Almost 8 months post op and now I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Almost 8 months post op and now I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster Almost 8 months post op and now I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster

Unread 12-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Almost 8 months post op and now I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster

It's been almost 8 months now since I've had my total abdominal hysterectomy and I'm not on HRT because I can't get a dr. to prescribe it. I'm 45, but was 44 when I had the surgery due to fibroids causing blood loss and severe endometriosis. I felt fine for a while, but now I find myself getting moody all the time. It's like nobody can say anything to me without me getting ticked off. And all I want to do is cry, but I have nothing to really cry about. It's just that everything aggravates me, even the littlest things, and it was never like this before the surgery. I was having regular periods when I had the surgery, and my surgeon said I'd feel great in about a month. Yeah, right? Well, I don't feel great. It's getting so I can't even stand being around my boyfriend and I love him, but at this point I don't care if I ever had sex and he doesn't understand. I am on estrogen vaginal cream due to severe dryness but my dr. doesn't want me to use it any more than 3 times a week because of side effects which I don't understand. He's on the anti hormone bandwagon too. I also am leaking urine now, which is so embarrassing and is really upsetting me. Pretty soon I'll have to go back to wearing panty liners just for that, not to mention I have to urinate 100 times a day, or so it seems. This isn't the recovery my dr. told me about and she left her practice to go somewhere else so I can't see here again. Is all this normal, or has anyone else experienced this? It's like I just want to be alone and have the whole world go away. I don't sleep well either and never have since the surgery. Anyone feel like I do? Or am I the only one? I never though surgical menopause could be this bad. But from what my drs. say, I'm going to have to deal with it on my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2007, 10:18 AM

Hi Luvs

No you are not the only one. I had a supracervical Hyst for really really large fibroids in July and i feel the same way. My ovaries are still there and are pretty much doing their job but some days I fel like I am hell on wheels. Stuff that would slightly irritate me now REALLY honkerblonkes me off at times. I stayed up one night a few weeks ago crying over stuff that may have bothered me but not reduce me to tears. Sometimes I feel very anti-social but I just don't want to be aggravated or take something out on someone for no reason. So I mainly stay quiet. I get that way more if I am tired or hungry it seems. I don't want to do any HRT if I don't have to but I don't know why I feel this way. Physically I feel better than I have in ages but emotionally I have good/bad days.sigh...and I am only 36!. What to do, what to do?
Unread 12-05-2007, 10:31 AM

Hi Ladies -

I fel so badly for both of you! I don't think you should have to feel like this!! If I were in your shoes I would go see an endocrinologist right away. They deal with hormone issues all the time. I went to one for a very rapid rise in blood pressure that my cardiologist could not diagnose. So what I mean by that is I'm a runner and virtually overnight my BP went from 108 / 60 to 210 / 125!!! Finding the cause was like a needle in a haystack and in 2 visits after 8 months of other Dr trying, the endo found the problem.

You could also luvs try to find a new gyno that could help you. Don't leave a stone unturned as you deserve a happy and rewarding life!! You had that before so as you search for your answer - keep your eye on the prize!!

Hugs and prayers for you both ~

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2007, 11:10 AM

You should definitely have your blood hormone levels checked. They are constantly adjusting, and it sounds like you're now in need of some therapeutic hormone replacement. I don't get these "anti hormone" doctors. Any doctor that unilaterally decides against an entire treatment option isn't really helping his patients. I'd be looking for another gyn.
Unread 12-05-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie3628
You should definitely have your blood hormone levels checked. They are constantly adjusting, and it sounds like you're now in need of some therapeutic hormone replacement. I don't get these "anti hormone" doctors. Any doctor that unilaterally decides against an entire treatment option isn't really helping his patients. I'd be looking for another gyn.

Hi Trixie,
I went to 3 different drs. None of them knew what the previous dr. said, and they all told me that they would not prescribe any HRT. Their reasoning was that I am 45 and because there is a history of strokes in my family, they wouldn't feel right putting me on anything, even something that is low dose. And I have no health insurance, so those dr. visits were paid out of pocket by me. I felt good up until probably a month ago. I've always been so easy going, now I find that my temper flares for no reason at all and all I want to do is cry about anything and everything. I don't even know what I want to cry about. None of it makes sense. I was told before my surgery that I could take HRT. Afterwards it was a different story. And while the hot flashes and night sweats aren't much of a problem these days because it's so cold, my emotions are all over the place. I wish drs. would be more educated about things than just the surgery. The surgery is nothing compared to how you feel afterwards. I had everything taken out. Ovaries, tubes, uterus. The only thing left behind that couldn't come out was my cervix. The endometriosis made it too risky to take out. So that is all I have left. Going through surgical menopause has been miserable. All the drs. say to me is that things will level out. Well when? When I'm too old to be able to do anything?
Unread 12-05-2007, 12:14 PM

I'm sorry you're going through this. There are some natural alternatives, maybe check on the Hormones board here? And perhaps an antidepressant might help with the mood issues if you can't take hormones.
:hugz
Unread 12-05-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie3628
I'm sorry you're going through this. There are some natural alternatives, maybe check on the Hormones board here? And perhaps an antidepressant might help with the mood issues if you can't take hormones.
:hugz

I am on antidepressants right now and I was on them long before I had the surgery due to anxiety attacks. Unfortunately they don't do much for the mood swings. I wish they did, and I've tried so many of them.
Unread 12-05-2007, 12:30 PM

i'm sorry you arent feeling better. sometimes its about quality of life and if surgical menopause is destroying your life, you probably need to weigh the benefits and risks of hrt and/or anti-depressants. you are only 44 and have some of the best years of your life ahead of you. i understand that you dont have medical insurance but you really need to see someone...maybe call a compounding pharmacy near your home and ask them who they would recommend for bioidentical hormones.
good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register