Anyone else with a new best friend? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone else with a new best friend? Anyone else with a new best friend?

Unread 12-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Anyone else with a new best friend?

Indeed 1977! I also had a full set in tan from 1972 and one in sea foam green from 1973.... so I guess your hospital has come quite a ways, actually -- you're at least in the LATE 70s!! And really, a CLEAR vomit bucket? That's just nasty. My tan and sea foam buckets actually had a little clip-on soap dish... I guess to wash up after losing your lunch.

I've decided after reading up here, that since I live practically in the middle of a corn field, I simply must make myself a corn-tastic heat pouch. Although Pad and I are unlikely to separate long-term. I also love the idea of the velcro back support -- that's just brilliant! I'd almost say "too bad I'm almost fully recovered" but I don't want to tempt fate any further at this point...

Thanks ladies for this repartee -- it's made me chuckle many times!
d.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2007, 06:07 AM

OK, I feel left out. I was born in the 80's ok 1980 to be percise. Our hospital has the pink set. The thermal cups are grey and white. I don't know about the corn thing. I've heard it works wonders and I have also heard you can burn your self. So, I don't know if I'd try that.
Unread 12-10-2007, 07:52 PM

I haven't tried/needed heating devices of any sort, other than DH, he's quite thermal. Love the cornfield comment, Toatntea, we must be neighbors. My castle came with styro cups and plastic lids....no insulated anything. Did get the poop brown socks though, 2 pairs, one pre op and one post shower. I did LOVE that big shower, even had a sitting room so DH could help wash the areas that hurt to much to reach... like my back.
But my new best friend is definitely the laptop from DH. Although I am kind of bummed that when I am able to sit back in the office for longer periods of time, it goes to his truck. boo hoo I am still trying to work on him about keeping it on the TV tray next to the bed. Wish me luck.
Other than the laptop the new best friend is my little cocker spaniel puppy who loves to cuddle, by my head of course so she doesn't hurt anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2007, 06:54 AM

Oh my gosh,
My cat used me as a landing pod about 3 am this morning. I am just about 7months out and oh man does my belly hurt. Darn cat.

When I got home from the castle my DH put one of those plastic outdoor chairs in the shower, climbed in with me and washed what I couldn't reach either. He was great. Although he refused to shave my legs and man was I itchy LOL!
Unread 12-11-2007, 10:00 AM

I have one of those rice bags. A friend of mine made me one. She used Jasmine Rice so it smells FABULOUS when it's heated.

My new best friends: a microbead travel pillow for my belly, a large body pillow down the middle of the bed (I call it my "DH don't kick me" pillow!), my fuzzy socks (although I do have some of those hospital tread socks--at least I got a RED pair!), my soft fleece robe with matching fuzzy slippers, my electric blanket for the bed, and my carry all basket (so I can carry my chapstick, pain meds, notepad, pens, etc... from room to room).

Stephanie
30 years old, TAH/BSO 11-26-07--endo, adeno, pelvic congestion
Unread 12-11-2007, 01:46 PM

okay, that carry-all basket sounds like a brilliant idea! what a nice pre-op gift that would be -- a little shower tote with notepad, pen, lip balm, rice bag, fancy lotion, and any other lovelies that weight (in total) less than 5 pounds!! It could be called the 4 1/2 Pound Tote of Heaven...

Blooming, and whoever else mentioned their DH -- that's awesome. Mine was too afraid for the longest time, so I didn't get that kind (or any other kind, really) of help. I would skip days in the shower just to let my joints heal from the contortions...

this has been so fun!
d.
Unread 12-11-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastntea
I have found that since my surgeries, I have a new best friend. My heating pad. While my insulated thermal hospital cup with built-in bendy straw (I now have a collection of three of these) is a close second, my heating pad is going to be buried with me someday. Hopefully turned on to the highest setting, as I'm sure I'll get cold.... Of course for now, I use it for all sorts of annoying persistent discomforts, like lower back ache, tummy pain, chilly toes, and even occasionally to sit on (to ease the hemmies...).

Anyone else making new friends out there other than these fine ladies here?
Dina
I love my heating pad, too. And - unfortunately, with the new "burning" sensation that's developed - I'm also befriending my ice packs. And I admit, I do love my insulated hospital cup - I thought that was awesome, so much better than the cheap old plastic pitcher that they used to give you.
Unread 12-12-2007, 08:45 AM

I too luv this cup! My daughter wants,heck no, this one's MOMMIES!

I love the fact that it helps me keep tabs of my intake, which has proved to a be a key factor in success with my bm's....almost regular, well two days concecutive with pain like you wouldn't believe but it moved all the same....

I wld also like to nominate the computer, if it wasn't for this lovely electronic box, we allwouldn't be sharing and caring for each other right now!!! What did our moms do for their recovery without it!
Unread 12-12-2007, 08:53 AM

Toastntea,

I had never thought about the carry all as a pre-op gift! I absolutely love mine. The total contents of mine include: lotion, lip balm, pain meds, pen, note cards, a few of my favorite tea bags (so dh doesn't have to guess--he can just bring me hot water!), my cell phone or cordless house phone, sticky notes, ear plugs, eye mask, and a nail file. Thanks for the idea of passing a basket on as a gift. Love it!

Stephanie
30 years old, TAH/BSO 11/26/07--endo, adeno, pelvic congestion
Unread 12-12-2007, 10:13 AM

[

I wld also like to nominate the computer, if it wasn't for this lovely electronic box, we allwouldn't be sharing and caring for each other right now!!! What did our moms do for their recovery without it![/quote]

I hadn't thought of that and your right. This web-site was God sent. I don't think I could go further on those days of dispare and depression, but if you hop on the computer and reach out for your "sisters" who have gone through or going through the same things, it really helps. You all have brought me up when I was down and we have shared hugs and tears to let eachother know "your not alone". I do wonder how our elders got through it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register