shivering, hot & cold day 7 post-op, -infection? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

shivering, hot & cold day 7 post-op, -infection? shivering, hot & cold day 7 post-op, -infection?

Unread 11-29-2007, 04:21 AM
shivering, hot & cold day 7 post-op, -infection?

HI Sisters,

it's 10pm here in Australia, so I don't want to page my surgeon (I'll call first thing in the morning), but has anyone else had similar symptoms? I'm wondering if I may have an infection?

I had a TVH on Nov 22nd, and kept my ovaries.

My recovery was going great until yesterday afternoon, when I felt exhausted, and tonight have been shivering and cold, but right now am hot (?hot flash?). I've had 2-3 other hot ` moments' during the day where I need to take one or two layers of clothes off. I've also been going to wee about every hour, sometimes more frequent.

Does anyone have any suggestions or words of wisdom for me?

I'm not looking forward to an uncomfortable night ahead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2007, 06:05 AM

Hi Mikkyd. The hot and cold thing could be an infection or your body regulating itself after your hysterectomy. I didn't keep my ovaries but had to get rid of them due to endometriosis...and am on HRT. I still get mild hot flashes. Also your bladder could be spasming, like mine did and not want to entirely empty when you go. I was told this is normal and could last a few weeks post op. You are right to call your doctor and follow-up with him/her...it could be a bladder infection. But your doctor can do a simple urine test and find that out. Are you running a fever? Hope you find out soon what's wrong. Sending a hug your way!
Unread 11-29-2007, 01:27 PM

thanks noble1 for your reply. I'll call the Dr shortly. I have had a slight fever 38 degrees C (don't know the farreheit equivalent).

hope my body gets adjusted soon if that's what it's doing, as it's been quite unpleasant. At least I'm not shivering this morning.

Hope to get some questions answered this morning.

good luck with the rest of your recovery too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2007, 01:55 PM

Mikkyd ~

I am glad you are planning to call your Dr first thing. I did have a post op infection. I definitley had the shivering, chills, and fatigue. When I saw my Dr he said the fever combined withe feeling worse instead of better were flags to look for a post op infection. I had my CT yesterday which confirmed his suspicions. It could also be a UTI. Just please be careful. My Dr told told me yesterday to have a very low threshhold about calling him. I hope your Dr is the same way. There are no dumb questions and your not bugging them.

Good Luck!! I wish you well....

Starbgirl
Unread 11-30-2007, 02:23 PM

Thanks Starbgirl for your reply. I did call my Dr and have a pelvic infection. Am on two lots of antibiotics, and actually feel heeps better already, and it's not yet 24 hours after starting them! So glad to be onto it quickly!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register