Hysterectomy dates Dec 03-Dec 10,2007 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 03-Dec 10,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 03-Dec 10,2007

Unread 12-07-2007, 07:24 AM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 03-Dec 10,2007

Good morning! I am so glad to be on the other side. I had LSH Dec 6, at about 9:00am. I got to the hospital at 7:45, they took me back and did my pre-op that morning because I live about an hour and a half away. The nurse tried three times to get my IV started and ended up leaving it to the anesthesiologist in the operating room to do. It was kind of funny because I was stretched out on a table getting an arm and hand massage on both sides. They finally found a vein on the 5th overall try. After that I went to sleep. I woke up in a lot of pain. The recovery nurse was standing over me telling me to remember to breath. Later I thought I know I was breathing because I was groaning and that takes air! Anyway they gave me something in my IV and then I woke up in my room. It hurt some at first but got continually better very quickly. My doctor told me everything went great with no surprises which to my great relief meant I got to keep my ovaries and cervix. I feel so lucky. I got to go home about 7:00 that night. I was the first patient that my doctor had ever let go the same day, so I am his guinea pig. I will try to do what I am told so that he will feel comfortable extending the same privilege to some of his other princesses. It was wonderful to sleep in my own bed, and I feel really good this morning. My back and shoulders hurt more than anything for being in bed so long, but I guess I’ll have to get used to that. I haven’t taken any pain med since 12:00 yesterday, except two ibuprofen last night before bed and two more during the night.

Limestone-I had ablation surgery about 8 weeks ago and everything tasted funny for weeks. Great way to cut back on your eating when nothing tastes very appealing. It lasted about 3 weeks.

I had a terrible recovery from the ablation, but having a great start to a great LSH recovery. Goes to show there is no one size fits all recovery. Be true to your needs princesses. Take it easy. And get pampered, you deserve it.

Chris
Endometrial Ablation 9/07
LSH 12/07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2007, 04:16 AM
My 12/4 TAH/BSO

Hi all, it seemed like a long road getting here but here I am, on the other side. I had the bad reaction to the morphine also; when I woke up in recovery I was sick. But once they removed the morphine & got my stomach settled down, by the end of day 2, I was starting to feel better. I know that vomiting is not a good thing when you are in this condition. But it's good to be home, my pets all missed me & they aren't letting me out of their sight. My first BM was an experience in pain, but that too has passed. So for any of you Pre-bies with 2nd thoughts; nobody ever said this was a piece of cake, the pain that you will have is completely controllable(just be sure to ask for your meds before the pain gets out of hand). Best wishes to all.
Unread 12-08-2007, 08:38 AM

Good Morning Sisters,

My hyster was done on Dec 6. I arrived at the hospital at 10:00 and was taken down for surgery around 12:45. My surgey took just at 2 hours. I ended up having a LAVH. The Doctor said he found lots of endometriosis and fibroids. The endometriosis had attached the uterus to the bladder.

I came home from the castle yesterday afternoon. Glad to be home. I am in pain, (moderate) and get tired so easy.

I will post more later when I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2007, 11:06 AM

I feel so lucky to be feeling really good. I find myself wondering around the house with nothing to do because every time I start to do anything my family reminds me I’m not supposed to be doing that. I’ve had a little gas, a BM, eating and drinking good, I’m off the pain meds completely, my neck and shoulders are stiff and sore, my incisions are a bit sore, but overall, I feel really good. I feel better than I did the morning I went in.

I feel a little guilty. I know it is a much rougher road for most.
Good luck to everyone and take it easy.

Chris,
LSH 12-06-07
Unread 12-08-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm out!!!

Had TAH/BSO on Dec 6th. Surgery went well everything was pretty much glued together with adheasions. I feel great. I kinda wish I had done this sooner. Recovery is going really well and they let me out of the Castle this morning. I am really grateful for all the info on this websit I was much better prepared than I would have been otherwise. I did have my DR give me ditrol to control bladder spasms since I also have IC and so far its working great with little bladder irritation. The other thing she did was prescribe antibiotics to avoid UTI's since I get them so easily. The morfine pump started making me itch so I quit using it and switched to motrin and Darvacet So far that's working great. Looking forward to no more pain or periods.
The nursed were good but I felt because I was better informed I was more comfortable questioning them or just asking for something diffrent. Thanks ladies for being there and answering questions I didn't even know to ask.
Unread 12-08-2007, 12:50 PM

