Hysterectomy dates Dec 03-Dec 10,2007 - Page 17 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 03-Dec 10,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 03-Dec 10,2007

Unread 12-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Recovering with questions

I had my TAH & BSO on Dec 4th as result of my uterine cancer diagnosis. The cancer was stage 1 and the dr was able to remove all of the cancer during the surgery. I do not need to have further chemo or radiation treatments.

The first week after I left the hospital was pretty rough with pain, finding a comfortable position to lay, sit, stand, etc. I saw the dr 1 week after the surgery, and she said everything looked good, including the incision. I told her that I had one night with a fever, one night with dizziness, and 2 nights of night sweats, where everything around me and on me was soaked with sweat. She said all was normal, but I should have called her when the fever got to high.

I have not had any of those problems the 2nd week, but I find myself tired after taking a shower. I am also very tender to the touch, not at the incision but around it. Is this normal? I am not sure what is too much as far as starting to walk around. I live in a small apartment on the 2nd floor. I read on this website that some gradual and frequent walking is good, but what about the days where I feel like doing nothing, but laying in bed. I do find myself getting very tired, very easily.

Are these issues normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Recovery

Hi Katnip Krazy,

I didn't have a fever or night sweats but I am post menopausal it could be your hormones. I have tenderness on both my sides, more on the left and with each day it gets a little less. I have to lay on my back when sleeping which is hard for me because I'm a side sleeper but if I turn on my side the gravity causes too much pain. I walked from the BR to the bath and the BR to the kitchen several times per day but that was it for the first 2 weeks. The nurses told me a shower usually wears you out. Everyone is different. I'm so glad you don't have to do chemo or radiation I'm not so fortunate. My doctor wants me to do about 6 weeks because I had some blood vessel involvment. Hope your recovery continues and each day is better than the last.

Gizelle
TAH/BSO Cervical Cancer 1B1
Unread 12-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 03-Dec 10,2007

Hi girls....just wanted to say hi and wish you all a healthy recovery.....it's a rough time of year to take it easy, but please pay attention to your body and limits and try not to overdue it...easier said than done, I'm sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2007, 04:18 AM

Hello Everyone!! I hope you are finding yourselves stronger every day!!.. I had my LSH on the 6th. My doctor left the ovaries, tubes and cervix. Since I had my period when I was 12 I bleed a lot, and now 39, started to have 20 day periods. Back in Feb. I had a D & C to remove polyps and cysts from my ovaries. Today it has been 2 weeks and although my surgery was laparoscopic I still bleed from time to time and I find myself very tired all the time. I can't sleep ( I always had insomnia so you just can imagine .) I only sleep 3-4 hrs. Darvocet for pain makes me break out in hives ( I had gallbladder removal 14 years ago) . Actually my boss had the same procedure in Aug. ( same doc/hospital) and she was perfect after 2 weeks!!!.. I feel super bad because this is the busiest time in retail ) and It seems to be my body doesn't want to heal as quick. Every time I read about laparoscopic hysterect. the info says that you should be back to normal in 2 weeks... well it's been 2 weeks for me and there are days I feel worse than the day after I came back from surgery. Today is my checkup.. my body is telling me to rest..(the doctor pre filled my short term disability papers to go back to work on 12/24).. Let's see what happens... I just want to know that after 2 weeks what I feel is normal... xoxo
Unread 12-21-2007, 04:19 AM

P.S.... I forgot to mention.. I work in retail!!! Lol
Unread 12-21-2007, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumigal
Hello Everyone!! I hope you are finding yourselves stronger every day!!.. I had my LSH on the 6th. My doctor left the ovaries, tubes and cervix. Since I had my period when I was 12 I bleed a lot, and now 39, started to have 20 day periods. Back in Feb. I had a D & C to remove polyps and cysts from my ovaries. Today it has been 2 weeks and although my surgery was laparoscopic I still bleed from time to time and I find myself very tired all the time. I can't sleep ( I always had insomnia so you just can imagine .) I only sleep 3-4 hrs. Darvocet for pain makes me break out in hives ( I had gallbladder removal 14 years ago) . Actually my boss had the same procedure in Aug. ( same doc/hospital) and she was perfect after 2 weeks!!!.. I feel super bad because this is the busiest time in retail ) and It seems to be my body doesn't want to heal as quick. Every time I read about laparoscopic hysterect. the info says that you should be back to normal in 2 weeks... well it's been 2 weeks for me and there are days I feel worse than the day after I came back from surgery. Today is my checkup.. my body is telling me to rest..(the doctor pre filled my short term disability papers to go back to work on 12/24).. Let's see what happens... I just want to know that after 2 weeks what I feel is normal... xoxo

