Emergent Hysterectomy & Insurance Issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Emergent Hysterectomy & Insurance Issues Emergent Hysterectomy & Insurance Issues

Unread 12-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Emergent Hysterectomy & Insurance Issues

Well, I go to my doctor the other day because I was in pain (turned out to be a yeast infection) - and I go to check out and the receptionist tells me that my insurance has an issue with my hysterectomy being an "emergent procedure" as relatively all are "scheduled in advance".

Basically I was bleeding out and HAD to have SOMETHING done - that something turned out to be a hysterectomy the next day - but since I checked straight into the hospital from my gyno appointment and had the surgery the next day they don't seem to have "a code number" for anything such as that.

I was on the phone for a couple hours on Thursday...decided to hold off to talk to other people until Monday as I wanted to coordinate everything with everyone and not on a Friday so they forget to do something after the weekend. Seems someone somewhere dropped the ball and now I get to be the one to get someone to admit to it. The very nice lady I spoke with from my gyno's billing department believes it is the hospital that did not say it was an emergency type procedure - but we shall see Monday if they try to blame it on someone else and I end up playing the "runaround/phone tag" game for the better part of the afternoon. Someone's going to pay - this was a $2000+ fee (I'm figuring the hospital stay beforehand with some tests) - it wasn't the hysterectomy - that one's WAY higher. At least they aren't trying to weasel out of that one - but they aren't gonna weasel out of the other either.

Well...I can't believe I am the only one who had to get a hysterectomy without preparing for one...anyone else out there had a similar situation with having to get one done pronto?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2007, 06:27 PM

I wasn't quite as quick as you, but close--I was having sporadic vomiting but no other symptoms; a bad bout finally sent me to the ER, where the doctor diagnosed "a huge mass" and told me I needed a gynecological oncologist, immediately. I found one a couple of days later; he told me to show up in the hospital a few days later in the ER on Friday (I had no symptoms then, and it was a different hospital) and he'd admit me, have the pre-op testing done over the weekend, then he'd fit me in on Monday, his normal day to operate in that hospital. I didn't want to do it quite that fast; he said that scheduling it through his office would mean an 8-week wait, and I would undoubtedly have another vomiting-and-pain-festival again before then. So I went with his accelerated plan. He did me a huge favor--even though it meant a couple of extra days pre-surgery in the hospital, the whole thing was over before I had time to freak out.
Unread 12-02-2007, 08:34 PM

i didnt have a emergancy one but did have insurance problems , good luck
hugs
lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register