Hysterectomy dates Dec 03-Dec 10,2007 - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 03-Dec 10,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 03-Dec 10,2007

Unread 12-10-2007, 07:01 AM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 03-Dec 10,2007

Hello everyone,
Today is my 4th day post-op. What a roller coaster adventure this has been. I went to the castle on Thursday Dec 6. After I was given Adivan, I do not remember much about this day. My DH stayed with me and took good care of me. The nursing staff was also sent from heaven! I was not in too much pain. On Friday, I was doing so well, I got the OK to come home. Still not much pain. Saturday, was thrilled to get to see my DD. She has been staying with my parents. My DS came in to help. Thank God for her!!! Now we are up to Sunday. Oh My Gosh! What Pain!! I don't think anything is wrong, I just think I have been feeling too well and probably have overdone. I have started pain meds. I was hoping to be off them by now. I can't sit up too long and am extremely tired. Not hungry. I have insomnia. I am going to chalk Sunday up to having a bad day.
Today is Monday and I plan to "be still" all day. Hopefully I will sleep some. This insomnia is getting to me. Any and all helpful tips are welcome.......

Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2007, 07:06 AM

Jamie- What you discrbe sounds normal. I find that I have a good day, usually over do it and then the next day is a bad day. I am quickly learning that although it doesn't bother me while doing it bending is my worse enemy! Even when feeling good be sure to walk slowly, don't bend, don't lift, and don't pull. I hope that your recovery continues to progess successfully.
Unread 12-10-2007, 07:41 AM
insomnia

I too had this the first night home but then I found if I took this really soft and cubbly blanket I have for air travel, ball it up and tuck it up against my tummy then gently roll to one side, not completely but close enought, that I can sleep so much better....

I'm not a back sleeper and don't often sleep on my tummy because of 3 damaged disc in my lower back, so getting on my side asap was a priority, I slept all last night, midnight to 5:30 with out tossing once, I stayed in the spot. I did wake to either a hot flash or night sweats but I was so comfortable and without pain, I didn't address is and just closed my eyes and fell back asleep.....

It felt good tucking it up like that, I have a little hanging belly to deal with here and when I tuck it all up together like that, it feels so much better.....I will be talking with the doc today and will mention what I'm doing, don't want to cause myself damage but if it feels good and it didn't make me go a day backwards in recover, I'd like to do it again tonight!

Here's wishing you a peace filled sleep soon....I'll repost once I talk to her to see if she has other ideas....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2007, 07:52 AM

Jamie,
I am 6th day post-op from vaginal hysterectomy. I have not really felt really great yet, but am optimistic. I haven't really had an appetite yet, but am eating small amounts. Insomnia hit the past few nights. I took a 1/2 of an Ativan (Lorazapam) last night and it helped, but this is a prescription anti-anxiety med, so you have to contact your doctor. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in what you are experiencing. Each person's body is different and heals at it's own pace, so listen to your body and do what it needs. It will get better.

Mary
Unread 12-10-2007, 01:06 PM

Had my TVH at 1p on Dec. 6th and doing well. It took me over a year to decide if this was the right thing to do. I am hoping for a good outcome.

Surgery went good and I am glad to be home. Went home the night after the surgery and I was so glad to be home. Nurses were great but nothing beats your own bed. So far not feeling too bad. Very little pain, but still taking pain meds at night and once during the day.

I wish I had found this site earlier, it has been very helpful.

Good luck to everyone out there.
Unread 12-10-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiacanuck
Hi DariaToo,

I had the exact same thing happen to me in recovery. I don't recall coming out of the anasthesia, however I remember shaking violently and uncontrollably which seemed to go on forever. I remember the nurses and doctors calling my name but I just couldn't stop. I think I may have actually chipped one of my front teeth from all of the chattering and shaking that I was doing. I ended up staying in the recovery room for well over three hours and my husband was going crazy wondering what was happening.