My surgery was on 12/4. It was supposed to be a TVH with bladder sling. Unfortunately, the doc that was assisting with the bladder sling nicked my bladder, which resulted in me having to be opened up abdominally so they could repair the bladder properly. So, I ended up with a TAH. However, that's not even the worst part. Due to the bladder injury & repair, not only did I not get a bladder sling, but I have to leave my catheter in for 2 weeks! UGH. Honestly, dealing with consitpation in the hospital & the catheter is the worst part. The pain is manageable as long as you take your meds every 4 hours. My nurses were fabulous & stayed on top of my pain med schedule so that my pain didn't get out of control. For all of you waiting, I think the waiting is the worst part. If not for my bladder issue, I think I'd be doing great. I just got to come home today and am so glad to be home.
Unread 12-08-2007, 01:04 PM

Went on to the operating room on Monday at 8h15... was so scared by the anesthesia. All is perfectly fine now. Walking and relaxing all day. Not even in need of pain meds anymore. I feel so relieved.
Unread 12-08-2007, 03:23 PM

Hi

Had SAH on 12/3 - things went along easily with admission, going into the pre-op thing, visit with my dr beforehand and then into surgery.

Next thing I remember was waking up in my room. Was really hungry and the nurse let me have jello which i proceeded to throw up all over everyone and everything (that's me!). So after that it was ice chips and water and I continued to hurl. But the morphine worked well for the pain. Was suppose to go home next day but dr suggested that i stay another night. I was fine with that as I wanted to make sure that when i went home I felt strong enough. The 2nd night in the hospital wasn't very good. I don't think the nurse was giving me enough pain killer (and she was kind of mean, anyway - all the other nurses were sooo nice); in the morning I woke up in a lot of pain. Dr came in and I told her that I wished I hadn't done this. She told me it was the right decision as the fibroid was like 15cm and would not have gone away with menopause. She also told me that the way I feel is why she only suggests hysterectomy as a last resort.

Also had a fever, so they wouldn't let me leave. ended up staying another night. Have been home since thursday - the pain is manageable, am doing much more than I should be doing (altho am spending at least 12 hours a day in bed) - the thing that bothers me most is the abdominal swelling. I feel very bloated and extended, the scar is yucky looking and it just feels like it will never be better. My dr told me it takes a couple weeks for the swelling to go down. Every morning I wake up feeling like I'll never be myself again and every afternoon i feel so much better than the day before.

I really can't wait for the day when I feel like I did the right thing with the surgery. I know I should be grateful, only the uterus was removed and it the fibroid was benign. I wish I had tried UFE first (even tho it wouldn't have worked, I'm sure). But, am very glad that today is today and not a week ago because the waiting IS the worst part. The great part is that I've learned I have a lot of wonderful, loving friends who are really there for me.
Unread 12-08-2007, 03:25 PM

today is saturday, had my LSH Monday and I am still somewhat sore, but my arm looks the worst because it took them 3 times to find a vein. I go back to the doctor Jan. 3rd.
Unread 12-08-2007, 05:23 PM

Hello, ladies:

My surgery was Monday, 12/3. No bowel prep the night before, just nothing to eat after midnight. I was given the IV in the prep or staging room, talked with both the Dr. and the anesthesiologist, and then rolled into the OR and chatted with the team who were strapping me to the table, putting on the compression leg wraps, connecting tubes, and things, and then they said, "OK we are going to give you a little oxygen." That was it - lights out.

I woke up in recovery and in some pain. They switched the medication, and soon I was ok. They brought me up to the room. The nurses gently rolled me onto my side, washed my back, rubbed it with lotion, and tucked me in. They checked in on me a lot that first night, and I had a little nausea. I watched a little TV between naps.

Tuesday morning, the catheter was removed and I peed within three hours on my own. A wonderful student nurse gave me a bath, changed my bed, and just kept me company while she was on duty. This is a teaching hospital and the students assist the RN's and the students were great. The afternoon nurse took me for a little walk, with my IV pole, and I had light meals of toast, jello and broth (that tasted heavenly) for B, L and D on Tuesday.

Wednesday late am the IV was removed, and I walked a bit, and then took a shower by myself and blow dried my hair. I felt much better after that.

I did a lot of walking Wednesday evening, and Thursday very early morning, as I could not sleep, and was discharged at noon.

My pain is managed nicely with the Percoset and Motrin. I have been taking the Colace faithfully and it finally produced results this afternoon. Now I feel much, much better.

Tomorrow I want to get out to the mall (someone will have to drive me) for a good walk.

All in all, not too bad, a little sore, but that is to be expected.

Hope everyone else has an easy time as I did: not much gas, not much nausea, not much pain.

Tickled Pink

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register