Question for those with hematoma experience | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question for those with hematoma experience Question for those with hematoma experience

Unread 11-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Question for those with hematoma experience

HI there, this is my first post. Hope someone can help me. I had a TAH Nov. 13, with some complications that kept me in the hospital a bit longer than normal (spiked temp and very low blood pressure). When I came home, I had gained 16 lbs and had a belly that looked like I was 12 months pregnant. After drinking tons of water, laying flat except a few laps around my bedroom, I've reduced the swelling to something more reasonable, but found that I have a very hard mass just above my incision. Since I started bleeding, I went to the doc, and he said it was most likely a hematoma, and that it's best just to let it run it's course. The pressure from this hematoma is extrememly painful, making it very difficult to sit in a normal position, and of course, walking is hard also.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Is there ANY miracle aid that can help it go down faster?? Any good news out there to give me hope? Before this surgery, I had the flattest abdomen ever, now I look pregnant. How in the world can someone have a tummy tuck at the same time as their hyst????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2007, 04:04 PM

I didn't have a hematoma with my hyst. but I did with a breast augmentaion that I had about 3 months ago. The doctor told me that it would take about 3 months for it to disolve on it's own. Let me warn you about something... mine started bleeding through the incision. Old, black blood (which my personal physician was happy about) Because of the bleeding, my plastic surgeon went in and sucked out the hematoma and I healed wonderfully and quickly.

Not sure this helps you at all, but I hope it does.
Unread 11-30-2007, 03:02 PM

I too had a hematoma develop at my incision. A 1 1/2 inch are opened and bled (dark blood) out.

For one week twice a day it had to be packed. I was also put on antibiotics.

A week later my Doctor took me back into surgery for a 15 minute procedure (was not healing as quickly as he liked) where he inspected the entire incision, removed another clot and put in a JP tube.

Four days later the tube was removed, seven days later the staples were removed.

I saw my Doctor today (next week is my 6 week mark) everything has healed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2007, 06:58 PM

I was told that the dark blood was actually good because the body was getting rid of the hematoma. I was thankful though that the PS went in and sucked out the other clots.
Like you said Songbird, it was a 15 min procedure.
Unread 11-30-2007, 09:44 PM

I am 10 weeks post op TAH/BSO on Sept 20. I am currently dealing with a hematoma also. The dr discoverd mine because my hemoglobin dropped-it was 6.8 after surgery and at 6 weeks post op it had come up to 11 with a multi-vitamin. I was still having pain the entire time. I was scheduled to go back to work at 8 weeks post op. Went to the doctor the day before I was to go back to work because of continued pain in my abdomen and legs. My hemoglobin had dropped to 9.2. Dr consulted with other drs. and decided since I wasn't losing any blood that I could see he recommended a CT to rule out a blood clot. He said I had to be losing blood somewhere. The CT showed a hemotoma the size of a grapefruit. He is taking the wait and see approach also. He says hopefully my body will absorb it own its on. This is safer than putting in a drain line because of the risk of infection. He told me to take it easy, listen to my body. Avoid heavy lifting and getting hit in the abdomen. If I have horrible pain or start to run a fever he said to go to the ER immediately. I understand what you are going through. It is awful pain-my legs kill me when I sit to long or stand to long. Dr said the hematoma is most likely pressing on a nerve. My abdomen hurts and I also have the swelly belly. I can't return to work for another 3 weeks. Wish I had better news or advice. Just take it easy, rest and listen to your body. I'll be praying for you. God bless you.
Unread 11-30-2007, 11:17 PM

I had a hematoma the 2nd week after my surgery, which was Sept 25, 2007. I too was very uncomfortable, it was hard to sit in a normal position because of all the pressure. I went to my dr and he decided I needed to go have it drained to relieve the pressure. Unfortunately, the hospital couldn't get me in till a week later and by then I felt like I was going to pop. Sorry to tell you there's no miracle cure for it and it's just got to take it's course. I had no luck with my body trying to reabsorb it and must tell you that as soon as the doctor started to drain I felt instant relief. My doctor has also had me on antibiotics the whole time. I'm on week 9 post op now and still have a hole in my incision line from where they had to drain the hematoma. I now have to have the hole packed every 24 hours, and have been doing that for 11 days now. Today is the first day that I have had no drainage since my surgery. Good luck to you, hang in there, I promise it gets better! On a brighter note, I haven't had to deal with one of those AWFUL periods for two whole months now!! It really is worth it! I'll be saying a prayer for you.

