Four-week check today - see you in a year? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Four-week check today - see you in a year? Four-week check today - see you in a year?

Unread 12-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Four-week check today - see you in a year?

I had my 4-week post-op check today with my doctor. Everything is healing nicely according to him. He said he doesn't need to see me again for a year.

Not that I love seeing my doctor, but it just seems like 4 weeks might be a little soon to totally dismiss me. I've read many posts where something has come up at 8 weeks or several months down the road, and I'm wondering how will I ever know if something bad is happening if I won't see him for another year. My internal stitches haven't even dissolved yet at 4 weeks.

Does the hysterectomy reset the clock as far as annual exams? I would have been due in March. Now do I have to wait all the way until next December before I can have the upper half checked. I've never had a mammogram and now I've got to wait until next December.

I'm totally depressed. I feel like since I've been dismissed for a year, I should be resuming the life of a normal person. I don't feel like normal yet. I'm tired and nauseous and in complete pain after being on my feet for even an hour (so much for Christmas shopping). Yes, I'm supposed to be taking it easy for 2 more weeks according to him, but being told, see you in a year, makes me feel like I'm all recovered and don't deserve to be pampered anymore.

Anyone else get totally dismissed at 4 weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2007, 03:17 PM

I saw my doc at two weeks and am due again at six weeks (next Wed). I will be asking her many similiar questions, however, everyone I've ever talked with have said six weeks is the earliest...

I still have my cervix and ovaries so I know I will have the dreaded annual pap and check-up annualy--I would imagine the clock will start over again from next week.

What type of procedure did you have? If you're still not feeling well, you should definately insist on seeing your doc again and explain what's going on.

Best wishes!
Unread 12-05-2007, 03:54 PM

I agree with worrytoomuch if you're in pain and nausiated you should insist on seeing him down the road and not wait for the year.

I had a TAH and my dr. told me I would need a pap every three years as long as I'm sexually active.
You know all drs are different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2007, 04:05 PM

the first time I went back to my gny. was 6 wks after hyst. but didn't even see the dr. I was having a problem so she had me come back in 2 more wks. I then saw the dr. and I got the silver nitrait treatment. He then said he will see me in a year. So, I will not see him again in a year unless I have a problem. Hopefully everything will be good for me and for you when we can go back in one year.
Unread 12-05-2007, 04:06 PM

I saw my Dr today for my 6 week check up and he said he'd see me back in 3 months..
Unread 12-05-2007, 04:24 PM

I was initially released at 4 wks, but made appt anyway at 6 weeks, was back in at 8 weeks (blood clot on cuff showed up on sonogram) and at 10 weeks for follow-up.

Then I was released for a year -- But was back in yesterday at almost 6 mo!! I had been having cramps for a week, then started spotting a bit (only showed on tissue). Since I had a polyp or something causing it, he cauterized it.

I was told the annual exam should be scheduled one year from last one (even if you don't need paps smear any more).

If you have any problem - call for 6 week appt. or if it just gives you peace of mind - call. I made mine at 6 weeks for the latter - which was before we found the clot.

I have found we need to be pro-active in our own health, so call!!
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:29 PM

i believe i was released at 2 weeks but started bleeding a few weeks later and had to be seen. i dont think its unusual to be released like that. if you continue not to feel well, make an appt to discuss it with him.
Unread 12-05-2007, 06:52 PM

My doc also told me I wouldn't have to come in until next year (unless something came up that was worrisome or if I had any ?'s I should call.)
I was not completely healed at 4wks (still tender) but he said probably in another week or 2. I've been very fortunate to have a pretty uneventful recovery (so far.)

I'd be keeping in close contact w/ my dr. if I was still dealing w/ pain & nausea. Even though I'm not having those issues, I have called his office w/ ?'s I've had.. just to make sure what I'm going through is the normal part of healing. But when in doubt, call & make an appt. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
Unread 12-05-2007, 07:03 PM

I saw my dr on MOnday for my 4 week. He released me to go back to work if I didn't do any lifting. I am waiting until next Monday.

I have other issues (they found a very rare cancer). So, I have to have scans done in 6 months but I dont' have to see him again until then unless I have a problem.

As for the mamogram and other exam issues you can schedule those at your own convenience. If it were me - because I think about this sort of stuff - I would schedule a year after my exam this year because insurance will pay again then. I try not to wait until December for anything because that puts treatments on next years deductable.

I schedule my own mamogram. That's how our center works. I just call them up and schedule it. They send the results to my dr. I have done this since I was 35.

Good luck
CS
Unread 12-05-2007, 07:30 PM

I have a similar concern. I went in yesterday for my two week appointment and was told that I do not need to come back unless something is wrong! I am wondering if that is normal but I do see that one sister was released at two weeks. I just worry that I may not know if something is wrong. I also would definitely see the doctor if you are not feeling well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register