Hysterectomy choices | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy choices Hysterectomy choices

Unread 11-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Hysterectomy choices

Hi I am new here...It has been 3 weeks today since my TVH, BSO, Bladder surgery, and they found diverticulitis as well...as I read through posts, I wonder why so many have abdominal hysterectomies? I was told that recovery for a vaginal is way faster, but on some that I read they are released to do normal activities after two weeks, I don't even go to the doctor for 6 weeks...just confused...I wish I would of found you all before surgery...but then again I am feeling great, a little bit sore ..and I am anxious to get doing things...
45 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Hysterectomy choices

some people cant have vaginal hysterectomies because of fibroids or other medical conditions. i didnt want one because i wanted to keep my cervix. some like me are lucky they have the choice. if i couldnt have had the lsh, i would have chosen an abdominal to keep my cervix. recovery really depends on the person. theres lots of ladies here that have had a tah that heal faster than tvh. i'm glad youre feeling great!!
Unread 11-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Hysterectomy choices

thank you for your reply, I was just wondering, I feel so bad for those who still hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Hysterectomy choices

I wondered the same thing and asked my doc why I couldn't have mine vaginally or laporscopically. He said I had too much going on. I had at least 3 different types of tumors/cysts on my uterus and ovaries and my left ovary was the size of an orange. He wanted to get in there and do a good job. The only way would be to do it abdominally. I don't hurt unless I over do it. I just hate sitting here doing nothing. I feel for all those in any kind of pain/discomfort and those who are bored out of their skulls!!!
Unread 11-30-2007, 12:03 AM
Hysterectomy choices

Hi Nixie, thanks for replying...I too am tired of sitting around. I told the family it was easier the two weeks staying in bed, cuz now that I am up and moving around I forget I am not supposed to do some things.
Hope your doing great...
Unread 11-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Hysterectomy choices

I wondered those same things before my surgery and asked the doctor to explain to me the differences. I had an LSH. I was back working with restrictions at 6 days, and completely released for everything, including sex in 2 weeks. I had a bleeding fibroid so my cervix, and ovaries didn't have to be removed. Laparscopic was an amazingly quick recovery with no pain after the first 2 days.
Unread 11-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Hysterectomy choices

In addition to vaginal hysterectomies not being an option for some women, my understanding is that there are many doctors who either lack the training or are uncomfortable performing the procedure vaginally. I read somewhere when I was researching that most residents now days don't learn to perform them or lack adequate experience in doing them. My doctor confirmed that.

I will second what someone else already said about recovery depending on the person. I had a TVH and continue to feel lousy, while some of those who had abdominals at the same time seem to being doing great. The only thing I was released for at 2 weeks was driving. All other bans are still in effect until I see my doctor again at 4 weeks.
Unread 11-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Hysterectomy choices

Driving is all I was told I could do now too. Won't see the doctor for 3 more weeks. my TVH was 3 weeks ago yesterday, I am still having to use a panty liner (not bleeding) but I continue to have light brown stuff on it...I wonder if that is normal???
Unread 12-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Hysterectomy choices

i had to have an abdo, as my uterus was soooo large. but, after i'd talked to a friend who'd had it done, she chose the abdo for hers, as her daughter whose a theatre nurse, advised that there were less "returns" with the abdo's, coming back for prolapses. the thought of another surgery would be enough to turn me off as well ! ! also, her nursey daughter suggested that having her vagina stretched way to hell at her age would not be pleasant afterwards, for having sex ! ! lol......cute daughter, eh?........ well, at least she admits that her parents still have sex - most kids don't even want to think that their parents could possibly even think about it, or even ever did it .....lol...... gee.
Unread 12-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Hysterectomy choices

Hi Genevieve07, my doc said I had a large uterus too 151 grams, normal he said is 50 to 80 grams...I like that I don't have incisions, so I guess mine was right for me...so far....hope you are doing great with yours..I am looking forward to getting back to normal stuff, 3 weeks to go...take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register