bright green drainage from TAH incision - anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bright green drainage from TAH incision - anyone? bright green drainage from TAH incision - anyone?

Unread 12-02-2007, 07:47 AM
bright green drainage from TAH incision - anyone?

Ok - I think that probably this is nothing to worry about, but I thought I'd check with you all.

I have a vertical incision with staples starting at my navel and going downward about 6 inches. As a "dressing" my Doc took one of those long OB pads, tucked the end (folded) up under my belly fold (I'm a pretty big girl) and let the rest of the pad lay along my incision. I change it 2 to 3 times a day as needed to keep my incision clean and dry.

Normally, this drainage is yellow (sometimes light sometimes dark) and pink - serosangonious - it is not at all foul smelling, but there is still pretty much draining. My Doc told me this is good, because then we have no risk of hematoma or anything like that.

This A.M. when cleaning my staples (soap and water) and changing the "dressing" i noticed bright green drainage in a couple of different areas. It appeared to travel along the edges of the yellow drainage. There was not a large quantity - but truly, the color reminds of gastric juice. It was not foul smelling.

I do not have a fever, but it does still hurt me to pass gas or have BMs - surgery was done on the 27th - so almost a week now. I have periods of nausea, but surely, if this were infection OR gastric fluids (from a nick to the bowel or something) I would be running a fever, right? I've already called the Doc on call about the light headedness I'm experiencing. I really don't want to panic or sound like a nervous nelly and call again - so tell me, what do you all think?

Thanks in advance,

Stacie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2007, 08:19 AM

I'm not a medical person but I think you should call the Doctor and tell him. Anything green coming out of an incision site does not sound normal. I hope he finds what the cause is. Maybe you just need some antibiotics for awhile. LOL, I hope you get well soon. I know this surgery is a big thing for the body to adjust to! Healing takes time.
Unread 12-02-2007, 09:01 AM

Been there done that. Get thyself to the er or dr quickly. I did not run a fever but ended up with a nasty infection caused by a hernia that partially strangled my bowels. The infection started with the green drainage and progressed from there. You never know. Please please see your dr or go to er. This is just my opinion and experience, so please do not assume the same will/is happening to you, but do get it checked quickly! Let us know, Jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2007, 02:38 PM

lpnintn

I agree with the other ((ladies)) that "bright green drainage" does not sound normal at all, and you need to seek medical attention as soon as possible.

Will you let us know how you get on? Take good care of yourself.

Unread 12-02-2007, 04:52 PM

I called and talked to the Dr. on call - and she wasn't concerned. She said if i start to run a fever, call her back, otherwise, it'll be ok until I see them for my 1 week follow up tomorrow. This is not my regular dr., but due to my reg. Dr. trying to amputate his own fingers (accidentally) the night before surgery, she is actually the Dr. that did the surgery. I guess I have to trust her, right?

Anyway - the incision is hot to the touch now, but according to my family members (who can see it while I cannot) it doesn't "look" infected. I'm having a lot of the yellow/pink discharge still - already changed pads twice. I noticed just a hint of the green again this afternoon. If it were more, I'd be much more freaked out. Thing is, I think I actually feel worse this evening - weaker, more easily out of breath, just a general "blah" feeling. I hope this isn't something developing. To quote my reg. Dr. - I'm a medical professional (nurse) - something always goes wrong with medical professionals - he told me this the day he discharged me from the hospital - the butt - now I"m really worried.

Oh well - I'll let you know more tomorrow afternoon.

Stacie
Unread 12-02-2007, 06:16 PM

Green drainage, hot to the touch, shortness of breath....I would say to go to the Emergency Room. This does not sound normal to me. If there's an infection brewing in there you need to get on top of it ASAP. I would go now, and not wait until tomorrow. It's always better to err on the side of caution.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register