TAH/BSO on 11/12 - Had MAJOR complications | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH/BSO on 11/12 - Had MAJOR complications TAH/BSO on 11/12 - Had MAJOR complications

Unread 12-03-2007, 08:57 AM
TAH/BSO on 11/12 - Had MAJOR complications

I had a TAH/BSO for Fibroids, Endo, Cysts. Apparently, during the surgery, the Doc discovered that due to adhesions, a piece of my intestine had become attached to the wall of my abdomen, so the surgery lasted a bit longer than expected.

The first few days went well. Had surgery on Monday and went home on Wednesday. I was surprised at how well I was getting around. My family almost had to force me to slow down and take it easy.

By Friday evening I was beginning to feel a bit sick. After a light supper of Chicken soup, I started feeling worse. At 2:00 in the morning the vomiting started - but it was the severe pain in my gut that concerned me. It was like clockwork. The stabbing sharp pain would grip me and then the intense vomiting started. Soon it would all subside and I would lay motionless for about 10 minutes no pain, no nausea, just exhausted. Then 10 minutes later it would start again. My husband suggested I go to the ER, but while I was hurting, I didn’t want to be moved, and when then pain would subside, I was afraid to move.

When I started throwing up liver enzymes (what I was told it was later), I got scared and I allowed my husband to take me to the ER. I didn't realize just how serious the situation was until we arrive at the hospital. The staff was wonderful and reassuring, but things happened quickly. NG tube (yuck and painful), drugs, (aaahhh relief), and a Cat-Scan later, it was determined that I had a paralyzed intestine.

I spent 5 more days in the hospital. I had an NG tube inserted to prevent anything from draining into my digestive system - nothing to eat or drink for 4 days! The time gave my intestine a chance to rest and heal. I was miserable.

The fifth day and I was able to make it home in time for Thanksgiving. Although I was unable to eat meat, fats, caffeine, sodas, which was no problem, I was glad to be home. After a thanksgiving dinner of chicken broth and whole wheat toast, I started feeling ill, but soon recovered with rest. I was beginning to think that I was back into my life and things would be getting back to normal. Then came Saturday! The pain returned with a vengeance! A call to the Doctor sent me back to the hospital.

On Sunday I had a bowel resection. They used to same incision as the TAH (OUCH!!!!!). I woke up with another NG tube and yet more pain. The pain of the bowel resection was far worse that the TAH. I spent another 4 days with no food or water. On the fifth day, I was able to come home yet again. This time around is a whole new ballgame. The pain is horrible! I'm held together by staples and I swear I can feel each one of them biting me. I can hardly move.

Now I have two major pains. ONE- the pain in to the left of the incision site. There is a knot and to touch it is unthinkable. TWO - the pain in the incision site feels like I am ripping open. I see the doctors again on Wednesday (two days from now), but I have a gross concern that I don't know if it warrants a call to the doctor. I have a pus-like discharge from the incision site, with a foul odor! I'm not running a fever and there is slight redness around the area where the drainage is. Is this normal?

I really want to get be into my life. I am so frustrated with all these delays and complications. At least I have this site as a comfort.

Thanks for the support and encouragement!

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 09:25 AM

Kelly,

Please call your doctor ASAP. Foul smelling pus from the incision site is not normal and you should have a doctor's opinion about it! Please take care of yourself and let us know what happens.
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:26 AM

I am sorry that you have had such a difficult time! I wish that I could help you. But this is a question to ask your doctor. Please give his/her office a call asap. You may have an infection. It's better to get the proper answer from medical personnel than to wait for an answer here. Good luck, I hope you feel better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 09:31 AM

Kelly,

You should at least call you doctor and let them know what is going on. With the complications you have had I would not wait. I am sorry that you have had so much trouble. I will pray for you that things will improve quickly. Take it easy and take care of yourself. Listen to your body. But please call your doctor!! Keep us updated on what's going on.

Joy in NC
TAH/BSO 9/20/2007 Hematoma at 8 weeks post op
Unread 12-03-2007, 10:34 AM

Dear Sister,

I am so sorry that things are going badly, but I would strongly suggest calling your doctor and going back to the emergency room if necessary. Pus-like discharge means that there is a possible infection going on and needs to be looked at immediately!!! Please don't wait go now!!! You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Bobbie in Idaho
TVH, anterior repairs w/TOT bladder sling and kept the O's!
Unread 12-03-2007, 12:47 PM

Kelly:
I am so sorry to hear about all you complications and set backs. You are in my prayers. I hope you have called the dr.......you can never be too safe.
C
Unread 12-03-2007, 07:21 PM

No one can relate better to your desire to get back to your life more than I at this point. I won't bother going through my complications yet again - you can find several posts with my saga contained in them -- this is about you.

Please know that no matter how much we desperately want to get back to "normal," your body clearly has other intentions, and you need to respond to it immediately. I also went through the pain you're talking of (though from a different origin), and also didn't want to go back to the hospital, but I've been back twice, for quite some time, and am just today (7 weeks post-op) starting to feel like I'm STARTING to recover. I also had two surgeries in three weeks (I'm including the hyster in there), so my heart and soul go out to you, dear.

Please try VERY HARD to not think ahead. I know that sounds like weird advice, but it's something I wish I had been told from the very beginning. Think of only THIS SECOND, a la, "do I have pain at this exact moment" or "I think right now I am tired and need to sleep." I did myself a disservice by trying to think and plan ahead, and was in full denial when things continued to go wrong.

Please stay strong, and come here to cry. It's what I've been doing for seven weeks now, and nothing has come close to the support and fabulous advice and tough love I've gotten here. These women really are the best support network on the planet, and I've learned it's more than okay to need them and to lean on them. I hope you know I'm part of who's here for you.

Warm to you.
Dina
Unread 12-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Update

Well, I called my GYNO, he referred me to the Dr the did the bowel resection. I went in right away. The incision is infected! The surgeon took out 1/3 of the staples and released alot of the infection. There is now a 5" hole under the incision line. The nurse taught my husband how to 'pack' the hole with saline soaked gauze and how to bandage up the entire incision. He is to do it twice a day until the hole heals up. This ordeal really sucks! The drainage is heavy and the smell is horrible. I am stuck at home and moving around is painful. I go back to the Doctors office on Friday to get the rest of the staples removed and to check on the infection. I will update Friday.

Thank you for all the support and encouragement.

Kelly - TAH/BSO November 12th - Bowel Resection November 23rd

Forever Rely On God ~ F.R.O.G
Unread 12-06-2007, 10:37 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with you. What an ordeal!!!
C
Unread 12-06-2007, 12:01 PM

I am so thankful that you went in and they were able to start treating the infection. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. As you stated, please keep us posted. Happy healing thoughts to you~~~~

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register