What are the guidelines for returning to work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What are the guidelines for returning to work? What are the guidelines for returning to work?

Unread 12-02-2007, 03:39 PM
What are the guidelines for returning to work?

I know there is alot of discussion on returning to work. But what are the guidelines? What does you Dr use to determine if the time is right?

I have a desk job but a high level of stress. This week is the week we close out the month of November. It usually means long hours and lots of concentration. I work in the natural gas industry and this is the first month of cold weather. I want to do what is right and not impose on my coworkers. I was just out for six weeks the end of August and September for a corneal infection and temporary partial blindness. (Its cleared up and much better now)

I am so stressed on not knowing if I should push myself and I will get back in the groove or not. I hate this hanging over my head and worrying me. I am a good employee and dont want my boss giving me a bad reputation in the company.

I cant wait til January 1. I really need a new year and to start over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2007, 03:53 PM

i believe with a tah/bso the average is 6-8 weeks. it all depends on if you have any complications. i wouldnt push yourself.
i'm with you on the new year and starting over...hurry up 2008!!
Unread 12-02-2007, 04:11 PM

I think one of the guidelines for returning to work after a hysterectomy would be NOT to return gung ** right off the bat. I think that's too much. And you are still well within the 6 week benchmark.

We've been through a lot, we are still recovering, we are still almost entirely focused on ourselves. Go S L O W.

I'm so thankful my employer is allowing me to do that. I'm now working part-time from home and I have that option for several more weeks if I choose.

Good luck to you CL. Take care of yourself!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2007, 05:37 PM

Your body will tell you when you are ready. After my TVH, I found it difficult to sit at home for more than an hour at 3 weeks recovery. Each week after that I improved steadily. I have been back to work now for six weeks, and I still cannot sit for anymore than 2 hours at a time without getting up and moving around... and I have no incision.
Unread 12-02-2007, 05:52 PM

Hi ComfortableLady!

I had a textbook TAH/BSO and also work at a desk job. My gyn told me "six weeks off" from work. As it turned out, I was able to slowly ease back into it sooner because I was able to work out of my home office.

There are circumstances I can think of, even with a complication-free recovery, that might have required a longer leave of absence for me: extra-long work hours, or a long commute to and from work, to name just a couple.

If you feel that you need more time off, for any reason, I hope you are able to work out a reasonable compromise with your employer to accommodate you and your recovery.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 12-02-2007, 07:26 PM

Tomorrow is the three-week mark for me. My boss called me Friday and told me, "I fully expect you to be at work on Wednesday to coordinate training even if you have to sneak and go against your doctor's instructions. You should be able to do that, especially since you can carpool." He then told me that since I'm feeling better, he could see no reason why I should be out of work for 6 weeks. My co-workers started calling me at home Friday sayig that they were glad I'd be back at work on Wednesday full time.

My post-op appointment is Tuesday. I have been doing very well (only complaint is some recent pain behind my incision). I wonder if my doctor will release me to part-time or full-time work after 3 weeks. My commute is over an hour each way. Yes, I do carpool with my husband, but in order to do so, I'd have to work 10-hour days, and I know I'm just not up to that yet. I work for a workers' compensation insurance carrier in claims. It's a 50+ hours per week job and is quite stressful. I don't want to be released to go back to work yet. My boss has done a pretty good job of communicating the idea that I'd better come back Wednesday 'or else'.

Has anyone that you know of been released to return to work at 3 weeks?
Unread 12-02-2007, 08:36 PM

Hello Happyduck...

Are you off work on FMLA? Because by law your boss can't do anything to you if your on FMLA... "A federal law that requires employers to provide an employee with 12 weeks of unpaid leave during a year's time for the birth or adoption of a child, family health needs or personal illness. The employer must allow the employee to return to the same position or a position similar to that held before taking the leave."
Unread 12-02-2007, 10:23 PM

The Family Medical Leave Act applies to employers that have 50 or more employees. The employee must have worked for at least a year prior to the FMLA covered condition and worked at least 1250 hours in that year. You are not automatically protected by the FMLA.

Carol
Unread 12-03-2007, 02:49 AM

My dr said I would be off for 4 weeks for my TAH. My surgery was 4 weeks ago today. I see the dr this afternoon.

He called two weeks ago and gave me an unexpected cancer diagnosis. Physically I think I could go back to work but I have had so much anxiety the past couple of weeks. That has contributed to my migraines. I'm just exhausted. I'm going to ask him to let me stay off until at least this Thursday.

I think it depends on the job, the doctor and the individual. I am fortunate that my male boss is pretty sure I will NOT be able to get right back to everything at 4 weeks. At times my job is pretty physical but he and I tried to save things for me to do the first couple weeks back that aren't so physical.

Talk to your dr and be prepared to stand strong w/ your boss. I think a 50 hour week is too long to start out w/.

CS
Unread 12-03-2007, 05:13 AM

I had a SAH with really no complications once they got me sewed up (the issues were during the surgery).

I am a AP Manager for a large University. Before my surgery, I was saying '4 to 6 weeks' and thinking 4 weeks. At 4 weeks I was still having huge issues with fatigue and couldn't imagine how I was going to return full time at 6 weeks. O and I was returning on the last day before we rolled the encumbrances so high pressure day.

I talked to my Dr before returning and requested I be allowed another week at 6 hour days (usually I work 10 hour days). She agreed and I am so glad I did that. The first 2 days I was beat when I left but it got easier. And I think it kind of reminded everyone that back to work didn't mean back at 100%. I also avoided OT for the rest of the year.

Selfish? Maybe but I have to put me first is the way I see it. Employers talk about loyalty, team work, commitment, etc and thats all fine and good but I will not do myself harm so that my boss looks good. And I don't expect it of my employees.

I wish you well.

Julie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register