help with sleeping? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

help with sleeping? help with sleeping?

Unread 11-29-2007, 06:53 PM
help with sleeping?

dose any one know a natural sleeping aid, I have been using over tthe counter and would like stop taking them. I have a hard time going to sleep because my mind will work over time. I am having my tvh on dec 14th so my mind really working overtime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2007, 06:55 PM
help with sleeping?

warm milk

sleeptime tea from celestial seasonings

valerian root
Unread 11-29-2007, 07:17 PM
help with sleeping?

Be careful with herbs and herbal teas as you're getting close to your surgery date... they may be contraindicated. Valerian is on the list of herbs found in this thread at the top of this forum:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/announcement.php?f=23

I would suggest trying aromatherapy. Lavender, for instance, is reputed to be helpful with inducing sleep. I have some bath salts that contain Lavender that I've been using.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2007, 08:29 PM
help with sleeping?

Hi, After my TAH/BSO 6 weeks ago I have been having a terrible time falling asleep. My body is tired but I just couldn't go to sleep I found a post on this site that recommended drinking Ovaltine before bed to help with sleep. I know it sounds crazy but it works! Some nights I still have trouble but most of the time it really helps. I know that not sleeping well absolutely makes me crazy. I hope this helps and that you can get some sleep

s and Blessings, Lisa
Unread 11-29-2007, 08:50 PM
help with sleeping?

I have tried using Melatonin which just relaxes the body. It seems to work. Though since I have had my surgery I haven't taken it as I was on pain pills and didn't know the side effects. The other thing besides Lavender I have heard is warm milk and a warm bath. Not sure as I still suffer insomnia.

Hope those suggestions might help.
Unread 11-30-2007, 08:11 AM
help with sleeping?

I think that you should discuss this with your dr. This close to your surgery you want to be sure that you don't do anything that would compromise or risk a postponment.

Staying busy is what helped me most. I would be tired enough to sleep some.

S
Unread 11-30-2007, 07:56 PM
help with sleeping?

Have you tried taking a bubblebath with the baby aromatherapy from Johnson & Johnson. I keep a bottle for times just like this. I light some candles and just zone out. Just make sure you don't fall asleep in the tub. GL to you.
Unread 11-30-2007, 08:06 PM
help with sleeping?

Oh, do I have a "natural" sleep aid for you! I'll send over some of my old college textbooks. They worked like a charm 25 years ago.

OK, just kidding. For me, this is what works: Warm milk (really! I add a little sugar or honey and cinnamon), eating turkey for a late supper (there's a reason everyone naps on Thanksgiving after dinner!), and Sleepytime tea really does work!

A brisk walk outside helps get your dinner digesting well, and also helps tire you out a little.

Also, try some natural lavendar-scented lotion, bubble bath, or body spray. (I think the baby aromatherapy stuff suggested by the other (((sister))) is lavendar-scented.) The scent of lavendar is very calming. A foot soak in lavendar-scented bath oil puts me in a very relaxed mode!

Wishing you many nights of good !!
Unread 12-01-2007, 03:45 AM
helping with sleep....another idea....

I have tried this before and maybe it would work for you also. I am not sure what time you go to bed at or for how long you are awake during the night for but what you do is stay up that much longer at night and instead of waking up during the night you might get that much sleep uninterupted. Sorry not making much sense but here is an example of how it works....

Let's say you go to bed at 10 pm and you are up from 2 am until 4 am. Then you would start to go to bed at midnight and hopefully would then sleep straight through until whatever time.

This worked for me the other night but no such luck the last 2 nights. I am hoping that my mind will settle down soon and I will catch up on sleep then.

Hope that helps

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register