Side sleeping | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Side sleeping Side sleeping

Unread 11-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Side sleeping

Anyone else having problems sleeping on their side?
I am 4 weeks post op, been released by my surgeon/dr as of Wednesday to normal activity (which I thought was too soon, but dr said I healed like a rose) and still can not sleep on my side and this is killing me as I am a side sleeper. I've been sleeping on my back since surgery and my back is killing me!
I've tried pillows and can't get comfortable, I feel like I am going to rip something inside.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

TAH/BSO October 29, 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Side sleeping

do you feel like youre going to rip or is it painful? i have always been able to sleep on my side after surgeries...even if i needed a pillow in front of my belly. if its fear that you will rip something, you wont. i actually have always woken up in recovery from every surgery on my side...my body must go into that position. i've never ripped anything. i cant imagine having to sleep on my back for that long...i'm not really sure i could
Unread 11-30-2007, 01:41 PM
might be fear

I think it is fear, and I do feel pulling, but this is the first surgery I have ever had and I am nervous about these internal stitches. The dr herself told me that I wouldn't tear them, but when I lay on my side it is very uncomfortable and I fear that if I move the wrong way, it will pull something apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Side sleeping

i hope that feeling goes away for you soon. have you tried a body pillow that you can rest your middle on and place your leg over for support? thats all i can really think of to help you. good luck
Unread 11-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Side sleeping

After my surgery I had the same problem. What worked for me was a small travel size pillow placed uder my tummy for support. It made a world of difference. The big pillows were just too much and the small size was a perfect fit to support all the parts that felt weird while laying on my side.
Unread 11-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Side sleeping

Hi - I'm a side sleeper too! I asked in the hospital when I could try to go on my side and they said whenever I wanted! In the early days I used a normal sized pillow and now at 8 weeks out I lie on both my sides without any pillow but my left side still pulls! I sometimes just put my hand underneath, if you know what I mean!

Had my post op check up a week and a bit ago and the doc said everything was fine so I presume it will just go away eventually!

I wouldn't worry as long as you move slowly and there's no pain!
Unread 11-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Side sleeping

Me too! I'm a side sleeper and sleeping on my back was the worst. I tried pillows to raise my head and used a rolled up blanket one one side, and a down pillow that was up against my chair (I used as leverage to help me get myself out of bed) on the other side. I had a smaller travel pillow that I would put under my knees but nothing seemed to work. I never got a good night sleep and would wake up with major back pain and cramping in my legs. I am almost 5 weeks post op, and tried to sleep on my left side at about 3.5 weeks. I have more pain on my right side, so when I move on my right, I feel everything shifting around and it pulls/hurts with gravity. I tend to favor my left side now, but that's ONE side at least.

Try what the other gals suggested. I too sleep with a down pillow under my side and then it molds to my body. I also keep a small down travel pillow in arms reach (or under my knees if I fall asleep on my back), and then shimmy it between my legs with my feet while on my side. This really helps too. After I've moved into position on my left side, I reach behind me and move my rolled up blanket to support my back. Now when that's all done, I lie in bed AWAKE because I've spent soo much time trying to adjust things just-so... I tell ya, then in a few minutes, I have to go pee... It seems never ending.

I hope one day soon, I can roll around and sleep from side to side without even knowing it. Perhaps in the near future, I will be able to sleep for 5 hours straight? I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us.
Unread 12-01-2007, 03:50 AM
Side sleeping

I am in the same boat as everyone else except I am a semi tummy sleeper as well. Of course that is a major NO NO!

The nurses and doctor suggested the whole pillow thing and it isn't working for me either. Especially when I seem to need to use the bathroom every hour on the hour and then you go through the whole gammit of untangling yourself from the pillows and blankets. It's nuts.

If someone could bottle a solution for this problem, I'd consider buying it at this point in time. Between my hormones not allowing me to sleep and not being comfortable, I'm a mess.

Sorry I wasn't much help to you. The only other thing I can suggest is a tummy pillow. It might help keep your tummy comfortable as well as allow you to sleep on your side. It is an extra expense for what might be hopefully a short time but since it is shaped to a tummy it might work better than regular pillows.
Unread 12-01-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks!

For all the suggestions. It's nice to know that I am not the only one who is having this problem. I read so many threads where people have been sleeping on their sides since surgery and I would like to know how!
From what I have been reading about the pain I have been having on the right side, it sounds to me it is where the Dr "Knotted" the incision, which when I think about it makes since as to where it is located, because it does feel like something is poking from the inside out casuing the pain and pulling in the one area.
I too have a problem with going pee every hour! That is so funny. I aked my DR about it Wednesday when I went for my 4 week post op and she said I was fine, that it might be just the stitches dissolving up there and then released me to normal activities. And I was thinking "yeah right, I ahven't even beenout of bed that much do to the pains I am still having and she wants me to resume normal activity. And then when I try sleeping on my side and can't, I wonder what she thinks normal activity is. She even told me that I did not need to come back and see her, that I would just go see my obgyn in 6 months.
Thanks for listening! If we come up with any more ideas to help us sleep, we'll let each other know.
Unread 12-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Side sleeping

I agree that sleeping on the side is much more comfortable. I am only 2.5 weeks from surgery, and have had back aches from lying on my back so much, even with pillows under my knees for support (something I learned from my massage therapist). At first I took a fleece blanket and just smushed it up to fit the body shape that I needed, that seemed to work well. I also used pillows, for both tummy support, and back support,and at first a small one between my legs as well. I was luxourisly comforted and supported by down feathers! The side that I roll over on to get out of bed was the first side that didn't hurt too much. After I got used to laying on that side, I started working on the other side. Now, I toss and turn from side to side all night long, mostly waking up from night sweats.

The trips to the bathroom will slow down. And things will get better, I promise.

Hugs to you,
Patty

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register