light headed a lot - anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

light headed a lot - anyone else? light headed a lot - anyone else?

Unread 12-01-2007, 06:16 PM
light headed a lot - anyone else?

Hello everyone,

I had a TAH/BSO on 11/27 - vertical incision on old c-section vertical scar. Apparently, bladder was totally adhered, uterus had some bad ahesions, and I'm unsure of how much bowel was involved.

Anyway - been home siince Thursday 11/30 - and last night I started with this very strange dizziness - worse when rising, but present when sitting in my recliner as well. At times, when I stand up, I feel like I'll fall right over. Sometimes, sitting in the chair, I can feel the dizziness washing over me. I called the Dr. on Friday evening and spoke instead with her nurse. I was told they were unsure what this might be, but if it got worse, to go to the ER. I don't want to go to the ER.

I have prescribed 2 percocet every 6 hours as needed for pain, and I have needed it, but was taking it as one of the Doc's suggested - one tab every 3 hours instead, to keep the med level more even. Today, fearing it might be the meds, I stopped taking them - and now, the pain is almost unbearable as well.

I'm having BM's - painful but present. There is minimal drainage from my incision site - slight pink to yellowish colored - no foul odor. My staples feel like they're tugging, but not intolorable. I've continued to use the Incentive Spirometer at home and have coughed up some yucky dark green mucus. Mostly, I feel clear, but sometimes short of breath.

I find myself wondering could it be blood pressure or oxygen saturation, but have none of the symptoms that would make one think that.

Anyone experience this? I'm kind of at a loss, but it's making me a little sick to my stomach sometimes too.

Thanks for advice,

Stacie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2007, 06:28 PM

I had that too. It went away after a few days. I don't know what it's from. I also had it after I had both of my kids and after gallbladder surgery. Are you anemic? Please don't quit the pain medication until you quit hurting. I know you feel bad right now but I promise you it does get better. I think the my TAH/BSO is the best thing I ever did.

God bless you,
Saundra
Unread 12-01-2007, 06:38 PM

Stacie-
It may be the pain making you nauseous, too. I STILL have to deal with that.
I was not on percocet, but did have some dizzy spells when getting up or when lying down sometimes I would just spin...
By the middle of the second week I realized the pain med was making me feel (and ACT) so nasty it wasn't worth taking, and switched to Tylenol.
It really could be your pain med doing this dizziness thing.
On the other hand, as you pointed out, it could be your lungs.
They were super-wary of pneumonia at my hospital. (Had to do breathing exercises every day, etc.) Maybe that's an issue.
I would 1) call a pharmacy and ask a pharmacist about side effects for percocet or research it on webmd.com;
2) keep calling the doc if it continues.

I don't know if this helps, but I DO hope you are able to solve this mystery!

tw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2007, 08:23 PM

I did alot the first two weeks . take it easy and get up slowly. feel beter soon
hugs
lisa
Unread 12-02-2007, 08:35 PM

I would suggest calling your doctor back in the morning and finding out what is going on as there are multiple reasons for lightheadiness. Possibly they can squeeze you in tomorrow -- I had to be squeezed in multiple times after my hyst. If your GYN cannot see you, check with your GP.

If you are coughing up some dark green ick, you could have a sinus infection, pnemonia, or other type of illness that could be making you lightheaded.

Some medications can cause lightedness. If you feel yours could be an issue and you have stopped taking the prescription medications and are experiencing pain, you should consider using some over the counter pain medication such as Advil or Tylenol.

Another thing to consider is your diet. Are you eating well enough? You may be experiencing some low sugars from a change in diet due to surgery. Additionally, are you drinking enough water? Dehydration could be the culprit as well.

I, too, dealt with lightheadiness complete with blacking out after my hyst. Mine was attributed to high pulse rate, high blood pressure, anemia, low blood sugar, dehydration, bascially the whole nine yards! But I was watched very carefully during that time and was under the care of several physicians.

Many best wishes to you and do go to ER or an Urgent Care facility if you feel worse.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register