Can progestrone cream be used all the time or do I need to stop for a period of time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can progestrone cream be used all the time or do I need to stop for a period of time Can progestrone cream be used all the time or do I need to stop for a period of time

Unread 12-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Can progestrone cream be used all the time or do I need to stop for a period of time

I started progestrone cream 2 weeks ago and found the right amount that seems to be working for me. Do I continue to use it every night without any break? Or should I stop for a period of time so I don't build up too much in my tissue? I heard it could build up and maybe I need a break from it. Has anyone have any thoughts on this. thanks for any info. Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2007, 12:59 AM
Can progestrone cream be used all the time or do I need to stop for a period of time

Well.... rather than stop periodically to let the excess get used up, why not just start using a little less than you *think* the optimum amount is, so you don't build up the excess in your tissues? That's what I do... I use a really small amount, and I have never had to take a break from it at all.

The problem with letting it build up in your tissues and then stopping it to let it get used up, then starting up again, is that it results in fluctuations in your hormone levels, which can mean you could have things like hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings and insomnia as you adjust to each change (up or down).

What does your DR say?

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:18 AM

I see the ob/gyn tomorrow but she didn't prescribe it. She only prescribed the estrogen. After reading so much on here I thought it would be worth a try and bought the otc kind. I'm doing less the 1/2 of what they recommend. I think it's a small amount. they recommend 1/4 -1/2 tsp once or twice a day. I caluclated it and that is about 17mg for 1/4 tsp. I'm only doing 1/8 tsp. once a day a night. I guess that's about 8.5mg a day. I will tell my doc. what I'm doing and see what she says. I see the GP today and last time I saw her she said I didn't need progesterone but I think it really helps. I feel so much better and not even taking sleeping meds at night anymore. It's made a huge difference. Do you think that 8.5mg of progesterone is a small amount of progesterone? Maybe I should cut it down lower. Any thoughts? I will discuss it with the doc. but don't know if they will care much to respone about it. Thanks for responding Linda I really appreciate your thoughts. Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2007, 11:02 AM

Kathy, I think you are using a low dose already. You probably will not need to stop since it is so low. I am taking orally .35mg a day and I was told not to take a break. I know I am on it to prevent my endometriosis from growing and to keep my levels of estrogen in check. I hope your doctor can give you some individual advice that will help you. Please let us know what they say.
Janelle
Unread 12-05-2007, 12:38 PM

(((Janelle))) are you sure you are taking 0.35mg orally? Common oral dosages for natural progesterone would be between about 25mg and 200mg, with 200mg being on the high side imho. Of course if you're using a synthetic progestin, the dosage would be quite different and could conceivably be down in the less than 1mg range.

(((Kathy))) Everyone's needs are different, and everyone's skin permeability to the creams is different, and different brands of cream (different bases) absorb differently, so it's kind of hard to compare one person's dosage to another's.

For what it's worth, I use Oasis Serene progesterone cream, which is 600-700 mg per ounce. I figure I get about 12mg per day (I use a really small amount so that is very approximate). Years ago I once tried using ProGest (I think if I remember correctly it runs around 450mg/ounce) and using the amount they suggested on the package. It was way too much for me, and I had to stop using it totally. It was years before I dared try progesterone again, though now I do quite well on the tiny amount I use.

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda
Unread 12-05-2007, 04:33 PM

Thanks both of you for your thoughts. That was very helpful. I see the ob/gyn tomorrow and I will talk to her about this. I will say this when I started on Femgest 2 weeks ago I did a higher dose basically what they recommended and I was urinating all the time and got a bit of a headache and much sleepier during the day. I think I was a little dehydrated from peeing all the time. I feel much better on the lower dose. I will talk to the doc and see what she thinks. Thanks again for your thoughts. kathy
Unread 12-06-2007, 01:33 PM

Just a quick update. I saw my ob/gyn this morning and asked he about the progesterone and she didn't seem bothered that I was using it and didn't even ask how much. She just said that's fine. I think she worries more about the big stuff and not balancing hormones that much. I guess I could go to a wellness clinic if I want attention in this area. I'm feeling pretty well at the moment so I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I suggested a mamogram and bone density and she scheduled thoes. I guess if I wants something I have to ask and be proactive or I'll fall through the cracks.
Unread 12-06-2007, 05:45 PM

Your situation sounds like mine. My doctor wouldn't prescribe progesterone so I made an informed decision to give the over-the-counter progesterone a try. It has made all the difference in the world with sleep and balancing my estrogen. I do have a build up of estrogen in my system, though, and I do take a 4 to 5 day break from hormones every 3 months or so. I actually had to laugh at myself last week. For the last few months, I have been diligent in my regimen and been relatively symptom free. Then last week I began having symptoms. I was questioning what was wrong and, after a few days, I remembered about taking a short break. After 5 days, things are back to normal.

My doctor is unwilling to discuss anything outside of the box. I have an appointment with another physician but not until April. We'll see!
Unread 12-06-2007, 06:52 PM

That is really interesting about the 4 to 5 day break. I may consider that. I have to pretty much regulate myself. My doc. doesn't discuss anything out of the box either. I do like her as far as doing the regular stuff. She is very proactive and on the ball but I don't think she give hormones a second thought. Thanks for your thoughts I don't feel so alone.
Unread 12-14-2007, 10:43 AM

I am considering using OTC progesterone also. I am on Premarin since surgery. I was prescribed 1.25mg but Doc said I cut cut in half if I felt I needed to. What brand did you get. I have been doing some research, and found only to buy USP progest, and at least 400-500 mg per oz. I haven't been able to find any with that much locally and considering going the internet route but don't know where to purchase. Any imput would be helpful. I want to stay on the lowest dose of estrogen I can. I am having some fluid retention. My hands and face are so puffy that I can't stand it. When I asked about adjusting hormones he said he usually didn't need to and I might need to "play" with the dose. I really appreciate my doctor and I didn't feel like he was blowing me off, but didn't seemed to concerned that I would have a problem with the premarin.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register