Bad hospital stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bad hospital stay Bad hospital stay

Unread 11-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Bad hospital stay

After a 13wk wait, I was so positive and optimistic about this surgery. Ready to have it done. Well, I'm still here in the Castle and it's been a nightmare. Surgery went fine. Had a TAH, no endo, everything was textbook. The castle stay, on the other hand, is downright horrible. My DH is having to spend the night here
as I can't get out of bed on my own. And no nurses to help me either. They disappear and you don't seem them for hours (no joke).

This is what's been going on:

- no morphone or PCA pump. I got NO pain meds until 7 hrs AFTER my surgery. They had no idea what to give me. They have yet to get "on top" of my pain and it's been 33 hrs! I'm pretty much immobile because I hurt so bad!
- no ice chips after surgery. Not one single thing until the next day. I was sooo dry I could've cracked apart. Oh, I asked, but they said nothing by mouth.
- No compression boots
- No mesh panties, they TAPED a maxipad to my bottom, can you believe that? And they haven't ever checked it or changed it
- IV bag ran dry several times.
- Nurse forgot to put meds in my IV for pain and when I reminded her, she said "oh, you told me not to give you any pain meds, remember" WHAT, why would I do that? She flat forgot and was blaming it on me.
- Nurse sat me up on side of bed, then left and never came back. I never got another nurse to come help. I called DH who drove 20 miles to come and help move me.
- No pain med schedule. If you want pain meds, you notify the nurse. Then they say "oh, I can't give you anything unless the dr okays it". Wasn't this all planned beforehand you jerks?
- Morning nurse gave me 5 stool softeners today. Afternoon nurse gave me 3 more. I'm sorry but when she left, I spit them out. I am not going to wake up in the middle of the night with diahhrea from all these stool softeners.
- I've been given only liquid meals so far, even though my dr has told them SOLID food. Am I not past the red jello stage yet?

It has been just horrible! If you call a nurse, you don't see her for 45 minutes. Last night they turned off my light, closed my door and I didn't see anyone for 5 hrs. Needless to say, tonight my DH is here because frankly I was too scared to stay here alone. Thank God I go home tomorrow. I am moving sooooo slow because I am in soooo much pain because they never got on top of any of my pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Bad hospital stay

Oh Dear Lord!
Im so sorry your going such treatment! Is there not anyone
there to complain to in the administrative office?I hope you and your Dh let all of them know this isnt acceptable!
Does your Dr know this is going on? You are in my thoughts and prayers! no one should go through what your dealing with!Please let me know how you are doing !
God Bless you! and Many hugs to you both!
Unread 11-28-2007, 12:57 AM
Bad hospital stay

Yikes! The amazing thing is that someone is actually paying for that level of care. I would have your husband get on the phone with your Doc first thing in the morning, expain the horrible care and your desire to get the hell out of that hospital ASAP. I would also contact have him contact a patient advocate in the hospital to rain down a bit on your behalf just in case you are not yet cleared for release.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2007, 05:07 AM
Bad hospital stay

I am so sorry to hear what you're going though - I can't imagine it!

As someone else said - the amount of money that you pay in the US and you get this!!!

Hang in there and make sure to make a formal complaint, if not now, certainly afterwards - you will have the time to write letters and make phone calls!

My thoughts are with you and I hope you get home soon to the comfort of your own surroundings.
Unread 11-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Bad hospital stay

Where the heck are you? Maybe there is a hystersister near by that can help?
Unread 11-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Bad hospital stay

why havent you ask for someone in charge to come in your room and tell them all those things you typed out? since you are receiving such poor treatment and you are still there, thats what you should do. i cant imagine putting up with that for days while i was in pain. ask to be moved to a different floor. demand it. you are paying for care that you arent receiving. its really a shame that this type of thing happens but since its been going on since the day of your surgery, you really should tell someone, or have your husband go see the head of nursing.
Unread 11-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Bad hospital stay

I am so sorry to hear you are being treated so poorly! Please please PLEASE contact the head of nursing immediately , some hospitals also have a patient liason who can help get situations like yours resolved. Good luck, and happy healing!!
Unread 11-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Bad hospital stay

Oh my god!!! I have never heard of such mistreatment in my life! First off this is a blatant violation of your patient rights, secondly to ignore the doctors order set up for your patient care is another violation that should be handled by the hospital administration, Admin. Note: Hystersisters TOS do not allow any discussions or suggestions of lawsuits . I agree with the other sisters you need to stick up for yourself, I would NEVER let anyone treat me or one of my family memebers with such disregard. I would have everyones heads on a platter so say the least. There are patient advocates and also the nurses are monitored my DNS (Director of Nursing Services) that oversee the nursing staff, ie, patient care reports, meds administered and all. I can't for the life of me believe that your doctor did not order ANY pain meds for you and that you were not allowed to have even ice chips after your surgery......ooooooooh let me tell you I am seething about this!!!!!! I was a CNA and an EMT and I DO know what constitutes good patient care and you DID NOT GET IT!!!! And If you can't, then have your hubby get in contact with your doctor immediately!!!!!

My husband would have ripped heads and a few other parts of anatomy if I had recieved the kind of treatment you have..... I am sooooo sorry that this has happend to you. Please continue to post and let us know what happens! Go Get um Tiger!!!!!

Bobbie in Idaho
TVH, anterior repairs w/TOT bladder sling, kept the o's!
Unread 11-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Bad hospital stay

MsDee2

I'm so sorry to hear about the treatment you have received and I fully understand because mine was very much like yours. I didn't get pain killers or a morphine drip like you until the next day. Along with a few veins they tried toflush and blew up and a few other things. My DH was there with me and he immediately call my doctor and explain what was going on. She then called the hospital admin and they came running to my room to make corrections. It helped for the remainin of the day and I need to call her again. This time she was there the doctor and she went off.

You should call the hospital nusing admin and then explain to them that you will be writting a greiveance notice to your insurance company about your care. Make sure you don't see morphine listed on your itemized bill that you didn't receive and shouldn't pay for. Or any other medication that they documented they gave you but you never took.

The hospitals some time will send out a survey for how your treatment went from a 3rd party make sure you answer and tell it all. I did all theses things because trust me my treatment was so close to yours but I didn't just wait my DH and I started complain the first day. Right now we are in neogations with the hospital or getting rid of some of the charges after the insurance paid due to my nightmare experience. Guest what I came home from work yesterday and had a box sitting on my table from the hosiptal with an apology letter inside and it was full of bath and body works lavender and vanilla relaxazation candles, lotions, body baths pillow spray, socks you name it.

Does that make up for all of the pain no but I know they heard me and for me at this point that was important.
I hope this helps.

The real healing will start soon in the comfort of home.
Unread 11-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Bad hospital stay

I am so sorry that you are being treated like this.First let me say that I also had substanderd nursing care with my stay.A few things that I learned from it was that you need to tell the following persons:your doctor,your hospitals DON(director of nursing)<Admin. Note: Hystersisters TOS do not allow any discussions or suggestions of lawsuits.> In my case the nurses that were in charge of my care were all put on admin leave and investagated and fired because of the care that they provided.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register