Exercising ideas for 6 week postop? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Exercising ideas for 6 week postop? Exercising ideas for 6 week postop?

Unread 12-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Exercising ideas for 6 week postop?

I am 4 weeks & 3 days post-op now and am feeling great! I went out Thursday and joined a new gym that is near my house. Prior to my surgery I was working out at another gym regularly - weigh lifting and aerobic workouts. I am anxious to get back into my workouts but am really concerned about what I can do to start....I don't what to hurt myself or cause internal scarring.

What type of exercise is generally ok/good?

How much weight is ok at 6 weeks out?
For now I am limiting myself to the 10 lb rule. But I was doing 20-50lbs reps prior to the surgery.

Are there certain types of exercise I should do to help the healing process?

(My doctor has not given me any guidance so far and I don't expect much help from her in this issue - though I will ask).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2007, 11:02 PM
post op article

There is a great post op article about exercise. Just go to the post op home page and click articles - they are in ABC order.
Unread 12-02-2007, 05:59 AM

Do not trust the gym to help you. Most of them really have NO idea and will cause you more harm then not. Personally I would just stick to walking and maybe some water arobics once cleared for a pool.
I cant see anything else not pulling on the abs and that would not be good at 4 weeks out.
You could cause a lot more scaring inside. I had a breast reduction lst year november and I did to much feeling so good and now I have quite a wide scar on the right side.

Oops that reminds me to slow down to I just thought of this after reading your post I could be hurting my insides as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2007, 06:51 AM

when i went back, i did an hour on the cross trainer. its very low impact and moving your arms along with your legs is a great calorie burner. it also tones your arms, so you dont really have to worry about weights at this point. another machine i use is the machine that you set the weight and kneel on a pad and do pull ups. i do 48 of those a day. you might want to stay away from weight lifting for a little bit.
Unread 12-02-2007, 07:29 AM

(((rockgal)))
I feel the best and possibly only thing you can do in the gym until you're released by your dr is walking. Anything that could strain your abs has the ability to cause scar tissue and to possibly hurt you. I think it's harder for those women who feel so good to keep from hurting themselves because you body doesn't necessarily warn you of the risk you're taking. Having worked out on a regular basis doesn't guarantee that you won't hurt yourself now if you do things before your incisions and the tender tissue surrounding them are adequately healed.

Once you're released you'll want to start slowly and see what your body will tolerate without causing you pain. Often the fatigue is what slows us down too. I was also an avid exerciser before my surgery. I found it very difficult to get back to what I did before surgery. I ended up being sent to a physical therapist who helped me get to where I could work out again. Everything made me hurt, it was very frustrating. In the end what really helped was stretching first. I was so tight throughout my abdomen and groin area, it was no wonder I had so much pain.

We're all different in what our bodies will tolerate. Start out light on the weights and be aware that some women are given limitations for life on heavy lifting because of the increased danger of prolapse with the removal of the cervix. You should ask your dr about this too. Some drs seem to be very laid back and noncommittal, but it would be good for you to inform yourself so you don't risk doing anything that would cause harm. So much of this is individual and there are many factors that enter in to your own degree of risk.

Work back into it gradually. I hope everything goes well for you.
's, Rita
Unread 12-02-2007, 03:18 PM

I anticipated doing yoga and pilates along with swimming laps. I have a follow up visit in a week and a half and plan to get the ok.
Unread 12-02-2007, 08:13 PM

I definitely don't plan on doing anything more than walking until I get the Doctor's release and I will ask her for specific exercises I can do (at the gym and otherwise) as I gradually get back into an active lifestyle.

I am curious, can prolapse still occur if uterus, cervix and ovaries are all removed?

I looked over my exercise tracking records (kept these while working out to track my progress) I was doing a significant amount of upper body strengthing work, core strengthening and leg presses/lunges.

This type of workout will have to wait for a while I suspect but I hope to be able to get back to lifting weights aggressively in 6 months or so. Is this a reasonable goal?

Obviously - right now I am still taking it very easy (at least for me). I am one of those people who can't sit still. So even though I have been limiting myself to <10 lbs, I have been able to do dishes, laundry, cleaning fish tank, mouse cage, repotting small plants and similar house hold chores. I sleep often and rest whenever I feel I may be trying too much. So far I have not experienced any significant pain.

The most pain I feel is associated with sneezing or coughing. And this is getting so much better that I can actually almost cough hard enough to do some good without it hurting at all! Yeah!

I really appreciate all your thoughts and comments - this website is so helpful!
Unread 12-02-2007, 09:12 PM

Swimming is probably your best best. For the first few days, grab a kickboard and just kick your way thru your laps. You'll get an arobic workout with some muscle work but won't pull at the incision site (really only relevent if you had abdominal surgery). If you feel comfortable, do a couple regular laps with arms and legs. As the days go by, ease in more traditional laps. It's a good way to ease yourself back into strength training and get aerobic in a completely non inpact method. If you want to add a bit more resistance after a couple weeks, pick up a cheap long sleeve T-shirt and wear that whe you do your laps. Still no impact, no stretching or straining, just a bit more resistance to rebuild the upper body muscles you were working previously.
Unread 12-02-2007, 09:41 PM

Ditto above Just Fenix. I just found that out TODAY. I backpacked big time a month ago, have walked, did some weights and then got a groin pull this week from apparently rolling over in bed or taking out the trash. So jogging is too painful. I just went and swam slow laps today and did some kick board work. Well, I know what I am doing this winter! It was a good work out, relaxing, not painful, I had a TAH and the stretching in swimming, slow mind you, just felt sooo good. As soon as you are cleared to get in the water, this is a great way to go and a winter activity too.
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:33 PM

Hadn't thought about swimming - great idea. It is a great aerobic workout and definitely low impact. Kickboard is a good idea too since I am a bit tight when stretching arms overhead.

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. Can't wait to go to the doc and get clearance to exercise...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register