Anyone else with a new best friend? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else with a new best friend? Anyone else with a new best friend?

Unread 12-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Anyone else with a new best friend?

9 Insulated cups?!?! Maybe I better take a better look at the 2 I've got...I did not know it was insulated!! I have a heated blanket I got last year for Christmas from DH!! The best gift EVER from him!! Before my two surgeries I used a corn bag that my sister made for me from feed corn! You nuke it for a minute and a half and it truly keeps the heat for quite a bit of time...plus it smells like yummy popcorn. Sweet, sweet, sweet!! My two kitties have been my best friends too since they curl up next to me or on me if I let them and they soothe away the hurts. I've never tried using cold to soothe the pain as it always made me hurt more because I have fibromyalgia! I have also found my fleece blanket has been great when I want something cozy to curl up with if I'm too hot or my feet need an extra warmer!

P.S. My two pairs of tread socks from the castle were that lovely baby poop brown too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2007, 07:17 AM

I'm with Preciouspearl.... anyone needing heat therapy... TRY THE RICE BAG! It's easy to sew one (using flannel is nice). Fill with plain long grain rice (not brown, as it "spoils"). Heat for about 3 minutes. A friend made one for me and it has lasted years. it' s about 8x12. It molds to your body and is OH SO LOVELY. Sometimes I have filled a sock with rice in an emergency, but there is nothing like the flannel!
Unread 12-06-2007, 08:10 AM

Yes, 9 cups. Before my gastric bypass last year I had many illnesses and health problems. I spent a lot of time at the hospital. Since then I've had knee surgery to repair the damage of being obese for so long and my hysterectomy. I even gave away 2 cups, so I had 11!! Now that I'm healthier, I'm hoping this last one will truly be the last one. I probably have 50 pair of those treaded booties. I've gotten to where I don't even bother to bring them home anymore. But they sure do come in handy in the winter time. I'm wearing some now. It's 20 degrees outside (got down to 15 last night) and there's snow on the ground. I love to use my insulated cups for hot cocoa and coffee in the winter. Hot soup stays hot, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2007, 09:38 AM

Oh my cup, how sad I was! I only came home with one. As my DH and Kid's were my helpers they were being very gracious to me and put my cup in the dishwasher. Well, ever since then the cup doesn't hold a seal. When you go to lift it up, drip, drip, drip.
Unread 12-06-2007, 09:46 AM

I have to admit that the heating pad is my best friend - for my frozen feet! But my absolute new best friend is my small fan and Chillows! I take my fan with me everywhere. That way when the hot flash hits, I don't have to deal with the Jekyll and Hyde syndrome! LOL Starting at the 2 week mark, the hot flashes have been getting more intense. While the top half of me is burning up, my feet are like ice. Hopefully, once I get the HRT started, I can go back to snuggling with my heat pad on my neck - I need it and I miss it.
Unread 12-06-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflies
I have to admit that the heating pad is my best friend - for my frozen feet! But my absolute new best friend is my small fan and Chillows! I take my fan with me everywhere. That way when the hot flash hits, I don't have to deal with the Jekyll and Hyde syndrome! LOL Starting at the 2 week mark, the hot flashes have been getting more intense. While the top half of me is burning up, my feet are like ice. Hopefully, once I get the HRT started, I can go back to snuggling with my heat pad on my neck - I need it and I miss it.
See, that is how I have been for weeks. Hot on top and cool on the bottom. The strange thing is that we kept my ovaries, but I have signs of "the change".
Unread 12-06-2007, 10:12 AM

I can't believe how many of you have insulated cups from the hospital. I've never even seen one. The only cups I've had in the hospital were those tacky pink plastic ones that come with the matching pink plastic pitcher and pink plastic basin. I guess I'm not going to the right hospitals!

I think I'm going to have DD make some of those rice and feed corn bags for Christmas presents. She's been learning to sew in school and she has been wanting a project to do at home. Thanks for the idea.
Unread 12-06-2007, 11:48 AM

Oh to have the tacky pink plastic pitcher... memories! I last had one of those in 1977. Although I did get the tacky pink vomit bucket!

I should also mention another set of good friends that I have really developed an attachment to. While we're not seen in public together like myself and Pad, my big big underpants and I have gotten quite close too. I love the fact that they don't come anywhere NEAR my mid-belly and sit comfortably ABOVE my belly button... no nasty (or attractive) lace to scrach me, no thong up the fanny, no cheek-a-boo, just big, old-fashioned booty coverage.
Unread 12-06-2007, 12:13 PM

Well, piffle. Here I give my very best to the hospital and they didn't even grace me with a insulated sippy cup. Hmmph.
I haven't tried the heating pad, so I went and dug it out of the deep, dark recesses of my closet. My, yes indeed, it's beginning to feel quite good.
My new bestest of friends is a black velcro back support. I thought of it about 4 or 5 days post op and have been wearing it ever since. Last night I took it off and it's been the only time I have had true, uncomfortable discomfort/pain.
I dunno though. Could I develop adhesions by holding everything so tightly? (I am reclining in bed, with a laptop, with this support on, and sneezed 3 times without sitting up or even holding my belly and it didn't hurt.)
Unread 12-06-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Oh to have the tacky pink plastic pitcher... memories! I last had one of those in 1977. Although I did get the tacky pink vomit bucket!
1977!!!! Oh my! I just got this lovely pink set in November 2007. Clearly the hospital I was at is way behind the times! My vomit bucket was actually clear -- why? so you can display the contents for all to see? That should have been left pink plastic. Now that I know, if there is a next time (Heaven help me), I'm demanding a thermal cup. Maybe I'll add that to the suggestions on my hospital survey.

My other best friend is my mini microwaveable pack that I can wrap around my wrist. Heat is supposed to be good for the superficial phlebitis I developed, so I'm using that a lot. Love my heating pad for the stomach though because that stays hot and I don't have to reheat it every 10 minutes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register