3 1/2 weeks, am I expecting too much? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 1/2 weeks, am I expecting too much? 3 1/2 weeks, am I expecting too much?

Unread 12-04-2007, 08:42 AM
3 1/2 weeks, am I expecting too much?

Had my TAH (removed the one ovary/tube I had left and uterus and all the endometriosis that had attached to everything under the sun!) on November 8. Was home on November 10 and feeling pretty good. Everything went on schedule, was up walking, moving around, passing the gas, had a BM with no pain. Life was going pretty good for being post-op.

Dr. released me back to work last week p/t. I have a desk job and sit all day. Thought that would mean I could do it no sweat. I worked mostly 6 hour days and by Thursday was very tired and sore abdominally. Friday felt like warmed over crap.

Spent the weekend mostly doing nothing. Took long naps and generally didn't feel good all over. Tired and achy and sore.

Decided that being in a sitting position for a protracted period of time actually makes my abdominal pain worse.

Tried to go back to work yesterday morning and the pain was so bad I was nauseas. Barely made it into the building/restroom before being sick which of course only made me hurt even worse! Ended up going home about 1:30 because I just couldn't take sitting in that chair anymore. Bending, whether it is sitting or just bending at the waist at all, just seems to hurt like he double hockey sticks!

So now here I am at 3 1/2 weeks, back in bed, flat, with the heating pad on my belly (the only thing that seems to keep me from feeling pain non-stop) and am angry, depressed and frustrated!

Did I just overdo it? Have I pulled something and made it worse? Or is this just normal and I'm expecting too much?

I'm having one bang up pity party today and besides hurting and feeling like crap - I just flat don't WANT to do anything else but lay here in this bed with my heating pad today! And of course, that makes me feel guilty because I was up and going to work and seemed to be ok last week. So what happened?

Tina, frustrated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2007, 09:28 AM

I'm sorry you're feeling bad froudone. I think you're doing the right thing by resting though. It means you're listening to your body and taking the must needed rest. We all heal at different rates and maybe you just weren't ready to go back to work.
I'm working through the guilt stuff too at 3.1 weeks post-op. Our Sisters here are very thoughtful and kind with their responses. We have to remember that we had major surgery and need plenty of time to heal correctly.
I hope you're feeling better and up and around soon.
Unread 12-04-2007, 10:10 AM

Thanks Fanoffox! what is it with us women, were we just born "guilty" or what?! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2007, 10:55 AM

Oh gosh, I remember Week 3 !!! In some ways, I think it was worse than Week 1. Too soon to be at work, Froudone. Ask your doctor to un-release you !!
Unread 12-04-2007, 10:56 AM

I am one day ahead of you. Last week I was saying oh I wan tto go backto work I am so bored LOL. 2 days later I was having a tired day and hubby was laughing saying about me wanting to go back to work.
I have been home alone these past 2 days and lazing around moving when I feel like it. I have tree up lights on yesterday so today I may actually decorate it. Or I maybe lazy LOL

I know I was/am doing to much and after replying to another post realized though my outside scar might look fine insides ones could be being stretched and getting ugly causing problems later.

Have an ugly scar from a surgery last year and it can bother me at times so I try to remember thqt and take it easy
Unread 12-04-2007, 10:59 AM

Thanks JoEllen - this is part of the reason I am so down and frustrated today. It seems like at 3 1/2 weeks, I should be better, not feeling worse than I did two weeks ago.......? I was beginning to think it was all in my mind!

Thank you very much
Tina
Unread 12-04-2007, 11:16 AM

Froudone I think rest is what your body was crying out for. I think 3 1/2 weeks may be a bit early. I am 8 weeks and just returned. I can not imagine having gone back at 3! You might consider Jo-Ellen's advice and talk to your doctor and boss about staying home the full 6 weeks.
Good luck and take care of yourself.
Unread 12-04-2007, 11:20 AM

Thank you all very much. I was really starting to get very down on myself thinking I was just being a whimpy cry baby! LOL This just plain HURTS! and it takes it's own sweet time, gettin over hurtin!

many thanks and hugs to your recovery also,
Tina
Unread 12-04-2007, 02:32 PM

Frudone:
I am 6 weeks and 5 days and have not returned to work yet. I do not have a desk job and did not feel like I could be on my feet all day.
Be patient. You are NOT a cry baby. You have just had major surgery and have lots of internal stitches. Once they heal, your new "repairs" are not as strong and giving as before. I told my dr my frustration and she replied, you had a lot done in there. It takes time. Rest and enjoy. You can get back to life when you are better.
Best wishes,
C
TAH - 16 week uterus, left ovarian cyst, adeno - kept ovaries
Unread 12-04-2007, 04:16 PM

HI Froudone!
I just want to tell you that I am jealous!!! I'm at three weeks and have just spent the first day doing something other than laying around and getting up to go to the bathroom! I've always been an energizer bunny in tip top shape, and I fully expected to be relaxing at home, taking advantage of the 6 weeks I have off from work. Unfortunately for me, I have some complications and I'm actually Needing more time for recovery and am so frustrated from wanting to do a million things and not being able to. Please don't feel guilty, just enjoy and take advantage of your time and don't push it. My doc told me before that I probably wouldn't feel back at 100% for 3 -6 months, and that was without the complications!!! Maybe you can put on the princess hat for a few weeks and learn to love it!! I'm just thankful for a little improvement every day, no matter how little it is, and have learned to look at this situation from a new perspective!

Good luck!

TAH BSO 11/13/2007

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register