8 weeks out did not expect this | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8 weeks out did not expect this 8 weeks out did not expect this

Unread 12-01-2007, 07:50 PM
8 weeks out did not expect this

I was 8 weeks yesterday. I stopped having discharge at about 31/2 weeks. This evening I went to the bathroom and saw that I had a light yellow discharge. Has anyone else had this at this point when previously discharge had stopped? Should I be concerned? Well even if I should not be I am. Just when I was getting used to the idea of stopping the underwear checks! Always on the weekends to. Well sisters I could definitely use your words of wisdom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2007, 08:47 PM

(((Mrswillie)))
I understand your concern. My first thought was, what kind of yellow is it? There is a yellow that can indicate an infection, which is usually accompanied by a nasty odor. There is another yellow that if you think about it you can tell it's from a dye. Many women have this from stitches dissolving because many of them are that yellow color. I had this, just a little earlier than you.

I suspect you may have some stitches that took longer to dissolve and you're just now seeing the discharge that announces their departure. If you feel bad and have any indication there could be infection be sure to call and ask your dr about this. It never hurts to call anyway when you are concerned about something. I hope this is the simple answer. Let us know how you do.
's, Rita
Unread 12-01-2007, 09:29 PM

Hi

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure if it is from dye. It is not a dark yellow and it looks natural, but it does not have a strong odor. My DH asked me that also. No odor, no fever, so I guess those are all good signs. I hope it is a stitch. I did not realize they might look like this. Thank you very much it gives me something else to think about besides negative reasons!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2007, 10:19 PM

I had a slight yellow discarge at about 3 1/2 weeks and lasted for about 3 weeks.....No fever and no ordor....

I've read alot of ladies don't believe that can be normal but that is what my DR told me.....

If in doubt call you Dr. to make sure.......
Unread 12-02-2007, 05:38 AM

I also had a slight yellow discharge. I thought it was from the premarin (supposed to be helping vaginal lubrication). I went to the doctor for a check on how the medication was working (at 3 1/2 months out) and mentioned the yellow discharge. He did an internal exam and said I had granulation (scar tissue). I was treated with silver nitrate applied to the cuff. I have had this done three times already, and the yellow discharge is almost gone.
If you are concerned, call your doctor.
Unread 12-02-2007, 05:03 PM

Thank you ladies for your replies. As usual you all have made me feel alot better. I am going to call in the morning just to be sure, but I expect they will say about the same as you all that there is really no worry.
Thanks for helping me get through the weekend!
Unread 12-02-2007, 05:31 PM

I actually have my four week checkup tomorrow and this was one of the questions on my list. I am also having discharge but no odor or fever. I was so looking forward to never wearing pads or pantyliners again. I will be sure to let you know what I find out - I'm pretty sure that I'm in for the oh so fun vaginal exam. At least then I will know exactly how I am healing instead of me just trying to figure it out on my own.
Unread 12-02-2007, 06:57 PM

Thank you Tammy, Good Luck!!
Unread 12-03-2007, 12:27 PM

Huggiebear...Let us all know what you find out today....I'm sure you will have no problem... I found that the vaginal exam wasn't nothing to worry about no pain or anything....

I can relate about wearing the panty liners...IT DOES END !!!

Anyway hope all went well!!!!!
Unread 12-03-2007, 12:57 PM

Hello ladies! I feel like a weight has been lifted! The vaginal exam was not that bad - didn't really hurt. I was just so nervous about it. She said that I am healing beautifully. Vaginal cuff stitches are doing well (no silver nitrate - yeah!) and should be totally dissolved in two weeks. I am cleared for driving, but sex has to wait for at least two more weeks. No problem with the extra waiting because I am nervous about that too! She did say that we can do whatever we want (oral sex or manual stimulation - I didn't even have to ask), but nothing can be inserted into the vaginal. No fingers, no penis, nothing. As far as the discharge, she said that it can last until the vaginal cuff stitches are completely dissolved. She said that I could spot a little after my first sexual experience following surgery, but that I shouldn't worry. And not everyone spots anyway.

I do not even have to go back to their office again. But I was told to follow up with my regular ob/gyn in 6-9 months. Not sure why so soon. But that's ok - I'm not complaining. I am just so thrilled to finally be getting closer to being my old self again. I am still under restriction as far as activity - she said that if I try to go to the mall for Christmas shopping (which I haven't done any of yet!) that I need to either have someone there to push me in a wheelchair or ride a motorized scooter. Apparently, a lot of stores and malls offer these for those who need them. I don't want to use anything, but I refuse to set back my recovery in any way. She said that the restriction is for at least two more weeks, but I could need up to four more weeks of taking it easy.

Another little bit of good news, I have lost 14 lbs in the four weeks since my surgery. This is the best news. I started Nurtisystem March 1st and had only lost 26 lbs before my surgery. But now I am down 40 lbs!!!! I have a lot left to lose, but it is encouraging that something good has come from this experience. Also, I guess I am one of the lucky ones as far as hormones. I haven't had many problems at all, and the nurse said that if I haven't already then I probably won't.

One last thought....I have been having terrible headaches (even my eyeballs hurt) almost everyday since the surgery and of course I'm not sleeping either. She said that both of these problems were more than likely caused from the anesthesia and should clear up within the next two months. I was beginning to think that I was going to have to go to an eye doctor because I have a history of migraines. It helps just knowing what is causing the problem.

Sorry this post got so long, but it just feels good to be able to share some good news for a change.

Wishing everyone a great day!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register