Question about LAVH recovery time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about LAVH recovery time Question about LAVH recovery time

Unread 12-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Question about LAVH recovery time

Well I thought I was having just a LSH and found out that the surgery is LAVH. Surgery is Dec. 27th and I am scheduled to fly for business for a week on Jan. 7th. Is this possible? I have been reading a lot of the posts regarding recovery, but no one really covers when they went back to work after this particular type of surgery. I am fit. I am in the childcare business and will be helping to open a new school.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2007, 06:21 PM

Hi Marci,
I'm not sure how to answer your question since my LAVH is still 13 days away but if I find out I'll let you know! Just wanted to wish you the best & a speedy recovery!

Blessings,
Unread 12-04-2007, 08:05 PM

Hi Marci! I'm almost 6 weeks post op from my LAVH. I would definitely talk with you doc about the plane ride. Factors to consider are length of flight, walking through the airport, etc. My doctor recommended 6 weeks because she said the surgery inside is the same even though I only had 3 small incisions. I have a desk job, but she said if I went back earlier, she would only release me for 1/2 days and I would have other restrictions. I took the pain pills (Percocet) for a couple of days and then switched to Motrin, with the Percocet as needed. Now, I rarely have to take even the Motrin. I still get tired and occasionally feel achy across my abdomen. I'm anticipating being more tired in the evenings next week when I return to work.

I still have the weight restriction (nothing over 10 lbs) and only light housework. Still no vacuuming or mopping the floors. That's DH's job any way--he says I vacuum way too fast. Oh yeah, no baths, sex, or work outs yet either! Should be cleared for all that at my appointment next week.

Your job sounds very physical, so you need to ask your doctor exactly what your restrictions will be and for how long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2007, 08:34 PM

Thanks Becky, I really appreciate your candidness. Did you just do an overnight at the castle as well?
Unread 12-05-2007, 10:40 AM

Glad I can help.

I did have an overnight stay. My surgery was at 7:30 am, in my room around 10:00 am, and discharged at 3:00 pm the next day. Didn't take much since it was just 1 night. Used the hospital gown and slippers and brought a robe for roaming the halls. Also brought my toothbrush and toothpaste. Didn't take a shower until I came home. Even with an LAVH you will want loose clothing. I wore some lounge pants and a big t-shirt home. I wore my regular underwear. Didn't need a bigger size. They are bikini cut so they sit below the incisions. I did have to pull the lounge pants down a bit so they didn't rub the incision.
Unread 12-05-2007, 10:53 AM

Hi Marci,

I also had LAVH four weeks ago and consider myself extremely fit going into surgery. I needed no pain meds after the first 12 hours, came home after one night and walked (no, strolled) a half mile a day beginning on day 3. I did rest a good bit in the early weeks but have not experienced the extreme tiredness many ladies have dealt with. I also own my own business and returned to work in a very limited capacity at 3 weeks. With that said, there is no way I would have felt up a plane flight, negotiating the airport, and dealing with a week-long business trip at just 11 days post-op. Good luck!

Karen
Unread 12-05-2007, 01:31 PM

Another thing you may want to consider... what do you carry with you when you travel? A big bag? How much does it weigh? Even if your recovery is totally going great at that point, you will not want to lift more than 10 pounds, and you will definitely not want to carry even 10 pounds while you walk a long distance.

If you really need to go, could you arrange for someone to drive you to the airport and carry stuff for you until you get on the plane? At your destination, could someone meet you there, carry your stuff, and deal with your luggage?

I also had a LAVH... I am feeling pretty good now at 4 weeks out, though I am still taking Ibuprofen regularly. I am careful about what I lift after I hurt myself in a laundry-related incident.
Unread 12-05-2007, 07:24 PM

Thanks ladies, That is really what I thought. Your responses have been informative and I just hope that I recover as quickly as most. Lysippe, your blue & gold picture makes me think that you are a bird lover like me. I used to have a B&G.
Marci
Unread 12-08-2007, 05:05 PM

My doctor said that as I have an office job that I would only be out two weeks. I really cant see that as I was out two weeks (and should have been longer) after having my gallbladder out with pancreatitis.

Work is wanting me to take at least 4 wks off because when I get back we hit our busy time of the year and that means long days and alot of lifting files. I thought that seemed like an awful long time but maybe not.
Unread 12-08-2007, 05:20 PM

theres a big difference between the lsh and lavh...because one you keep your cervix and with the other it is removed and you are stitched at the top of your vagina. i believe not removing your cervix makes a big difference in recovery time. i'd be surprised (but certainly hope you do!) if you felt up to travel, airports, carrying bags and working 11 days after the surgery. some ladies really bounce back quick though and you could be one of them. do you have to let them know before you have surgery?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register