still not sleeping through the night | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

still not sleeping through the night still not sleeping through the night

Unread 11-29-2007, 01:53 PM
still not sleeping through the night

Hi to everyone
I havent posted for a while so here i am now, i would please like to know how much your sleeping pattern has changed since your ops, if it has. Im almost 4 months postop TAH/BSO an STILL dont sleep through the night, ive tried OTC remedies, they dont seem to help so im going to see my doc next week to get my prescription for my livial tablets and while im there im going to mention this sleeping/ waking up 3 times a night trouble to him as i really thought my sleep would be back to normal by now Will it ever get back to normal? im starting work in january and dont want to be walking around feeling like a zombie. What did you do to help it?, mild sleeping pills? or is it not a good idea to go down that road? I would appreciate your opinions on what you did. Thanks.

Unread 11-29-2007, 01:55 PM

Any idea what is waking you up? I still wake up a couple of times but it is bladder related. If you can figure out what is waking you up maybe that would be a better issue to deal with.
Unread 11-29-2007, 02:02 PM

I was on Ambien or Ambien CR for seven months post op because of insomnia. I slept with the air set on 60 and a fan going in my room even in February when it was 30 degrees outside. I also used a Chillow. That helped. But it got a lot better after I started estrogen replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2007, 03:39 PM

Thanks both of you,
I have found that im extremly thirsty when i wake up, i NEVER had night time thirst before my hyst, so maybe that is what is causing me to wake, i dont really know. I have to keep a bottle of juice at the side of my bed now. I will mention this to my doctor and also the ambiem. Sticher8, did you feel ok in the morning when you woke, after taking ambien, i just wondered because i know some sleep meds can make you feel pretty crappy through the day?
Unread 11-29-2007, 03:58 PM

you might need your hrt adjusted but if you need a sleep aid, dont feel guilty. thats what theyre made for. your body cant function or heal when its sleep deprived.
Unread 11-29-2007, 06:24 PM

When I could get a full eight hours sleep, I didn't have a problem with the Ambien. But for some reason, I almost never got a full eight hours and ended up feeling really tired and taking a nap. I was taking the 10 mg Ambien or 12.5 mg Ambien CR though. The smaller dose didn't work for me as well. The worst part of it for me was the rebound insomnia. The first night I didn't take the Ambien, I would have trouble sleeping. But then it straightened out. Also I tried to only take it every two or three nights. But there were plenty of times when I took it every night. I found that if I didn't get sleep I would be really mean hearted and ugly to the people around me. So I was better off taking the Ambien and getting my sleep.
Unread 11-30-2007, 10:21 PM

I am having a hard time sleeping through the night. I just cannot seem to get comfortable. No matter if I lay on my back or side. Then if I sleep, I will wake up to go to the bathroom several times. This is so out of the norm for me.

My gyn refuses to give me anything for it. I haven't been to my pcp yet. I will see my pcp next week.

I try to keep busy during the day, and not to nap excessively. However, since my surgery I have noticed that I am sleeping alot during the day. I can be watching a dvd or reading a book, and out I go.

Any idea's for sleeping through the night?

Blessings all around.
Unread 11-30-2007, 10:29 PM

Roseptl,
I am having the same problems with the daytime naps. After lunch each day, I was taking a 2 hour nap (totally out for the count) which was keeping me up at night. Well, I have stayed "busy" and avoided the naps for the last 3/4 days and still am having trouble sleeping.

Everyone tells me that I need my rest (sleep) in order to heal properly. I might call the dr next week and get some meds to help.
Unread 11-30-2007, 10:59 PM

Hi liteshade. We had surgery on the same date. I didn't sleep for weeks! OTC sleep meds didn't help so my doc tried prescription sleep meds, then xanax. Nothing worked and I got a maximum of 3 hours of sleep at a time. Then....at my 8 week checkup, I was given Premarin. After two weeks on the HRT, I was sleeping through the night. I went from 3 hrs a night to 6. After 4 weeks on an HRT, I was sleeping a full 7 to 8 hrs. Good news, I still get better sleep. There's no doubt in my mind that it was all hormone related. I also had a BSO and went into surgical menopause. I hope this helps.
Unread 11-30-2007, 11:49 PM

For myself, there are several practical things I try NEVER to do if I wake in the night. 1) I never turn on the light. If I need to use the toilet, I know where everything is and don't need the light. 2) I never look at the clock. This just causes me to wake up even more. 3) I try not to get all stressed about having woken up AGAIN 4) I try not to eat heavy meals at night and 5) I don't drink anything after about 8 or 9 (guess this would not be helpful for you, since you are waking up thirsty! Do you think you may be breathing thru your mouth - perhaps from sleeping on your back?)
I used to get VERY UPSET if I didn't get what I deemed the correct number of hours of sleep. I found once I quit worrying about how many hours I had slept, and started being thankful for whatever hours I had gotten, I was much more peaceful and rested in the morning - no matter what happened the night before!
Here's to a restful night for us all!
Lori

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register