Hi Tumigirl....not only is what you feel normal, it is necessary to take the extra time to heal and regain strength.....although there may be a lot of women that appear to be back to normal after 2 weeks...alot of docs will tell you more like 6-8 even with lap.....there is so much internal trauma and healing...scar tissue and nerve endings don't even start to form and heal until after 2 weeks....internally you may still be swollen, I am sure...I had DaVinci lap surgery and 6/8 wks later was still swollen and taking it slow....don't push it and let go of the guilt for not being at work...this is YOUR time to heal, no matter how anyone else has healed..we are all different...listen to your body....drink fluids, rest and things will fall into place soon enough.....good luck
Unread 12-21-2007, 10:59 AM

Hello everyone

I just want to say that I feel wonderful today. My 2 wk appt with dr was on the 13th and he said I could slowly start doing a few things. But I still just took it easy. This week has been better. I still had that pain in my side when I was on my feet a little bit.

Then on Tuesday my jaw started to hurt, my face was swollen from my nose to my neck. I thought I had maybe an infected tooth. So I was able to get to to my dentist. He could not find anything. Except that stupid TMJ. This spring I had a problem with it. He just said with the stress of the surgery and the holidays. And with laying on my side in Bed (because of that nagging pain) could have caused it to come back. He thinks I maybe grinding my teeth in my sleep also. He gave me a mild muscle relaxer. And today I feel wonderful.....Could be the meds-

I was quite proud of myself had not taken any pain meds in over a week and half.

I did ask about the pain in my side and he just normal. He also told me that I was lucky that had he cut my belly I would be holding that, and to just remember that he still did everything else inside of me.

I forgot to ask my doctor about sex. Everyone had said 6 weeks before. But I was also wondering when was safe. Doc removed all but my ovaries, completely vaginally. How do you know if you have that vaginal cuff?

I think we will wait also- I don't think I want my instines to come out, that would not be pretty.

I want everyone to have a Merry Christmas. Thanks Teri
Unread 12-21-2007, 11:48 AM

hello everyone! Yesterday I spent the day in the house and did a few chores between resting, (nothing heavy though). I enjoyed the peace and quite with my kids at school and my husband outside in the shop for the most part of the day. In the evening I decided to venture out to the shop and I grab a wash cloth and helped him wipe down a table and then I sat by the heater for awhile. about a half hour later the tiredness and achey feeling hit me like a rock. The short walk back to the house with the dog was tiring. It's strange how much animals can sense things. Tosha (the blue healer) seemed to know and kept stopping to turn and look at me and bark; as if to say "hurry up!" "she kept at me until I made it to the house. this morning I am resting again and I plan to drive the 3 miles to the school to pickup my teens (early release) My one daughter has a dr. appointment so I'm going to let her drive when I get to the school, lay the reclining seat down and relax until we reach our destination. I home I can with stand the trip out today better than yesterday. Here's wishing you a MERRY CHRISTMAS! I added a poem I got in the mail which I thought was kind of cute. Hope you enjoy it! We deck our halls, but we'd like to mention there's another sort of place that deserves attention-- We're speakin', of course, of that outlyin' stall where cowpokes retreat when they hear nature's call. A red ribbon bow makes it look like a present, boughs of fresh pine keep the odor more pleasant, and who won't be thankful for bright blinking lights when they have to go find it on a cold winter nights? With Christmas a-comin', we're all on the go, but it's sure nice to spare just a minute and show there's nothin' so humble we shouldn't go near it and try to impart a little holiday spirit! Here's hopin' you're privy to the best Christmas ever!
Unread 12-21-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumigal
I had LSH on 12/7 and I can't imagine going back to work. My doctor told me 6 weeks. Today I did some shopping for about 40 minutes and by the time we were ready to go I was slightly nauseaus and I had to come home and take a nap. I figure if I'm still on narcotics for pain, I'm nowhere near ready to go back to work.
Unread 12-21-2007, 09:00 PM

I am happy to report that after the first 2 weeks, things are going well. I did have a set back - I chose not to take the ovaries but my reports after the surgery showed that there was a small amount of cancer in the uterus. So, they are recommending that I remove the ovaries since I am past child bearing age - and without the uterus, I can't have children anyway.

Physically, the information on this site was a tremendous help. I drank lots of water and I have been keeping myself moving - even when it hurt. I have been blessed not to have any majoy pain. There is a sharp pain I get every once in a while when I move a certain way. The doc says it is the ovaries moving. However, I guess that will not be a problem after they take them in a few weeks.

So overall, I must say that I am blessed. The pain was most bearable, the progress is livable. I feel like I can actually enjoy myself again. I must also note that I have a wonderful husband and family next door who are my awesome support systems!

I pray that your progress is as smooth as mine has been and that you will be blessed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register