Side sleeping - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Side sleeping Side sleeping

Unread 12-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Side sleeping

Always have been a side sleeper, except since surgery. I prefer my left side, but I really haven't been able to sleep on it. My surgery was more intense on the left, because of a cyst and adhesions of both the left ovary and fallopian tube. All of my remaining soreness is on the left. If I sleep on the left side, I pay for it the next day. So, I've learned to sleep on my back with plenty of pillows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Side Sleeping

I had the same problem. I was unable to sleep on my back once I was home from the hospital and no longer on the "big drugs". I found that a binder around my abdomen helped to keep me feeling like everything stayed "in place" when I was on my side. My sister had suggested this so I asked for one in the hospital. I'm sure you could get one at any medical supply store. Maybe the Swelly Belly would work as well. I slept with the binder on until about week 3. Now I'm comfortable to sleep without it and even wake up on my stomach.

TAH/BSO - November 7, 2007
Unread 12-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Side sleeping

I am also a side sleeper and I've been using a really soft (baby terry) pillow to support my tummy and it has really helped. But since a pillow has not worked for you, have you considered using the swelly belly band - it helped me when side sleeping. Or have you considered using a surgical binder to hold your tummy in place?

I bought one at my local pharmacy and have found that this wide elastic & velcro band has been very comfortable to wear when driving, walking, etc. I put it on while lying naked on the bed then put my panties on over it. This makes it possible to go to the bathroom without disturbing the binder. If the binder slips up on you, I have found that putting a 4 inch square of that rubber shelf liner on each hip under the binder (use the no slip, soft rubber stuff) works great to hold the binder in place.

If you can handle the pressure on your incision it might help. Let us know if this works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2007, 10:36 AM
pain when sleeping on side

Hello,
I also am a side sleeper. My surgery was on oct 22. Have been in constant pain since. Started with uti and 3weeks of antibiotics. Had ct scan and bladder scope, no damage but my bladder and pelvic muscle are going nuts. Just started detrol la and trying to get comfortable on my side is a nightmare. I have a pillow between my legs. By the time I do get comfortable and sleep for a litte, time to use the bathroom. My bladder and urethra and having major pain issues. No one can tell me why this is still going on. I wish the pain was anywhere else but there. I have used all my percacets from the hospital. I have a few loratabs from a previous surgery. I just can't stand the pain. Hoping my body is still in shock from the surgery and will heal soon. My gyn said I have healed and can't understand what is going on with me. Urology has no answers except probing more into my bladder. Can't go through the pain of that anymore. Has anyone had such issues after their surgery. Thanks.
Unread 12-04-2007, 02:45 PM
slept on side for first time!

Hi Girls:
Just wanted to update you on my side sleeping adventure. I tried everything you guys suggested. I finally forced my self to sleep with a feather pillow under by tummy and a pillow in between my legs cause I couldn't stand sleeping on back anymore. I was able to sleep for about 3 hours quit comfortably, but woke up and my incision felt really sore, I guess from the way that I was laying, so turned back over on my back.
Has anyone had this problem?
I am going to try again tonight. I think I just have to work through the soreness, because I am not used to putting pressure on it until now.
Unread 12-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Side sleeping

Hi Tigger2583,

As a fellow 'side-sleeper' I totally understand the want to get back over there when I go to lay down, especially at night. I had the worst time after surgery having to sleep on my back. I'd wake up not being able to get up and breathing was so painful, it felt like my lung had collapsed! My back had never hurt so much.

I really think it's just a matter of time. I tried everything. Pillows, quilts, my forearm - you name it. I completely understood your 'ripping' sensation. There is a stitch on either side of your incision called a facial stitch (sp?) that holds most everything together. This is the one that can cause a lot of the grief when moving / rolling etc. I quoted on another thread about how it felt like my insides were doing a re-enactment of The Poseiden Adventure and hanging on to the lining of my stomach for dear life...lol... It's not so much the part of your stomach that is in contact with the bed, for me it was the top part where everything felt like it was falling down and stretching. That and your incision gets to be painful.

The thing that started to ease it up for me was when I took a small pillow, jammed it against my stomach (in a loving way!!) and then held it there with my swelly belly band. That seemed to hold almost all of my stomach in, not just hold it 'up' if you know what I mean. Then I just got rid of the pillow and used the swelly belly band. This actually helped me slowly lower myself onto my front for a few minutes a day to give my back a break.

I was only able to roll over onto my side just a couple of days ago (I'm 5 weeks postop) and stay there for about an hour without assistance. Then of course I woke up and rolled onto my back at break neck speed... but hey... every little bit counts!!

Good luck ...
Unread 12-08-2007, 06:52 AM
Side sleeping

Hi Woobie1:

Thanks for the info! I am glad I am not the only one having this problem! I have been able to finally sleep on my side for just a few hours at a time. Thank god we have an adjustable bed though. We bought an adjustable bed with the memory foam mattress a couple years ago and thank god we kept it and just moved it into the guest room when we bought our new bed (wwhich is not adjustable) this year. It has been a godsend getting in and out of bed. However DH wants me to try to get back into our bedroom. I still can't get out of a "normal bed" comfortably enough to do that. With the adjustable bed, I put it in a sitting postion and am able to get out of bed! And it helps a little with the side sleeping to to raise up just slightly in the head area. I thought by the 5 week line, I would be doing a lot more. I will be 6 weeks post op this Monday and still having some pulling pain issues on my right side, seems like where my right ovary should be. But since it I don't have one there, it must be nerves or something.
Woobie1, You are just a couple days behind me! I had my TAH on October 29.
Unread 12-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Side sleeping

Hey Tigger2583,

Good thing about the adjustable bed, I found that I needed a big chair beside my bed to help me get out for that first week. I had a hell of a time moving around. I thought like you that I'd be doing more as well, but then I really quickly put it into perspective and think about what I COULDN'T do 5 weeks ago! And I'm starting to think the more I do around this place the more everyone is going to expect and I get myself into trouble that way. I get up in the morning thinking I'm feeling pretty good and I start getting busy and then something happens in my incision or a nasty twinge where my ovary was and I quickly get put back into my place!!!...lol...

I think the pulling on your side are the stitches and everything that had to be sutured back together. As well as organs and other bits still trying to find there new home in the Abyss.. (that's what I refer to it now!!). Last couple of days I've been having some serious burning like pains at the end of the left side of my incision. Seems to be a bit harder than the rest as well. I'm going to bring it up at my appt next Wednesday.

Here's to us all on Week 8.... YEAH.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register