Thanks for the info that you researched about it, as I had no idea why that happens. I do remember the staff putting an extra blanket on top of me and then I found out that they put this heater next to my bed with a hose that went directly into my blankets to heat them up. Wow!!

As far as the insomnia, I'm sorry but I can't be of much help. I'm sleeping fairly good since the surgery, just wake up every now and then. I'm sure your body will eventually adjust and when you are tired, it'll just give in. Do you sleep lots during the day? I don't sleep much at all...

Best wishes to you in your recovery....
Hi Sharon,
It's so good to learn that you're not the only one, isn't it! And we even had surgery the same day, Dec. 4th. Once you came out of recovery, how did things go for you? Do you think there were any lasting effects? How awful to think you might have actually chipped a tooth -- although I can well understand it, with the kind of shaking involved. I'm so sorry! These days dentists can do wonders with bonding -- and the chip becomes a thing of the past, completely invisible.

How are you doing now? Did you have a long surgery?

Take care,
DariaToo
Unread 12-10-2007, 02:17 PM

Hi DariaToo,

My surgery lasted about three hours and went well, other than the discovery of endometriosis on my appendix, which he didn't remove, but hopefully will disappear.

I'm feeling pretty sore today, but I think I keep over doing things. Not that it takes much to feel the pain. I went off my pain meds about two days ago, and am relying heavily on Advil every four hours to keep the pain tolerable. I just needed to stop the pain meds as I was getting so constipated with them.

Yeah, I know by the end of all of this I will need to make a trip to see the dentist. It's not bad, the chipped tooth that is. It might need a little repair though, just a small chip out of it.

How is your recovery going now? Are you in a lot of pain? What kind of activities do you do during the day? I haven't even mastered my stairs yet, *sigh* Oh well, one day at a time right?

Best wishes....
Unread 12-10-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiacanuck
Hi DariaToo,

My surgery lasted about three hours and went well, other than the discovery of endometriosis on my appendix, which he didn't remove, but hopefully will disappear.

I'm feeling pretty sore today, but I think I keep over doing things. Not that it takes much to feel the pain. I went off my pain meds about two days ago, and am relying heavily on Advil every four hours to keep the pain tolerable. I just needed to stop the pain meds as I was getting so constipated with them.

Yeah, I know by the end of all of this I will need to make a trip to see the dentist. It's not bad, the chipped tooth that is. It might need a little repair though, just a small chip out of it.

How is your recovery going now? Are you in a lot of pain? What kind of activities do you do during the day? I haven't even mastered my stairs yet, *sigh* Oh well, one day at a time right?

Best wishes....
Hi Sharon,

I think I'm doing pretty well, haven't even taken any Advil today. Today for the first time since I got home I got dressed in real clothes and ventured outside -- actually took a walk (with husband, just in case) down the street and back. At one point felt light-headed and realized I needed to go slower. Anyway, walked for about 25 minutes total. I was tempted to go further, as far as the nearest cafe, just to feel part of the civilized world again -- but decided better not to overdo it the first time out.

But I look kind of awful to myself in the mirror today. Washed out, pale and sick. That took me by surprise, because I thought I looked pretty normal until now. So I don't know what's going on. I think it's probably lack of sleep, and tonight I may take something, probably an Ambien to ensure a real night's rest.

I was inspired to walk by reading someone else's post who's 10 days out and walking a mile a day. Up until surgery I was walking a regular fast 5-mile route, so I look forward to that again.

Obviously this is all very individual, a little at a time and only what feels ok. I know what you mean about over-doing. It happens before you know it. My doctor phoned me at home the other day and cautioned me about that, saying "We have ways of inventing things to do." Too true!

I'm going to try eventually to get my surgical report from the hospital and see what's in it. I'm curious if it includes stuff about vital signs during surgery, such as body temperature? Just wondering about that. Also curious about what surgical notes include. My surgery was 4 1/2 hours.

