Exercising ideas for 6 week postop? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Exercising ideas for 6 week postop? Exercising ideas for 6 week postop?

Unread 12-04-2007, 05:40 AM
Exercising ideas for 6 week postop?

rockgal,
In answer to your question about prolapse, yes there are several other ways we can experience prolapse. The bladder is suseptable, the wall between the vagaina and the rectum can collapse and in some cases the vagina itself has been known to fall.

I don't want to scare anyone, it's just wise to know the risks and one of the big ones is heavy lifting. Each of us needs to ask our drs how much of a risk it is for us. I also know some women who lift a ridiculous amount of weight, which is why I mentioned it, just in case. It wouldn't be worth the risk to me. It sounds like you are planning well and will do just fine.

's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2007, 07:25 PM

Thanks Rita,

I had no idea the bladder and vagina could have such issues. Since I have been having ongoing issues with my bladder since the surgery, I will ask about this specifically on Wednesday - My 6 week check up.

I seriously don't want to overdo and injure myself - I just want to get a start on tightening up and continuing to do what is necessary to get myself in better shape and also to do everything I can to prevent osteoperosis - now that I am at increased risk...

I know that each of us is different but I wonder if there are any published "guidelines" for exercise limitations following TAH...
Unread 12-09-2007, 08:00 PM

Hi there. I was cleared to run two weeks post-op and I had an abdominal supracervical (kept my ovaries but got a lovely 7-inch scar to prove it). It depends on what your doc will let you do. Mind told me that running doesn't strain your abdominal muscles, but it does help to keep them toned so that it was actually good for me because he didn't want me to let my stomach muscles atrophy. It actually took me another week before I could run more than a mile, but I've been running ever since. I definitely adhered to the weight rule, though, because I work with docs and they all warned me about incisional hernias, scar tissue and adhesions. I'd specifically talk to your doc, but mine was very receptive to me getting back to exercise.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2007, 08:11 PM

Rockgal:

Just FYI, I asked my doc about swimming or going in the jacuzzi. She did tell me to wait another 2 weeks (last Thursday at my 6 week checkup).
I plan on waiting at least another week after that.

Please be careful!!!!
Unread 12-09-2007, 09:32 PM

Hey 1Catlady - Good thoughts about swimming - I'll ask about this too on Wednesday.

Ouch - did you have gallbladder surgery following your TAH or at the same time?

I can't imagine having another surgery right now - this TAH has been difficult for me since it was my first surgery experience.

Hope you are feeling better!
Unread 12-09-2007, 09:34 PM

Glad it's over... Thanks for the running idea. My husband and I have been discussing getting back into running and I was wondering if the "jarring" would be too much. I used to run 5 miles a day (that was over 15 years ago).... I'd like to get back into that shape!

Enjoy your runs and be sure to take it easy until you are fully recovered!
Unread 12-09-2007, 09:35 PM

Hey Rockgal:

Yes, I had both surgeries at the same time with two different surgeons.

It was my first surgery too!!

I'm doing great!!! I now plan to do some Christmas shopping!!!

Tootles!!!
Unread 12-09-2007, 10:30 PM

Congrats! Glad you are feeling so well. Merry Christmas! I hope you find some great deals!

rockgal
Unread 12-10-2007, 08:45 AM

I have been working our 3 times a week for 2 years without much interruption until the surgery. Three weeks into recovery I was back at the Y on the treadmill. All I could do for exercise was walk, but I figured I light as well get my money's worth. I only managed 30-40 minutes at a relatively low speed and incline but I felt so much better about myself then than when I was just lying around. Check with your doctor first, though, before you do anything. Mine told me at my 6 week checkup I could go back to my regular routine, just to be sure that I didn't overdo things since I'd not been working out like I used to for a while. I need to take time to build myself back up.
Unread 12-14-2007, 03:28 PM

I have riding 20 minutes a night on my exercise bike for the past 1 and a half.started out slow and now I have never felt better.I have to make myself somenights but really feel and sleep better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register