downs with pains but the sharp pains are always on my right side.

Thanks for all the input.
Unread 12-03-2007, 12:29 PM
irishdander still hopes

I do hope for a good book to read about all this insanity,I know I'm only 3 weeks post op but at one week I got the vomitng flu and had to have a catscan at 3000.00, then recovered and promptly got this "little infection",now at three weeks postop I feel like I might be at day one of healing,physically,mentally and emotionally, and everyone expects me to be normal,between waking up at 330am every morning,going thru boxes of "scented" mini pads, right hip, and lower back pain, no Christmas spirit, cold and hot flashes,tears, laughter that physically hurts, I guess I do feel like a new woman, just not a woman that I would like to spend much time with. Just praying and hoping that I am not the only freak show out here.
Unread 12-03-2007, 12:36 PM

Wow . .you summed it up very well . . . "waking up at 330am every morning,going thru boxes of "scented" mini pads, right hip, and lower back pain, no Christmas spirit, cold and hot flashes,tears, laughter that physically hurts, I guess I do feel like a new woman, just not a woman that I would like to spend much time with.".

Everyone keeps reassuring me that I will reach a point about week 6 - 8 that I will feel like a new woman.

I get through every day looking forward to that day.

You are not alone Irishdander. I feel everything you are going through!
Unread 12-03-2007, 02:36 PM

I have always read that you should avoid using scented feminine products of any sort as they could cause problems such as a yeast infection...even scented toilet paper some women are prone to having vaginal irritation from.

They even specifically told me upon discharge not to use any scented panty liners/pads. Just thought I'd pass it on - as it's one more of those things they should probably tell you when you leave, but fail to.
Unread 12-03-2007, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm not using scented. I was always worried people could smell the scented ones so I steered clear.
Unread 12-04-2007, 12:14 PM

I tried using unscented but could not stand the smell, the scented ones don't seem to be giving me a problem, but I change frequently, really frequently. I see my Dr. tommorrow so I will inquire about this. I just received my hystersisters book yesterday,read it completely too, I feel so much better knowing I'm not alone wish I had a support group close by,I would run to them, but I am extremely thankful for this site, I know I belong. I send my love to all and a big internet hug to all, I just keep on repeating, I am divinely guided at all times, I will always take the "right" turn in the road and where there seems to be "no way", a way will appear,
Old Norman Vincent Peale tapes I bought at a yard sale and Florence Scovell Shinn seemed to encourage me with her old books that I checked out at the library.
Unread 12-04-2007, 05:59 PM

I agree with all of the posters. If your doctor will not see you tomorrow, go to an urgent care center. It's not worth taking a chance with your health. Also, tell your provider if you're running a fever and if you have any nausea, vomiting, light-headedness, difficulty voiding or exreting waste. Anything that may seem a little off to you. While it may or may not be an infection, why worry?

On the second note, another poster expressed her frustration at the lack of education. I don't blame you at all. I work in health care and thankfully, I had access to docs all day long (and I'm their boss so they have to talk to me). But, I have told them all how frustrating it is to be a health care consumer. Why? Because to them this is all just medicine and they truly see giving out answers as either a) a quick version which doesn't go into too much detail but is factual and can't be overanalyzed or b) the long version that a lay person can't reallly get completely right. I say, too bad, doc. You are going to give me the long version and then answer every crazy question I have! I would encourage you all to do that as well. Forums like this are wonderful, but when it comes to knowing what's medically going on with our bodies, our doctors need to speak to us in a language we can understand and answer all of our questions. Get forceful with your docs. Not just for yourself but for the person behind you. The only way they learn - and we teach docs in my clinic as well - is to keep the water dripping on the stone. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register