Hair Issues? Anyone Else? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hair Issues? Anyone Else? Hair Issues? Anyone Else?

Unread 12-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Hair Issues? Anyone Else?

My hair isn't falling out, but it's become very dull. I inherited my mother's gorgeous, thick hair. It's always been this wonderful shining chestnut mass with streaks of red and orange and and gold in the sunlight that people envy. Since the TAH, though, it's become dull. It's still as thick but no matter what I do it won't shine. I miss my pretty hair! Is a lack of estrogen the culprit in this too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2007, 06:10 PM

Interesting topic! I'm 6 mos post-op. Initially, I my hair started falling out, then got thick and course. My hair continues to fall out, but what is weird is my leg hair! Right after surgery I had no leg hair growth for about a week, then it grew back -- very quickly, it was courser and more plentiful. I was shaving daily to keep up with it. Recently, it has stopped growing all together. I shave about every 2 weeks. Anyone know what's up with that???? Satchmo
Unread 12-19-2007, 05:14 AM

I just checked out the tampon art site. I was laughing so hard my husband came in to see what was going on. He laughed too, but when he got to the tampon heart earrings it was time for him to leave. Hilarious stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2007, 08:39 AM

On the hair issue... my boss last night was telling me that it's not the post-hyst hormonal fluctuation so much as it's the affects of the anesthesia that make our hair all goofy.

Mine is still pretty wonky, though not quite as weird as it was the first few days. I was hoping that maybe some of the newfound "oiliness" of my hair would stick around, that's easier to counter than my normally dry hair.
Unread 12-19-2007, 10:50 AM

Hey, what's this about Viggo? I am a major LOTR fan, I've been watching it this past week as I recover. Did he really make a tree out of that?

That just blows my image of him girls. I mean a sword-weilding manly man making a tree out of T's? Just doesn't compute well, ya'know?
Unread 12-19-2007, 02:12 PM

Tam,
Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to figure out what is anesthesia, hormones, or blood loss that is causing me to be so different in many ways. I feel like I'm fighting to get ME back. Everything is so abnormal, even at 6 mos post-op. I'm hoping they are not permanent.
Satchmo
Unread 12-19-2007, 11:02 PM

I never noticed much of a difference in my hair, however after doing hair for 14 years and having a few surgeries myself I will say anesthesia and drugs will definitely have an impact on your hair and nails. I would think coloring your hair would be okay, but as for perming I would wait at least 6 months. But that is only my opinion!! I hope everyone has a great wig-free holiday!!
Unread 12-21-2007, 07:04 AM

too funny on tampon/pad crafts. I've got some tampons in my drawer at work. Hair issues ... when I saw this topic, I thought of the other hair. I have thought about trimming up some of my pubic hair that is much longer than the rest. That part is slow to come back. it's growing.

My head hair grew like crazy during recovery. I had a haircut right before surgery and had another one at 6 weeks. My DD said that I really needed a cut. I was surprised.

Hormones can play a part in many, many things, so hair is probably one.
Unread 12-21-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtalk
Hey, what's this about Viggo? I am a major LOTR fan, I've been watching it this past week as I recover. Did he really make a tree out of that?

That just blows my image of him girls. I mean a sword-weilding manly man making a tree out of T's? Just doesn't compute well, ya'know?
Oh yes, he did indeed. I read it more than once in different articles and found it again on an Orlando Bloom website.

"The onscreen fellowship echoes the one behind the Kookaburra tree. Mortensen and Orlando Bloom spent much of their off-time on a green bus they named the "C-Bago." According to Mortensen, "It was a crazy small bus" that he decorated wall-to-wall with his behind-the-scenes photos of the set. For Christmas, they had a tree made out of tampons. The C-bago became a frat house, where much drinking and partying ensued."

He's so crafty!

As far as the hair issues, I WISH my hormones would make it grow faster. I have noticed too that I have several white hairs now too (I plucked them out, of coruse.) I'm not quite ready to turn white just yet!
Unread 12-21-2007, 08:15 AM

I read many books while off work, but one interesting one: Growing Gray. It's a great read about natural graying and how so many folks color their hair. All of my hair is real with natural highlights.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register