Hematoma-scared need some advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hematoma-scared need some advice Hematoma-scared need some advice

Unread 12-06-2007, 12:43 AM
Hematoma-scared need some advice

I had a TAH/BSO on Sept. 20. My hemoglobin dropped to 6.8 after surgery. A couple weeks post op my left leg began to hurt. I discussed with DR, and he said it could be the nerves were moved around during surgery and would take time to heal. He put me on a multivitamin to help with the hemoglobin. At 6 weeks post op it was up to 11. I was scheduled to return to work at 8 weeks post op. I was still having cramps in my abdomen and my left leg was still hurting. I went back to the doctor, my hemoglobin had dropped again to 9.2. Dr. said I was losing blood somewhere. He put me on an iron pill plus my multivitamin. I had a CT scan at 8 weeks post op. It showed a hematoma the size of grapefruit. My dr says the hematoma is putting pressure on a nerve causing the leg pain. I have almost constant pain in my abdomen. My doctor wants to try to let my body absorb it. I am fine with that I really would like to avoid any more surgery. Dr has not let me return to work yet, I am 11 weeks post op today. I have had several people tell me they can be dangerous-now I am afraid. Does anybody know if they are dangerous? I know if they burst they can cause infection. What are the things I should/should not be doing? Thanks for the help in advance!! Fellow hystersisiters to the rescue. I love this site!! You gals are awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2007, 07:05 AM

Joy, So sorry to hear that you are suffering. I will be praying for you as I can only imagine how scary this is for you. I would take it easy and listen to your body and your doctor. Above all else, listen to what God is telling you to do! Sending you many gentle hugs and prayers!
Unread 12-06-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jes97
I had a TAH/BSO on Sept. 20. My hemoglobin dropped to 6.8 after surgery. A couple weeks post op my left leg began to hurt. I discussed with DR, and he said it could be the nerves were moved around during surgery and would take time to heal. He put me on a multivitamin to help with the hemoglobin. At 6 weeks post op it was up to 11. I was scheduled to return to work at 8 weeks post op. I was still having cramps in my abdomen and my left leg was still hurting. I went back to the doctor, my hemoglobin had dropped again to 9.2. Dr. said I was losing blood somewhere. He put me on an iron pill plus my multivitamin. I had a CT scan at 8 weeks post op. It showed a hematoma the size of grapefruit. My dr says the hematoma is putting pressure on a nerve causing the leg pain. I have almost constant pain in my abdomen. My doctor wants to try to let my body absorb it. I am fine with that I really would like to avoid any more surgery. Dr has not let me return to work yet, I am 11 weeks post op today. I have had several people tell me they can be dangerous-now I am afraid. Does anybody know if they are dangerous? I know if they burst they can cause infection. What are the things I should/should not be doing? Thanks for the help in advance!! Fellow hystersisiters to the rescue. I love this site!! You gals are awesome.

I am sorry you are dealing with this. I am going through the same thing. I have one on my right side that is giving me grief. I found out at 3 weeks post op, when I went to the ER because the pain was so bad I couldn't even stand up. They did a cat scan and my oncologist who did my surgery wants to wait. I have another cat scan this saturday to see if it is getting smaller. My doctor also wants it to be absorbed on its own, and so do I. I have already had to have another op after my hysterectomy. I don't want another. As far as it turning to infection, I was just told to let them know immediately if I get a fever, or if the pain changes. I think if mine was going to turn into an infection it would have by now. I know I wasn't much help, but I wanted you to know you are not alone.
Janelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2007, 11:10 AM

Maybe we should start a hematoma sisters group?? I also have a hematoma... sitting above my incison on the left side.. was putting so much pressure on bowels, nerves and circulation that I was completely miserable and dr wants it to resolve by itself......

Having a hematoma is not dangerous... it's a pain.... it's only if the hematoma becomes infected that it's a problem (to the medical community- sorry for my sarcasm!)

I could tell you a long drawn out story if you want to hear it, but the best thing you can do for it, according to sisters here, and now confirmed by my nurse practitioner, is to put moist heat on it to help it resolve... and just take it easy, not pushing yourself too much, which is what we should be doing anyway.

Hope this helps. Keeping you in my prayers!

