hospital stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hospital stay hospital stay

Unread 12-03-2007, 06:05 PM
hospital stay

what is the best things to take with you to the hospital the day of the surgery? what not to take?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 06:08 PM
hospital stay

Welcome to the site!

There's a great article about what to take to the hospital here:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_96849.htm

I just added a few things for myself, and took away some others. Packing my bag right now!
Unread 12-03-2007, 07:37 PM
hospital stay

Tam is right. The link she referenced is great. Based on what I've read, be sure to bring something for gas. My favorite are the Gas-X thin strips that melt on your tongue. No water needed. I'm also bringing some light reading material - - - in case I'm actually conscious enough to read I don't recall anyone mentioning moist wipes, but I'm bringing a tub of Cottonelle wipes so I can "freshen up" even if I'm not up to taking a shower. Finally, I'm bringing some Origins pillow spray that contains lavender. It's VERY relaxing and is sure to make me feel better. Best of luck to you tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2007, 06:40 AM
hospital stay

The list is a great way to begin.
I took a lot more than I actually needed or used. What I did use and enjoy having was my chapstick, earplugs ( by a noisy exit ), my own bed pillow ( don't like skimpy hospital ones ), tummy pillow, hair & tooth brushes, slippers, and robe. I wore the hospital gowns; 2 at a time so that I was well covered & less laundry to take home.

Just remember to let the hospital staff know of any meds that you take - including over the counter ones like Gasx. You never know what reactions or interactions that you may have - be cautious. My hospital supplied everything that I needed & it went into my chart for reference if needed.

S
Unread 12-04-2007, 07:49 AM
hospital stay

I took my favorite blankie from home freshly washed. I sleep with it every night and although you dont get much sleep at the castle, having something from home helps with relaxing and TRYING to get some sleep. Otherwise, I just took lifesavers , a change of cloths to go home in, and a book that I had no time to read and homestly didnt want to read anyways. Dont bring jeans. You will not be able to wear that home as you WILL be bloated. Oh yeah, I did bring my cell phone and a bottle of gatorade. The gatorade helped alot. I had trouble keeping down the apple juice they give you. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL
Unread 12-04-2007, 09:51 AM
hospital stay

Thank you for the list and suggustions. Some of the things I thought of and some I didn't think of at all. My docture was the one who gave me this site to help me with the questions on what to take to the hospital. Again thank you.
Unread 12-04-2007, 10:17 AM
hospital stay

Hi my future Hyster Sister! I was instructed not to bring anything for gas as they preferred to have me up and walking - check and see if you can or shouldn't bring anything. I found that the walking did the trick. Chapsitck - essential!! Magazines, moisturizer!!, your own jammies, loose fitting pants for going home. Good luck to you - see you on the other side!
Tracy
Unread 12-04-2007, 11:28 AM
hospital stay

I wore the same clothes home I went in with.
I would have to say the most important was the mp3 player my gosh the noice was incredable in that place.
Next would be a bath towel so your not trying to dry with a hand towel they use at hospital.
I read tonnes of magazines but they had boxes full there that people leave and walking to get them was encouraged.
I bought a housecoat and just wore the gown they supplied there as to not have to bend pulling up and down bottoms first couple days.
I wore clogs and just used them when walking around halls and going home again rather then bending to tie running shoes.
My hubby brought me some snacks on 3rd day as the food wasn't that great.
Good luck to you and don't worry you will be fine
Unread 12-04-2007, 11:35 AM
hospital stay

The only things I really used were my robe, and tolietries. I did find myself willing and wanting to do my magazine crossword puzzles and that helped pass the time, along with the loads of tv I watched.

Oh and I brought my teddy bear. Never too old for a teddy bear

Good Luck!
Unread 12-04-2007, 01:26 PM
hospital stay

My hospital staff suggested I come in with the clothes you will be going home. I did bring toothbrush and paste, bodywash, shampoo+cond., my crocs, a robe, chapstick, deod. I also took some gas x but they did not want me taking it they gave me something for the gas pain. I also took some reading material never got to them. Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register