changes in sense of smell and taste buds after tah | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

changes in sense of smell and taste buds after tah changes in sense of smell and taste buds after tah

Unread 11-28-2007, 10:51 AM
changes in sense of smell and taste buds after tah

Hi,
I had my TAH the Day after Thanksgiving-everything was removed kept my ovaries. Came home Monday.
I noticed my sense of smell became more sensitive and my taste buds have changed. For instance I have no tolerance for apple sauce or sweet food anymore-it gives me a sugar rush. Like my cranberries,
Has anyone experienced this? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2007, 12:02 PM

Contessa, I've noticed some changes in my taste buds which I think is related to me not being hungry for certain things that I used to crave. I've also noticed that I have some bloody stuff in one nostril when I blow my nose. I'd say this has to do with the oxygen somehow. And your sense of smell affects your taste buds and appetite. Wonder is this is just temporary??
Unread 11-28-2007, 12:13 PM

Hi Katie:
I am glad you mentioned about the bloody stuff in one nostril I expereinced the same thing the 1st 2 days in the hospital. I have such a sweet tooth when I like my usual apple sauce etc it gives me a rush. Cranberries are tolerable to me. I had Boston Market creamed spinach, mashed potatos and meatloaf for lunch . Did fine with it. Also did you notice a breakout on your face after anthesia? I did . As soon as I arrived home I had a relative go out to the store to get some really good skin products.
I will use my recovery time well and pamper myself. I have 6 week med leave from work. I noticed my energy get zapped easily,for instance I lov etoread --I fell asleep not able to finsih one chapter. Iam an active person this is all new for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2007, 12:39 PM

I noticed some weird smell and taste sensations after my TAH. I had similar experiences when I was pregnant, so I am thinking it must be a hormonal adjustment. I was smelling things no one else smelled! And things that normally smelled good really made me nauseous. It went away after a week or so, though.
Unread 11-28-2007, 01:08 PM

Before my surgery I had a huge thing for Hummus, had it for lunch every day and sometimes later in the evening...

After surgery I couldn't eat it at all...I've read posts of others having the same problems with food and also with pop.....

I still haven't gotten the same taste for hummus back that I used to but others have gotten theirs back in time...So we'll see...

Some think maybe the anesthesia and medications may play a part in it....
Unread 11-28-2007, 01:32 PM

Well I had my TAH done on the 20th and came home on Thanksgiving the 22nd. I could've stayed longer but I had a roommate that was driving me crazy, but thats a different story. I too had the nose stuff, I was just told its from the oxygen drying out your nasal passages and can cause a little bleeding.

Since the surgery I cannot stand anything sweet. I am a huge chocolate fan and that even tastes too sweet. I first noticed it the night after surgery was done. They gave me some apple juice and they tested my blood sugar before I drank it. I am usually hypoglycemic (low blood sugar around 60-70), but my blood sugar was 140 !!! They said they made it a new policy that they check all new admits blood sugar, especially after surgery because the anesthesia can cause your blood sugar to spike. They said thats probably why the apple juice tasted so sweet. But I'm 8 days post op now and still can't stand it. They did test my blood before I left and dr said blood test was good.

I thought this was just me, I'm glad to know there are others who have this going on too.
Unread 11-28-2007, 01:50 PM

Iam smiling ..I had the same reaction to apple juice and chocolate. Iam the biggest chocoholic tried to eat a Chocolate Turkey left over from Thanksgiving yesterday . Couldnt eat it. My finger was pricked at the hospital to check for blood sugar although Iam not a diabetic.
Well Iam sticking to seltzer water, V8, coffee and diluted grape juice for now.
Unread 11-28-2007, 05:09 PM

I have always had an exeptionally keen sense of smell and still do. For me, it's the appetite that has changed. Nothing sounds good, smells good or interests me. I haven't had fast food since the hyster and don't care if I ever do again! It's a turn-off for me now. I cooked the entire Thanksgiving dinner and just tolerated it, threw out an entire pumpkin pie and half of a chocolate pie. I didn't even enjoy the smell of the turkey baking! Sad, huh? I eat because I feel my stomach growl and if I get too hungry, I get a migraine and get really mean. It's a frustrating scenario. Wonder if it will change again....
Unread 11-28-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug78
I have always had an exeptionally keen sense of smell and still do. For me, it's the appetite that has changed. Nothing sounds good, smells good or interests me. I haven't had fast food since the hyster and don't care if I ever do again! It's a turn-off for me now. I cooked the entire Thanksgiving dinner and just tolerated it, threw out an entire pumpkin pie and half of a chocolate pie. I didn't even enjoy the smell of the turkey baking! Sad, huh? I eat because I feel my stomach growl and if I get too hungry, I get a migraine and get really mean. It's a frustrating scenario. Wonder if it will change again....
I have an exceptional sense of smell as well...I keep telling people I could be a drug-sniffing dog at the airport...but I really haven't had a great appetite either and I had my hysterectomy on the 10th of October. I've only had a couple times I ate and ate, other than that...not much. And I'm wondering why I'm NOT hearing my stomach growl...it hasn't since the surgery. Strange.

I've had this really salty taste in my mouth since Thanksgiving - I brined the turkey this time (first time) and I thought at first it was just an overly salty turkey, but it's still not going away. Mentioned it to the doctor and he didn't think much of it...I've had it happen to me once before only, for the life of me, I cannot remember if it was in conjuction with another one of my surgeries or not.
Unread 11-28-2007, 08:45 PM

I have noticed the same thing. Food smells do not appeal to me. Sometimes if I go ahead and just eat a little anyway it doesnt taste bad.

But my appetite is definitely not the same and it was before surgery. And I was limited before surgery because of my gall stones.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register