TAH/BSO 11/13/2007
Unread 12-06-2007, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, advice and mostly the prayers. I will continue to pray for each of you also. I will listen to my body and not overdo. I go back to the dr on the 13th I'll keep you up to date. Thanks again for your help. I feel more at ease now. Love ya'll!
Unread 12-06-2007, 12:03 PM

From the other side of the tracks here...
I had a hematoma that burst and filled my entire pelvis with infection. I spent 6 days in the ICU, had emergency surgery, had 21 days of high-powered antibiotics, and was told I just barely survived. So can they be dangerous, I'm inclined from my own personal experience to say, well, yes. As someone prior said - be VERY mindful of a fever. And if you're taking pain meds, you may want to let them wear off for a few hours so you can get an honest temperature reading. As I said in another post - my temp was only reading at 98.9-99.2, but when the Advil wore off, it turned out my fever was actually 103. I'm not saying this to scare you, just making sure you have all sides of the story, because I know I wish I had known.

I will pray for you and keep you in my thoughts. Thank you for keeping us up-to-date. Meantime take care of yourself!
d.
Unread 12-06-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickfranke
Maybe we should start a hematoma sisters group?? I also have a hematoma... sitting above my incison on the left side.. was putting so much pressure on bowels, nerves and circulation that I was completely miserable and dr wants it to resolve by itself......

Having a hematoma is not dangerous... it's a pain.... it's only if the hematoma becomes infected that it's a problem (to the medical community- sorry for my sarcasm!)

I could tell you a long drawn out story if you want to hear it, but the best thing you can do for it, according to sisters here, and now confirmed by my nurse practitioner, is to put moist heat on it to help it resolve... and just take it easy, not pushing yourself too much, which is what we should be doing anyway.

Hope this helps. Keeping you in my prayers!

TAH/BSO 11/13/2007
Yes! A hematoma sisters group sounds great. I just wish I wasn't a member. I do like your point about the medical community thinks it is no problem. Thats not what my abdomen says. It thinks it is s big problem. Good luck!
Janelle
Unread 12-06-2007, 12:31 PM

Toastnea,
OMG! I'm so sorry to hear about your experience.. What you said about the advil is such good advice.... exactly why I try to stay away from any kind of pain killers as long as I can stand it. I personally think it is very important to listen to your body.... no one knows it as well as the one who lives with it!

Any idea what caused yours to burst? I'm guessing it was most likely infected before it burst... bacteria can cause an increase in pressure and girth in a contained space due to all their metabolism by-products...speaking from someone who works with them in the lab!

H0w are you doing now??? Blessings to you.

Patty
TAH/BSO 11/13/2007
Unread 12-06-2007, 07:57 PM

Mine burst because of a combination of severe anemia and blood thinners that I had been on for a week from my pulmonary embolism... I'm just a big old ball of fun and excitement!

As for now, I'm slowly coming back to me. I've been severely depressed after these many weeks, but I think I'm slowly coming around. I have had numerous other things happen that are contributing to my situational depression and won't go into that now, but suffice it to say, the further I get away from the surgeries, the better I feel -- emotionally included.

Thanks for asking. And bless you as well,
d.
Unread 12-06-2007, 10:13 PM

I also had a rather large (19x9x4 cm.) hematoma along my incision line, in front of the abdominal wall. I know very well, you're not having any fun right now.

When mine was first diagnosed (at 7 months post-op -- my belly was very numb after surgery, so I didn't feel anything for months ) one of the doctors initially thought they'd be doing surgery right away. But then they called back and said they wanted to see if it would resolve on its own.

It's true that doctors don't consider hematomas (or seromas) dangerous in and of themselves, unless they are causing another issue with you such as infection or too much pressure on organs. If they become infected, you are in very real danger and need to get to the doctor or ER as soon as possible.

The reason that docs usually want to let the hematoma resolve on its own is that the very act of treating it (by draining, or by surgery) gives the body another opportunity to develop a problem such as infection. Most hematomas really do resolve with conservative treatment.

In the meantime, however, don't be shy about asking for good pain control if you're uncomfortable. My GP went from being skeptical of my pain to asking me if Percoset was strong enough when she saw my hematoma on the CT scan.

You need to rest a great deal, and really pay heed to the lifting restrictions, as well as limit any sort of strain on the abdominal area. You want to give the hematoma every chance to reduce in size!

Hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register