What worked for you once pain meds were gone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What worked for you once pain meds were gone? What worked for you once pain meds were gone?

Unread 12-02-2007, 06:35 PM
What worked for you once pain meds were gone?

I think I have 5 percosets left so I'm using them sparingly. They certainly help me to sleep at night. I still have some pain, but nothing I probably can't live with. So what is working for you after the pain meds are gone? Or should I ask dr. for more pain meds? She gave me 36, is that the normal allowance here and after that you're on your own? I don't want to sound like some druggie here because I know they really regulate this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2007, 07:05 PM

My doc gave me 30. I used full tablets for a couple of days, then started cutting them in half. Motrin worked well for me also. At a few days, I took the Motrin first, and took 1/2 a Percoset a bit later if I still had pain. Some sisters said Tylenol worked well for them also. If that isn't strong enough, you may want to call your doc to see what she recommends.
Unread 12-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Check with your Surgeon/Hospital

Hello MsDee2

my hospital gave me a truckload of medicine on discharge - but when I ran out, they said to only use paracetamol as needed. That's because the other medicines can cause constipation and other nasty side-effects.

I also used a warm hot water bottle on my tummy - that felt great.

If you are in real pain, please consult with your doctor as everyone is different.

All the best to you.

Pauline 41
TAH 12 November 2007

Farewell Fibroid Farm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2007, 07:15 PM

800 mg motrin work wonderful...try to alternate. you'd be surprised how much they help with the pain.
Unread 12-02-2007, 07:30 PM

I only used 6 percocet, still have 24 . Some days I took nothing other days I took 600 mgs advil. I am not very good patient taking pain meds makes me feel wrong. I probably wood have done better if I hadn't tried to tough it out.
Unread 12-02-2007, 08:00 PM

I only got 20, which I thought wouldn't be enough, and I ended up using very few. I think I've still got nearly 10 left! Hated the side effects of weird dreams and constipation and they didn't even work all that well for the pain. My doctor said ibuprofen was fine to take and I found that 2 or 3 really helped much more than the percocets did. A lot of my pain was from swelling and muscle tissue so the ibuprofen is great for that.
Unread 12-02-2007, 08:49 PM

Yeah, they only gave me like 20 as well and I needed them for quite some time. They made it clear they would not refill them so I got my regular doctor to write me out a script...happened that the ones he gave me were a stronger dosage...but I just ended up cutting them in half and thirds as well.

Please keep in mind that Percocet already has X mg of acetaminophen (Tylenol) in them (that second number on the vial is the mg of acetaminophen in them in case anyone didn't know - i.e., 7.5/500 would be 7.5 mg of oxycodone and 500 mg of acetaminophen)...and taking too much acetaminophen is not good for the liver at all. So please be careful about taking a Tylenol with it or right after...you don't want to hurt your innards. Our poor innards have already been hurt enough lately.

Here is a little thingy that discusses how much acetaminophen a person should consume in one day in case anyone was interested... Tylenol and Liver Damage
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:08 AM

The Dr. will probably give you more. If you're in pain, you should take them, so your body isn't using all it's energy dealing with the pain.
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:28 AM

I alternated my percocet with 800 mg of Ibuprofen (aka Motrin). For example.. took Percocet at 8... Motrin at Noon.. Percocet at 4.. Motrin at 8, etc. etc.

NP Writer is correct about being careful of overdoing the Tylenol. Not that you shouldn't use Tylenol (Acetaminophen) at all.. just be aware of the amount you are using.

I also started weaning myself off the percocet after the first week by cutting them in half or stretching the time out between doses. If your pain level is still at the point where you can't comfortably do that.. Please do ask your surgeon or gp for assistance.
Unread 12-03-2007, 10:15 AM

I also used Advil instead of the percocet. Had 20 from rx...still have some left. Also I kept taking gas pills for a couple of days because although I was passing, a lot of the pain and discomfort was from gas.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register