What advice did you get about your incisions/sutures? I still have bandaids covering them, so I haven't actually seen them yet. I don't remember what I was told to do, except dry them with a hair dryer after a shower. I thought the bandaids were supposed to come off on their own, but they're sticking very tightly. Hmmm.

Take good care,
DariaToo
Unread 12-10-2007, 05:22 PM

My surgery was Friday the 7th, LAVH-BSO. After 10 am, the entire day is a blur. I don't remember much after being introduced to the nurse and "happy meds" guy (can't spell it if I tried). Mysurgery was about 1.5 hours and recovery about the same. I remember them telling me to roll into my bed in my room and me saying how much it hurt and how nauseated I felt. They gave me meds for that and I stayed pretty much out of it for several hours. My poor son (16) was my main support that day and he was really freaking out on how out of it I was. I finally 'came around' by about 7 pm. Slept off and on thru the night. Was so glad when they removed the catheter at 5:30 the next morning. I ate breakfast, urinated on my own and was dressed and ready to go by 8. They were surprised!

I rested most of Saturday and Sunday while being pampered by my son. He really rose to the occasion although he admits now he was a bit freaked out. Bless his heart.
The worst part so far is the gas pain. I walk as much as possible but not getting a lot of relief from that. It puts pressure down there. Not a lot of pain to speak of.

I feel really blessed to be feeling so well. I am planning a short outing tomorrow afternoon. I tend to get stir-crazy quickly and want to keep the anxiety to a minimum by scheduling short outings. I walked to the mailbox this afternoon and was wringing wet by my return inside. Not sure it was from over-exertion...we are setting record highs in S. Louisiana for this time of year. Today was 80*+. Ugh! No cold weather insight until later in the week.

THis site was a Godsend to me. I was sooooo much more prepared by coming here first. The constant pain in my left side is gone! That alone makes all of this worthwhile so far! My doctor and I discussed going the NON-HRT route in the beginning. For some reason, I had a script for it when leaving the hospital. Haven't filled it. I go for a post-op check up a week from today. I will discuss with him again then.

Good luck to all in waiting. I read that was the worst part, and it has proved true for me. I hope all of you are doing well! God Bless.
Unread 12-10-2007, 05:26 PM
post op

Hi,
Hope I am doing this right!
Had my LAVH on Dec 5. They removed everything because of many many cysts over the years on my ovaries. I also had a few fibroids and have had a D&C, and ablation in the past for ongoing pelvic pain.

8 am: They had trouble finding a vein for the 18 gauge IV needle. Blew the first one and it burned like fire. I then asked for them to use lidocane before the 3rd try and it was MUCH better. Surgery took 1 hour 5 minutes. Post op I woke up in GREAT pain and the morphine was not cutting it so they gave me demoral on top of that and then I was able to sleep. My husband stayed the whole day and kept pushing the pain button every 8 min or so , so I could sleep.

Hard to sleep during the night, very uncomfortable with all the IV's, stocking and inflatable leg things, kept tangleing up. I finallly threw half the pillows and blankets on the floor as I was sweating to death.

Next day was better and I could of stayed another day but wanted to be home in my own bed. Switched to pain pills. They also gave me simethicon to prevent gas. I guess it helped some but I am still, at day 5 having pain on left side from gas but I have irritable bowel also and gas really kills me.

Pain meds constipate me terrible even tho I am eating lots of fruit and drinking lots of fluids. Dr. nicked something on the way out with one of the instruments and I had a huge hematoma on the right side that swelled and spread. My whole tummy is purple from hip to hip and belly button to pubic. Really sets off ALL the stretch marks from when I had my tripetts 22 years ago!

Still having pain , not as bad. Feels worse on the left but I think that is decending colon pain?? Feels like everything wants to drop on the floor. Sleeping a lot but getting up to walk around the house several times a day.

I only have 2 weeks off from work is that enough? I go back for a re-check in two days.

Thanks for listening to my story.

Also , I work in xray at the hospital I had my surgery at so I knew all the nurses etc so that was kinda weird!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register