3 1/2 weeks, am I expecting too much? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 1/2 weeks, am I expecting too much? 3 1/2 weeks, am I expecting too much?

Unread 12-04-2007, 04:32 PM
3 1/2 weeks, am I expecting too much?

There's a reason the dr.s say you need at least 6 weeks for a TAH! Trying to sit in an office chair for more than a couple of hours is very difficult, the pain and soreness is your body telling you it's too fast. I know, because I tried the same thing at 3.5 weeks too. Not such a wise idea. If you insist on working, try it for just 2 hours a day. I'd suggest you unrelease yourself, and give it a few more weeks. Trying to sit 8 hours a day in an office chair at 6 weeks is still hard. Rest yourself up, girl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2007, 09:17 AM

I'm with all of you - just past three weeks and I think week 1 and 2 were better (maybe due to pain meds!) - the boredom is killing me but I can't sleep during the day so I just move from one room to another to lay down and rest....any suggestions for neck/back pain (which in my case are almost worse than the abdomen?) By dinnertime sitting is almost impossible but then so is everything else....having been in good shape/weight prior to all of this, I think my expectations were that I'd be out Christmas shopping - hah!
Unread 12-07-2007, 09:24 AM

I came back to work this past Monday (the 3rd) from having my surgery on November 9th. My surgery went fine (other than going in for an LAVH and waking up to a TAH). Was in the hospital two days....up and walking around, everything on schedule, blah, blah.

If I'd have had more sick time available, I'd have taken four to six weeks off...I think after three weeks, it's still too early to come back to work. I'm sitting at my desk right now and feeling a bit tired and sore and still very, very swollen in the belly area.

The doctor couldn't impress on me enough "Remember, you'll heal OUTSIDE long before you'll heal INSIDE."

I kinda wish he'd "un-release" me so I could go home today and take a nap...so don't you dare feel guilty!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks everybody!

I really am glad I joined this site. Everyone has been so supportive and reassuring.

I did get "UN"released this week and stayed at home and boy am I glad. This week has been way worse than weeks 1 and 2. The nerves healing and reconnecting are enough to drive me insane and they just start burning, hurting, you name it, out of nowhere.

Next week, I will go back to work, but my bosses have made arrangements for me to only work in the mornings (when I feel the best and have the most energy) and then another girl is going to work my desk in the afternoons.

We'll see how this works out. I definitely overdid it by trying to go back too soon and have dearly paid for it this week.

Thanks again for all the support and reassurance - and to those of you who are gearing up, or just had surgery - DON'T TRY TO GO BACK TO WORK TOO SOON! LOL

Hugs to all healing,
Tina
Unread 12-07-2007, 11:57 AM

OMG that sounds like me. I had a post op at 4 weeks and felt great. Now here I am 5 weeks and 2 days later hurting. I should try the heating pad. My belly button is mostly sore as they did laproscopy first. I think that we both may have over did it! It sucks and I am depressed too. I read that it can take 6-12 months to FULLY recover. YIKES!
Unread 12-07-2007, 12:48 PM

I'm right at 2 1/2 weeks past surgery, and i'm bored out of my mind! Prior to surgery, EVERYONE was on me about not rushing my recovery, or trying to come back to work too soon, cuz they allknow that I'm the kind that can't sit still for too long. I told my boss that I would be back in the office next week (one day short of three weeks), but since he's my brother, he's cautioning me (strongly) about coming back too soon. We compromised and agreed that I will start with only half days next week. I can do some of my stuff from home, and sitting up for more than 2 hours at a time was a bit taxing on Monday, but it's gotten a lot better. I drove myself to the pharmacy this morning, and to get some breakfast, and I still feel pretty good. I actually thought I would be feeling better sooner, but the way I feel now, I do feel guilty about sitting around the house.
Unread 12-07-2007, 12:56 PM

lisie, make sure you read all the posts above and before. Please don't feel guilty. I did the same thing. Because I was feeling pretty good, I felt guilty for not being at work. Then I went to work and you don't realize how much you move, how you use and tax those muscles, etc. Getting in and out of the car to go to and from work, sitting down and getting up, sitting down and getting up and geez, just sitting at your desk for long periods of time can become painful. And the main thing, is that once you are at work, you can't just stop and go lay down or stretch out your abdomen if you need to. (maybe you can in your environment, but I couldn't exactly). But you see the point? Just because you feel good now and have long periods where you feel good and feel bored, don't necessarily mean you are ready to get back to normal, you're not! Keep the freedom to be able to go lay down and rest when you need to for as long as you can and only do what you can, when you can. Just my two cents......I've been paying for the lesson all week! LOL
Unread 12-07-2007, 01:12 PM

I understand totally. I'm trying my BEST to stay put, but I guess I've never been in this position, so I can't handle it. My brother took me over to visit my mom the other day, and she laughed at me and how restless I was - everyone normally stretches out on her bed to rest, but I couldn't relax. I think my main problem is that, in all my research, the women who had laparascopic surgeries were back at work in 3 weeks or less, so that's what I was expecting! I'm fortunate that I work for my brother, so I can take it as easy as I need to. Thanks for your words of caution/encouragement. I hope you feel better soon!
Unread 12-07-2007, 08:23 PM

I'm now four weeks into. Started back to "work: this week. Been working from home more than I should have. Comptuers stuff. I too did normal stuff Monday and Tuesday, by Wednesday I was worn out. Luckily the kids had snow days on Wed. and Friday, so I had an excuse to stay home. It's killing me to not go shopping. I'm not sure how much longer I can avoid it. Santa comes soon!
Good luck with your recovery!
Unread 12-08-2007, 03:04 AM

Yes, there is lots to do... Now all you type A gals, just cut it out!!!

LOL! But seriously, I know the feeling... it is hard to let go of what needs doing - that put me in a serious tail-spin. I did not have too much option for staying home as regards sick/vac, and believe me, I wanted to get out of the house - but it has been EXHAUSTING!!!

Take as much time as you can, get as much help as you can, get as much rest as you can...
Pamper the Princess!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register