TAH, adenomyosis
Unread 12-01-2007, 08:52 AM

Hi! MJ, hematoma (((sister))), reporting for duty.

Because my belly was very numb after my surgery, my hematoma (later renamed a seroma because it kept filling up with fluid after draining) wasn't diagnosed until I was 7 months post-op. I just thought I had never-ending swelly-belly and was a slow healer. Finally, when the numbness left, the pain set in -- and it was not fun.

My hematoma was in front of the abdominal wall, and ran along my incision. It was 19x9x4 cm. and it hurt ALOT. My doc explained that blood is very irritating when it's not where it's supposed to be, and that makes sense to me.

Unless a hematoma is infected, docs really do prefer to let the blood collection try to reabsorb into the body on its own. This is because any treatment (draining, surgery, etc.) simply gives another chance for the body to become infected and have yet *another* wound-healing problem, which is not what you want right now.

My docs told me to abstain from any abdominal exercise or straining (in fact, they put me back on full lifting restrictions and didn't really even want me to drive long distances) because the area needs to rest to heal. They also told me to watch myself very carefully for any signs of infection.

Also, my doctor went from being rather skeptical that I was in pain to asking me if Percoset was going to be strong enough. Hematomas can be very painful, so if you're hurting, don't be afraid to ask for pain meds to help you stay comfortable.

By the time my hematoma was discovered, it had gotten very comfortable in my abdomen and had even formed a skin around itself. They attempted to drain it three times, but it kept filling up with fluid each time (at which time it was renamed a seroma). Finally, one day before my first hysterversary, I had another surgery to remove the hematoma capsule. They opened my abdomen and there it was -- the doc said it looked like a slightly flattened basketball.

The good news here is that yours was caught early, so there's a good chance yours will be able to resolve on its own with watchful waiting and other treatments. (Mine got worse because I didn't know I had it -- so I was lifting and doing all sorts of things I shouldn't have been doing and unknowingly making things much worse.)

to you. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Unread 12-01-2007, 02:09 PM

Sounds gross, but my doc told me to kind of massage it so that it didn't get the "sack" around it that MJD is talking about.
Unread 12-01-2007, 09:07 PM

Wow MJ! That's a lot to go through. You've got me thinking about my situation now because my hematoma filled back up too, this is the 3rd time. I see my doc on Monday and am definately going to ask him about this. I have the swelly belly so bad on some days I look 5 months pregnant and figured this must be normal. Thanks for the heads up!

TAH, adenomyosis
Unread 12-06-2007, 12:02 PM

Thanks everyone for all your support. I'm going to give you an update on my situation.... The good, the bad, and the ugly but beautiful!

After two weeks of not being able to sit, stand or walk due to the tremendous pressure I had in the area of my left leg/incision.. and being so frustrated that I was completely dysfunctional... I decided to try putting on some pantyhouse to hold my hematoma up so that I could actually use my hands when I wasn't lying down. I got up, and went to the movies... (the first time I'd been out of the house for 3 weeks) and then came home and went to bed. I could walk, albeit slower than a 100yr old, without holding myself--important for being in public--LOL. The next day, I started bleeding vaginally more than before, and my hematoma had flattened tremendously, so that I can now function like a normal person. YeAH! The bad news, is that I basically redistributed the pooled blood across my whole abdomen, so that I now have reclaimed that swelly belly (previously down to nothing) and a constant burning sensation, which I know is from pressure, and the blood being where it's not supposed to be.

I was scared because I was bleeding more, and went back to my dr. Saw a very nice nurse practitioner, who told me it was probably a good thing what I did, and the best thing to reduce the hematoma was to put moist heat on it to increase circulation. She explained to me that a hematoma is like a bruise, and you know how long bruises take to go away?? So depending on how large a mass there is, that will determine how long it takes to resolve. She said bleeding was coming from the hematoma, and that as long as I wasn't soaking through a pad in 2 hours, it was okay.

The good news is 4 days after the pantyhose incident, my left side is practically normal, and the swelling in the rest of my abdomen is diminishing slowly, but enough to see a small difference every day. And even though I still have swelling and feel the pressure of fluids being where they normally are not, I can walk, sit, stand, lean over, basically do everything movement that I could do before and I can actually feel my abdominal muscles again, which I couldn't find previously!

I am hopeful now that the future is bright and no longer feeling like a prisoner to my hematoma!!! Life is good! And getting better every day!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register