Hormonal Imbalance vs. Clinical Depression | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormonal Imbalance vs. Clinical Depression Hormonal Imbalance vs. Clinical Depression

Unread 12-06-2007, 06:45 AM
Hormonal Imbalance vs. Clinical Depression

I had a TAH/BSO on Nov 19th. I've had my share of post-op problems, but nothing drastic or unusual. Although pre-op my gyn and surgeon mentioned that I will need to be on HRT after surgery, that has not been addressed yet. My 6 week appt is Dec 21st.
My concern is that I have clinical depression and am on medication for that. Since surgery I feel totally, emotionally bankrupt ~ no tears, no mood swings, just blah. I don't know whether to attribute this to normal recovery, hormonal imbalance, or exacerbated depression. And how do you tell which is which? I have friends who've had hyst. and were put on HRT immediately after surgery. Is there a determining factor to wait for some and not for others?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this or similar experience?
Thanks in advance for your replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2007, 08:29 AM

You might call the doctor treating you for depression. The lack of estrogen can cause depression and might be interfering with your current medication. The dr might want to adjust your meds or put you on HRT if the lack of estrogen due to no ovaries is to blame. Hang in there.
Unread 12-06-2007, 11:01 AM

Dearest Sojourner!
I had TAH/BSO Nov. 13, so I'm right there with you. My doc hasn't even talked to me about hormones, and the nurse said they would address it at my 6 week post op. appointment IF i have symptoms.... but they didn't even talk to me about what symptoms they might be.

Truth is, hormones can play havoc with a lot of things. And from talking to all my hyster sisters in my home town, I know that everyone is different, and I've been told that you just have to keep trying different things to see what works for YOU. I wouldn't hesitate to talk to the dr. that prescribed your anti-depressants and let them know what's going on. I'm guessing it's not the same dr???

I also think your mood will improve as you get better, but be warned it will most likely be much slower than you want it to be!

as for me, I cried every day the first week I was home and started having night sweats immediately. I'm also a nut when it comes to trying to reduce the amount of meds I take (took myself off antidepressants that were keeping down complicated migraines) and try to do things as natually as possible(have to keep the thyroid meds though!). So I tried drinking soy milk, which has the phytoestrogen (plant estrogen) that works on the same estrogen receptors in our bodies. It's made a world of difference for me. I found that three glasses did the trick. Less than that, and I was still sweating.

Best of luck to you, hang in there and be good to yourself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2007, 12:23 PM

Hi Sojourner--

Boy I am standing right next to you with those questions. I also went into surgery with both clinical depression and an anxiety disorder. One of the reasons I had my ovaries taken out was to provide an "even playing field" for the treatment of my mood disorders--it is soooo very hard to tell what is what--in fact, we can't separate them as they are intertwined.

I'm just a week and a half post-op and have been feeling much like you mention--flat--until today when I've been weepie all day. I immediately began having heavy duty night sweats which continue. Saw the gyn-doctor yesterday to have my staples removed and she said nothing about HRT. I also had a phone appt. with my psych. on Monday--her take was it was too early to make a decision. She did suggest I go off the percoset and get a different pain med--the gyn gave me Anaprox DS, which has been much, much better for me all around.

I have many questions and concerns going forward, so I hope we can keep this discussion going and maybe report in on our journeys, whatever they may be. I have a gyn appt. the beginning of January and a psych. appointment on Dec. 17. And I've insisted in the past that they talk with one another--might have to ask them to do that again.

Blessings on us all--especially a patience blessing!
Hattie
Unread 12-06-2007, 01:21 PM

Thanks Hattie for your reply. It's good to hear I'm not alone with my questions. I put a call into my psych. after I posted my question - haven't heard back yet. I met with my therapist last night and she was surprised that I hadn't started HRT yet which is what prompted all these queries.

I just want to feel better, but I'm reminded that I'm only a bit over 2 weeks out from major surgery and still very early in my recovery. I need to be patient - just not sure what to expect...and quite frankly am a little frightened as to what to expect~ especially emotionally, and especially in light of the underlying depression. Does that even make sense? Please do keep in touch.
Unread 12-06-2007, 02:35 PM

Hi,
I know exactly how you feel. I had a panic attack about one week after my surgery, and didn't know whether to attribute it to depression or hormones. I am also on an antidepressant, and he gave me a sedative to take to help me through the worse part. He thinks the surgery through me into a depression. Be sure and ask your psych about that. As for the hormones, I am on the vivelle dot, and so far, I guess it's working okay.....
Keep us posted on your situation. Things have got to get better!
My dr. puts all of his patients on HRT immediately after surgery....just standard for him I guess.
Blessings!
Grace
Unread 12-06-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner
I had a TAH/BSO on Nov 19th. I've had my share of post-op problems, but nothing drastic or unusual. Although pre-op my gyn and surgeon mentioned that I will need to be on HRT after surgery, that has not been addressed yet. My 6 week appt is Dec 21st.
My concern is that I have clinical depression and am on medication for that. Since surgery I feel totally, emotionally bankrupt ~ no tears, no mood swings, just blah. I don't know whether to attribute this to normal recovery, hormonal imbalance, or exacerbated depression. And how do you tell which is which? I have friends who've had hyst. and were put on HRT immediately after surgery. Is there a determining factor to wait for some and not for others?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this or similar experience?
Thanks in advance for your replies!
Hi Sojourner, you mentioned that you are on medication for depression. Sometimes when I'm on a high amount of antidepressants I get flat, unemotional and lose my passion. Are you on a high dose of meds? Surgery can add to this too. I had terrible anxiety after surgery and panic attacks. I'm feeling better now. I am taking a higher dose of antidepressant now too. I'm noticing that I'm feeling a bit blah. I'm going to cut mine back a little after the holidays. I hope the anxiety doesn't come back if I do. It's like I have a new normal now that I have to deal with. What a learning experience this has been. I hope you get some relief soon. Blessings, Kathy
Unread 12-07-2007, 01:07 PM

I am about 5.5 weeks out and my depression is SO UNBELIEVABLE I don't know what to do. I am on meds for depression and mood stabilizer and they put me also on Enjuvia. I don't even know where to turn to next. I have a fear of going to a male psychiatrist because I am afraid they will not understand the implications and feelings of a female and I also do not know if I need to go to a psych or to my ob/gyn?

My life is falling apart. I think of suicide every.single.day. Often more than once. All I want to do is cry and cry and cry.

Unread 12-08-2007, 04:47 AM

Dear Queeva,

My heart goes out to you... Please please please talk to your prescribing doctor. And have him confer with your ob/gyn surgeon. They need to put their heads together to get you some relief.

You do not need to feel this way.
We are here to listen.
Unread 12-08-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queeva
I am about 5.5 weeks out and my depression is SO UNBELIEVABLE I don't know what to do. I am on meds for depression and mood stabilizer and they put me also on Enjuvia. I don't even know where to turn to next. I have a fear of going to a male psychiatrist because I am afraid they will not understand the implications and feelings of a female and I also do not know if I need to go to a psych or to my ob/gyn?

My life is falling apart. I think of suicide every.single.day. Often more than once. All I want to do is cry and cry and cry.

Queeva,

Your depression could be a combo of things. I feel for you. I know what suicidal thoughts are like. Your need to talk to some doc. and maybe get on better meds and balanced hormonally. I take enjuvia too. A very small dose .3mg. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I will pray that you are guided to the right doc. so you can have some relief. You deserve it. God Bless you.

Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register