Bad hospital stay - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bad hospital stay Bad hospital stay

Unread 12-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Bad hospital stay

Praise God your recovery has been good!
I'm sorry to hear of your hospital stay. Mine wasn't the best, but pretty good compared to yours. I would definitely file a complaint!
Grace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Bad hospital stay

I'm glad that your recovery was good. You deserve it for sure. I remember reading your story, probably on our weekly thread, and I've had a hard time getting it out of my mind, too! It makes me very greatful for the good care that I received. Maybe it would help you to relieve these bad memories if you were to write a letter to the head of the hospital, and maybe copy the insurance company. Even if you don't send the letter, writing it might be theraputic.
Unread 12-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Bad hospital stay

I had wonderful care except for two nurses back to back who did not want to give me my pain meds or help me stay clean. My DH stayed in my room both nights I was there and tried to help (he did, and got me to the bathroom each time cause she was not going to help and he helped me shower). The first nurse outright denied my pain meds and said I would do fine for a while with what I got. By that evening I was not feeling well and told the second nurse if I did not get my pain meds as prescribed by the doctor, I was calling him because she said she just didn't have a lot of time. My DH and I do not like confrontation, we like things peaceful, but enough is enough. My DH even apologized to me for not sticking up for me.

Hello? You only have to show up every four hours, my DH is taking care of everything else. My doctor made rounds the next morning and was so mad at the state of my gown cause I had some wound weeping and he said "This is unacceptable for my patient to be in a dirty gown, fix this!" "Why has she not been given her pain meds when I prescribed them for her?!" It was the same nurse from the day before, but she was on the ball that morning after he yelled. My doctor and the interns truly were my advocates while in. The other nurses were so awesome, I could just cry at how tender and helpful they were.

It is frustrating MsDee2, we try to be strong, we know their job is hard, but we were under their care, I do not think it is too much to have pain control and clean gowns. I would say something to the hospital. Even after three weeks it is causing you emotional pain and they need to know how their lack of care has affected you and will affect other patients.

bitterpill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Bad hospital stay

My DH thought I was in good hands that first night, or he never would've gone home. How were we to know? Needless to say, he stayed with me the 2nd night. He told me this week that he had horrible nightmares that night he stayed with me.
Unread 12-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Bad hospital stay

MsDee2,

I feel for you and your DH. Of course he thought you were in good hands, it's their job to take care of you...you know-angles of mercy and all that good stuff. I do home health care, even my most difficult cases would I ever let be hungry/thirsty, dirty, or in pain. I hope you and your DH can find peace and move past this and the one that suggested writing a letter had a great idea.

bitterpill
Unread 12-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Bad hospital stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDee2
Just curious if anyone else had a BAD hospital stay or am I the only one? The care I received was non-existent, my pain was horrible and it never got below a 5 on the pain scale. When I called for a nurse, the voice would come back "let me see if I can find her" (I pictured her standing outside in the parking lot smoking). No one would show, I'd have to call back 45 minutes later. The whole stay was total frustration like that. When you are in pain, the last thing you need is to wait 45 minutes for anything.

My IV ran dry twice, I was moved to the side of the bed and left alone for hours, (had to call DH at home to come help me up) I got no solid food, they wouldn't allow me ice chips, they had no shampoo or towels but wanted me to take a shower. At nighttime when I would call for pain meds, nobody would show up. Hours later the nurse would come in and say "oh, remember, I came to give you meds, but you didn't WANT any". WHAT?? I knew it was to cover up the fact that she never came at all. I wouldn't see a nurse for 5 hours at a time. It was a horrible nightmare and it's been 3.5 weeks now and I just haven't been able to get it out of my mind. I've never been so scared in all my life!

On a brighter note, my recovery has been stellar and maybe that's suppose to counterbalance the rotten hospital stay?

I can relate!!! As soon as I was able I looked up the hosptial online and wrote to every single email listed there twice!!! and told them I was going fo complain to the radio / newspaper, once I was up and around they cant get away with it. With in a day I got an answer and they took all of my info and plus I did get a survey sent that I filled out too. DO what you can you will ONLY HELP THE OTHERS!! I even went to the local newspaper website and did a new thread on their blog about the hospitial and found out I was not the only one with problems. Soon as you feel better GET ACTIVE!!! GOOD LUCK and happy recovery!! I have not heard if anything has changed, but I hope so!!!
Unread 12-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Bad hospital stay

I wasn't particularly thrilled with my hospital experience, either. The odd thing is, that all of the nurses, except one, were great.

My nurse the first day was very attentive after surgery and throughout the night. I was really delirious and don't remember too much. The 2nd night I was there, she turned "mean". I had a roommate and we were both using the bathroom and they kept putting those darn "hats" in the toilet. So whenever either of us had to use the bathroom, we had to call for someone to pour out the other one's "hat". In the middle of the night I had to ring for that and the nurse came in, stomped into the bathroom, grabbed the hat dumped it and stormed out again. She came back about 10 minutes later and said really sweetly "neither of you need to measure urine anymore so if there is a full hat in the toilet it's okay for you to dump it yourself". Maybe I'm a princess, but I can't see how the hospital would want me messing with someone else's urine. That night I don't think I was also getting the pain medication on schedule. My dr came in the next morning, she told me I had had a bad pain night, I had a fever and she wasn't going to let me leave. I went to pieces. I didn't want to spend another night in that hospital with that nurse. Fortunately that night it was different staff, I had a really nice nurse - I told her I needed clarification on what to do if the hat was full and it wasn't mine. She said "just call us".

Maybe I am over-reacting but that whole incident with the "mean" nurse really bothered me. i know that it might not have been "about me" at all, she could just hate her job or something else happened. Am still waiting for the evaluation form from the hospital. Had decided to just let it go. Am not there anymore and have no intention of going back!
Unread 12-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Bad hospital stay

I, too, had a horrible hospital experience. I didn't receive food or drinks, rarely got my pain meds, was told I needed assistance to go to the bathroom, but no one showed for hours when I rang the bell and all sorts of nightmarish activities. I was never so glad to go home. If I hadn't been starving I would have asked the doc to let me stay one more night. I really didn't feel ready to leave, but I was hungry, thirsty, and felt abused and neglected by the staff. I did file a formal complaint, but I've not heard anything since. You would think that by humiliating a patient and making them wet the bed would get someone in trouble. You would think that reporting such abuse and neglect would launch an investigation. But I think instead it got swept under the rug and forgotten. And this from a hospital that has given me star treatment in the past 4 years. It's the first time I've ever been treated badly.

BTW my recovery has gone pretty smooth. My only real problem has been hemeroids which the doc gave me a script for. He said that was because he had to scrape my bowels and intestines to remove adhesions.
Unread 12-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Bad hospital stay

I would let everyone who should know how their hospital is run know what happened to you!!! How scary! And what bad press! In my area of the country we have a lot of hospital competition and I think that makes all of them do their best in patient care. I don't know how the competition is in your area but you can definently do some PR damage if there is more than one. My hospital stay was wonderful! I can't imagine having a terrible time at the one place that should know better when you are at your most vunerable. Yell to someone!!!!
Unread 12-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Bad hospital stay

I had a great hospital stay except for my second night at the casatle. Theo voer night nurse never came in in introduced herself like all the other ones I had, and not once did she take my vitals the whole night! My niece stayed with me in the hospital and had to go get her when I got sick that night. She came in and handed me a couple of paper towels so that I could wipe my mouth once I was done vomiting (and she did not wait til I was done), and then did not even come back to check on me later to see if I was ok! I reported her to my Dr the next morning.
But everyone else was great!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register