five days out can not pass gas still stuck in hospital any ideas HELP | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

five days out can not pass gas still stuck in hospital any ideas HELP five days out can not pass gas still stuck in hospital any ideas HELP

Unread 12-01-2007, 09:51 PM
five days out can not pass gas still stuck in hospital any ideas HELP

I am stuck here, I will be here for at least three days after I pass gas and I have imposed on everyone too long already to care for my kids. not too mention I WANT TO GO HOME I have walked all over this place too many times to count, I have laid on my tummy (not fun but bearable) tried hot showers and hot packs all to no aviail. Also I am having a hard time peeing, everytime I try to go I feel the let down then nothing happens. I have to stand up sway from side to side sit back down turn on warm water to put my hand in and finally go. I swear I can name every food I have ever eaten and I would be happy with even those I hate!! I am starving!!! I am literally losing 5 lbs a day, Please help me!!!!!

Pamir
aka Angela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2007, 10:26 PM

Oh, I know what you are talking about - I didn't pass gas for four days out and they had to give me a suppository to make it happen. They wouldn't let me leave the hospital until I did and all I did was hope one was finally going to come out. I wasn't going to lie about it just in case something wasn't right.

I was soooooooooo incredibly uncomfortable - well, you probably know the deal. And starving, too. I felt sure if they would just give me some REAL food I would be able to pass some gas - you know, maybe even a big bowl of beans or something. It was no fun. But when they gave me the suppository - gas finally came out. It was such a relief - I was in so much pain from the gas...and I couldn't try to push it out as they said that was a big "no-no" to push.

I also had some wonky bladder issues - I would sit and try to go - it would start and stop and start and stop and take a while before it would start, etc. They told me that was perfectly normal - did you ask about yours?

Also, maybe they can do the suppository thing with you? It certainly helped me out a lot.

Hope it happens for you soon - I certainly feel for you.

Oh...and are you allowed to lie on your stomach?? Did they say you could - I would ask first.
Unread 12-01-2007, 10:38 PM
nurses advice

when I was in the castle after my TAH the nurses told me to do what looked at the time to be deep knee bends (I think now they only looked deep because of how impossible it seemed to me to even attempt that! She actuallly only suggested to stand and bend a bit at both knees). Also, one told me to lay in bed on my back and bring my knee to my chest - another no go 3 days after abdominal surgery, as far as I was concerned! Finally, I would suggest drinking warmish water - not cold - as this can stimulate your system sometimes.
I'll be praying for you. Remember, the Book says "and it came to pass".... NOT it came to stay!!
Bless you.
Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2007, 10:17 AM

One of my nurses brought me "ginger tea". She mixed hot tea and gingerale. It wasn't my favorite drink, and I'll never drink it again, but I think it might have helped. Good luck,
I know it's miserable trying to do this so you can go home!

Diane
Unread 12-02-2007, 12:18 PM

with me since I had a bowel resection they will not let me have anything! I am even limited on the number of ice chips. I actually am not that sore from thr incision so I have tried the knee bends and wiast bends but nothing seems to work. Also I am so used to gas pains (because of the bowel blockage for so long) that it does not bother me. It has now been wver a week with out food and 6 days with out juice of any kind. The way this is going to work is pass gas one day light liquids then next day, liquids the next day regular food the next wait till I have a BM (which knowing my body could be up to 2 weeks) then I finally go home.

Angela
Unread 12-02-2007, 01:08 PM

One of my nurses brought in a rocking chair, saying that it worked every time when patients need help passing gas.
Sure enough, after rocking, walking, rocking walking and rocking some more - Poof!
And I got to go home.
Unread 12-02-2007, 02:43 PM

Pamir, what do your doctors say?
Unread 12-02-2007, 08:29 PM

just that it takes time. I go for a CT scan in the morning.

Angela
Unread 12-03-2007, 06:36 AM

So sorry you are not doing better. I had problems but not as bad as yours. the Dr gave me a suppository and it did make all the difference.
Unread 12-03-2007, 06:49 AM

very sorry to hear of your pain.. I had gas caught under my ribs and in my shoulder blades that cause my whole left side to go into spasms. I was able to pass gas.. and had tiny bowel movement so they sent me home. Unfortunately the gas became unbearable when I got home and was unable to lay down at all. I tried the heat to no avail, called the doctors office and they said to drink lots of water.. and walk..so i did for twelve hours straight.... What i found that gave me some relief finally was going to ice paks on the area in my ribs.. which stopped the spasms and i was able to lay down for the first time all day.. Then slammed another pak of ice on my shoulder to stop the spasms that started when i layed down.. I don't think.. in my opinion that heat helps but only makes it worse. It took four days for it to be completely gone.. but i drank alot of water and walked it seems for miles.. good luck and it will go away...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register