Regarding Having Hysterectomy As Well As Bladder And Rectal Repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Regarding Having Hysterectomy As Well As Bladder And Rectal Repair Regarding Having Hysterectomy As Well As Bladder And Rectal Repair

Unread 12-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Regarding Having Hysterectomy As Well As Bladder And Rectal Repair

i was just wondering if there is anyone on the board who has had a hysterectomy as well as bladder and rectal repair at the same time...i was just wondering what i can expect as far as the recovery period...in that i am having two other procedures done can i expect to have alot more pain than with only a hysterectomy....i am so scared about possibly being in a lot of pain as i do not have a high pain tolerance..how long did it take to get over the pain>> for those who just had a vaginal hysterectomy how long did it take to be out of pain in the healing process....what does the pain feel like, etc....any info you could give would be greatly appreciated...i go in on the 5th and am extremely nervous!! please any advice from anyone and lots of it would be greatly appreciated...i am having a vaginal hysterectomy and leaving the ovaries...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 01:41 AM

Hi Bahama I had a TVH with BSO (both ovaries and tubes removed) and A&P repairs (anterior = bladder; posterior = rectum) almost six years ago. My recovery period was the "usual" six weeks. My early recovery was complicated by the fact that when they removed the catheter the day after surgery, I could not urinate on my own. The pain when my bladder filled up with 1500 ml of urine, before they put the catheter back in, was the worst. Other than that, I had pain while in the hospital that felt like pretty bad menstrual cramps as well as pain at the incision site that was helped by laying ice packs against it. The nurses kept me supplied with those. I did not use the PCA pump with morphine because it didn't do anything for the pain and just made me tired. I took 800mg ibuprofens and vicodin alternately.

Once I was home, most of my discomfort was due to the posterior repair; sitting on a donut pillow helped a lot with that. So did using a peri bottle (plastic squeeze bottle filled with warm water that you can squirt over your incision after you use the bathroom) and using Dermoplast spray, which they gave me at the hospital (you can also find it at most drugstores). I think if I had not had the repairs, the pain from the hysterectomy itself wouldn't have been that bad after the first couple of days. I took the vicodin off and on for about ten days, trying to take it only at night because it does cause constipation, which is not your friend after A&P repairs.

By the six week mark, the only discomfort I felt was if I had to sit on a hard surface; so, if I was going somewhere that I knew that would happen, I took a donut pillow with me. Looking back on it now, the pain was not really that bad at any point after the surgery, but that's because my frame of reference has changed (had a much more serious, much more painful surgery a year later).

I hope this helps... good luck with your surgery

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Not that bad

Hi

I had everything you are having . I did have the hysterectomy robotically and left my ovaries and tubes. Doctor said the rectocele repair was pretty extensive and they used a graft. I think I have taken one percoset since I have been home. I can't say any of the pain has been very bad, not even after the surgery.

However, it all just takes a while to recover from. I too was on a catheter for a full week. Before my surgery this seemed like a big deal and I was supposed to have the bladder sling surgery too, but rather than have the possibility of a catheter I opted out of this surgery! All in all the catheter wasn't that bad. At the time I was really anxious to get up and around and felt the catheter inhibited that.

Now, at almost three weeks post op I am still bleeding since some stitches tore out in vagina -- I guess from overdoing it. So I am really trying to take it easy. I wish I would have done less right after surgery but I really felt pretty good. I did use the donut pillow, from about 1 week post op to about 2 weeks. Today, at 2-1/2 weeks post op I can sit at my computer comfortably without the donut pillow, I will probably get a work for a few hours from home today. I don't fit into regular clothes. I am trying to be very careful about bending and due to the bleeding, my doctor said no unnecessary walking.

I think, other than the bleeding, my recovery has been good and it seems like everyone has some little glitch. However, I would guess that where I am is where you would be at Christmas, since that is 3 weeks post op for you. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 12:19 PM

Well okay I have a werid question and it may have already been answered somewhere here, but anyway, I to have to have all of this done myself, I am having a TVH, A& P repair and bladder sling, so when they do the rectal part do they cut your bum hole? Sorry , I know that is so gross, but I don't know of any other way to ask this, and with the vaginal hyst do they cut you on the out side like they do when you have a epsiotomy (SP?) I am having my surgery Dec. 17th. Thanks in advance for the help!
Unread 12-03-2007, 12:26 PM

It varies with the patient, but here's how my DR explained it to me: picture the vagina as a tube. The DR makes a slit all the way up the side facing the bladder (front, or anterior) and another slit all the way up the side facing the rectum (rear, or posterior). Then he/she overlaps the edges so there's now a double thickness of tissue at each incision, and stitches it back together. This makes for reinforced walls at the spots where prolapse of organs into the vagina is most likely to try to happen.

I did have an incision much like an episiotomy at the outside, and it is what gave me the most discomfort. It tended to either be a little sore or itch, and of course you can't scratch such a thing so spraying it with warm water or using Dermoplast spray were my two allowed options. You might ask your DR how you may handle any itching or pain if it happens to you.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-03-2007, 12:29 PM

Thanks so much for the info, that helps a lot!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register