How soon do hot flashes start after TAH/BSO? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How soon do hot flashes start after TAH/BSO? How soon do hot flashes start after TAH/BSO?

Unread 12-03-2007, 07:09 PM
How soon do hot flashes start after TAH/BSO?

I had a TAH BSO on November 7th. I can't take HRT due to breast cancer risk in the family. I haven't had any hot flashes yet (almost 4 weeks). The doctor says if I haven't so far I probably won't at all. But I've also heard that women can have estrogen stored in their fat cells which may delay the onset of symtoms. Can anyone tell me their timing of symptoms without HRT? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 07:14 PM

I'm fluffy so never did go through any menopause symptoms after surgery. My doctor told me the same thing that yours did, but mine also said that if I lose the weight (a significant amount) I probably still won't have any symptoms because the fat cells will shrink so gradually it will be like slowly weaning myself off of the estrogen.
Unread 12-03-2007, 07:42 PM

Well, I am very thin and the hot flashes started up right after I removed that patch - I tried to put up with them but it kept going hot/cold/hot/cold 24/7 - plus my head got extremely fuzzy and I felt as if I was walking around in a Salvadore Dali surreal landscape watching myself walk around in it. So, I did a whole lot of research and decided on the patch - I have a risk of blot clots on my mother's side of the family and didn't want to risk taking estrogen any other way than transdermally.

You have to sit and consider the risks. Are you willing to risk taking medication which you will be constantly worried about taking? You might have minimal discomfort and might not even give it a second thought. I tried to stay off hormones but after about three weeks or so I just couldn't at this time. I am taking the lowest dosage of the patch and so far it seems to work quite well. I still get hot/cold/hot/cold but not every five minutes like without it.

I hope you are one of the very fortunate ones who have very few problems not taking hormones...it does happen, ya know.

Please keep in mind women who are having a very easy hysterectomy probably don't post here, so all you read are pleas for help...there are many women who have an easy go at it. I've spoken to a couple who love having had a hysterectomy, easy recovery, much less pain, etc., and wished they had done it years ago.

Mariann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2007, 09:10 PM

Mariann -

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad you found the right solution for you. You make a good point about women using this site mostly because they've had some problems. My recovery has been about as smooth as possible. I'll be sure to try to encourage some others that that can happen.

Susan
Unread 12-04-2007, 07:51 AM

Hello All, I had a TAH on 6/4/07 and 2 weeks afterward I started on Vivelle dot estrogen patches. I've had minimal hot flashes (much better than prior to the surgery. I tried going off the patches; wacko city; crying, sleeplessness, major hot flashes/flushes. I don't like being on the medication, but for now, it's a necessary evil. Hopefully one of these days I can wean myself off of them. Every woman seems to have such a different experience; but we are not alone!
Unread 12-04-2007, 09:33 AM

I had surgery the middle of Sept and am having a text book recovery. I have not started on any kind of replacement therapy -- no sense in starting something until I knew what symptoms that I was having to treat.

I beleive that your body does store some estrogen -- and guess it confuses me as to why people are taking replacement from the point that they leave the hopital -- what are they treating????

So far I have had a few flushes so to speak -- not really hot flashes -- and at night -- i wake up and am warm -- so I kick off the covers.
but nothing worth running to the doctor for

My doctor and I agreed to see what was going to happen before treating something.

maybe being a little fluffy helps with that i do not know --
But I know for me --

I am doing fine without any thing at this point.
Unread 12-04-2007, 12:26 PM

Mine started at 5 weeks. I don't actually have flashes during the day, but mine start at around 10 p.m. and "burn" intensely all night long. I awaken 3-4 times drenched in sweat and strip down...then freeze and it all starts over again. Ends each day around 8 a.m. only to repeat the whole darned cycle again the next day.

No possibility here either for hormones - B/C and also blood clotting disorder in the family, so I just have to deal with it.
Unread 12-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Glad to know i'm not alone!!

I was going to post this SAME question today. I had my TAH/one ovary and cervix out (so I guess that one would LSO?) on 11/7/07, and I've been having the hot flashes start at night, too.

I really don't want to go the HRT route, but if I have to, I will. I will have to keep track of this hormonal roller coaster and let my doc know what's going on during my 6 week check up.

Any tips on trying to stay cool/sane during these hot flashes?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register