Getting Realistic About Recovery Time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting Realistic About Recovery Time Getting Realistic About Recovery Time

Unread 12-05-2007, 02:03 AM
Getting Realistic About Recovery Time

I had planned on flying to California for my endo surgery and the hysterectomy. On return, 4 days post-op, my husband would drive back to the airport (short drive), then we would have 3 flights to get home. One of those flights is 5 hours or more. Once we're at the airport closest to home, there's another 1 hour drive. Additionally, we fly standby, so there's no guarantee of flights. Not getting a seat, or even getting a really bad seat (in the middle of the middle row with people on each side of me) is a strong possibility.

Following surgery, my husband can only stay with me for a week. After that I have to drive my daughter to school, ballet and whatever else, as well as making meals, housecleaning and caring for animals. We live on a small farm.

I do not have help - I do not have family or friends that can take time off or are even nearby to help.

I will only have two weeks total off of work. I work at a desk all day.

Please, someone help me with this... is this completely nuts? Will I be able to do this?

If this is really not possible, I cannot have the hysterectomy and will have to find other answers to my situation. I'm just coming to the realization after reading post-op info on this site, that this may be a very bad idea - to try and manage this with the travel situation and the recovery time realities.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2007, 02:19 AM

YIKES flying at 4days post op?I think you should talk to your doc about that.It may not even be possible to fly that soon.You would have to be able to wear a seatbelt and trust me you will not want a lap belt across your tummy!You will not be able to drive while you are on pain meds and at the end of week one unless you are having a great recovery or you have a high pain thresh hold you will need them.If you are flying to cali to have the surgery who is going to do your aftercare?you will also not be able to lift anything of any weight because you can tear stiches and could even hemorage inteneraly.you will also not be able to do any house work for at least the first 4 weeks.Why are you having the hyst done?I would recomend talking to your doctor about all of this and see what they say.Also most docs recomend taking at least 6 weeks off of work.I had a TLH with BSO and was told that I could go back to a desk job and week 4 but I still am getting really tired and need to prop my feet up even now at week 5.I hope this helps a little.
Unread 12-05-2007, 02:24 AM

My husband would accompany me home and carry bags and drive. But there's no getting around the flying/driving time.

If I could get some kind of disability for time off from work, then I might be able to manage financially.

Seems that I'll have to try something other than a hysterectomy but the doc says it's diseased and has to come out. But, you know, if you can't, you can't. And this isn't gonna work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2007, 07:26 PM

what Kind of hysterectomy are you having, because that can make a big difference on recovery time. Still flying may be pretty difficult.

Deb
LSH 12/20/07
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:05 PM

Still to be determined. I will lose at least one ovary, but I'm hopeful that it can be a partial hysterectomy leaving the cervix intact, and removing the uterus vaginally. I don't know what the technical term is. I don't know if I'll know for sure until I get there for my first appointment 3 days prior!
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:12 PM

I think the real deal is you won't know until after the surgery how you are. Some ladies on here (although not many) would have been able to handle that. But I'll tell you what. I scheduled 2 weeks off and one week working from home after my hyster. I had several unplanned complications in a row that changed everything. So while we would like to think we will know what will happen, we don't have a crystal ball. I would definitley have a plan B if I were you. By the way, I had a TVH, leaving both ovaries.

Starbgirl
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:19 PM

If you want to keep your cervix, a vaginal hysterectomy is not possible. The cervix is removed with a vaginal hyst. In my honest opinion, I don't believe you can do what you've planned. Is there a hospital and doctor closer to you that could perform your surgery? Is there any way for you to receive more than 2 weeks off from work? Do you have any sick leave and/or vacation time you can take? Most doctors tell us to allow a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks for surgery and healing.

I think I would seek additional opinions as to what your alternatives might be.

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:52 PM

Is there anyway you could go TLH or LSH? They have a much faster recovery time.
Unread 12-09-2007, 03:00 PM

Lenayogini - I'm not sure if I can go TLH or LSH. He was talking about LAVH with BSO. I don't understand all of the implications yet. I'm getting another diagnostic laparoscopy on Tuesday because I want to have some questions answered and I'm not comfortable with all of this until I'm sure.
Unread 12-09-2007, 03:01 PM

LAmiss - didn't know I couldn't have it done that way... really need to learn more and talk to the doc more! Thanks very much for the info.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register