Bleeding and cramping severely 2 years after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bleeding and cramping severely 2 years after hysterectomy Bleeding and cramping severely 2 years after hysterectomy

Unread 12-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Bleeding and cramping severely 2 years after hysterectomy

Hello fellow sisters,

I had a full hysterectomy almost 2 years ago and have experienced menstrual like cramps starting about a year ago and it seems to happen once a month for about a week just like a period and over the past year I have been bleeding during these times. But it is getting worse and worse. The cramps are more severe to where I need a heating pad and my legs ache and the bleeding has increased and I wear light pads now and pieces of tissue come out in the toilet with the blood. I had endometriosis which was one of the reasons I had to have the surgery and I am worried that it is back. My husband is freaked out b/c he keeps saying but they took everything out and sealed you up above your cervix so nothing should be getting out but something is definitely going on. I am set to see my obgyn in a month (she is always booked up 3 months) and I just returned from a year away for internship so I haven't seen her for over a year.

Anyone else have problems like this 2 years after your surgery. I thought I was doing well because after the surgery I healed fast and well and had few complications after the surgery that was complex but it might have seemed too good to be true.

I would love to hear from others with any stories or symptoms like this. I am just trying to figure out what could be going on. I am sitting here in terrible constant pain with the heating pad on my abdomen remembering back to all those times I spent miserable with my nightmarish periods and I don't want to have to go through anything like it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2007, 03:46 AM

Wow! I don't have any similar experience to share, but I do think this sounds a bit more serious than waiting another month for an appt!! Did you explain how much bleeding and pain are involved?? I would think your dr could work you in, in a case like this, or perhaps give you a name of another dr that could see you sooner. As your dh says, where could this blood be coming from, and how is it getting out??? These are pretty serious questions and I encourage you to press your dr a bit more firmly for an appt (maybe let your dh talk to the receptionist!!!).
I'll be praying.
Lori
Unread 12-07-2007, 04:38 AM

AMEN! This is NOT right.... if this doc can't see you, get one who can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2007, 07:14 AM

you sure you had EVERYTHING removed? i know my body still cycles with only an ovary,nothing else,but for you where is the blood coming from and most of all how is it getting out? do you still have your cervix?cause if you dont have any of your original female parts i would certainly be hightailing it fast to the closest outpatients .hope you get some answers soon,take care
Unread 12-07-2007, 08:16 AM

Sounds like either you've got a tear in your vaginal cuff or the endo has grown inside your vagina. Either way, it's not good, and I agree that getting in to see the doc on a more immediate basis is warranted.
Unread 12-07-2007, 04:03 PM

I called again and I will get in to see her early next week. I definitely had everything removed except the cervix I did keep that. Whatever it is feels internal for sure it feel just like menstrual cramps because it hurts on both sides like it did when I had my period. It is cramping around the pelvic bone area - worse on the left but hurts on both.

When I had my surgery my doc said it was so bad internally that she tried to get it all but the endo was everywhere and attached to everything in sight and she took both ovaries but she did say if even a tiny part of the ovary tissue is left behind that it can try to grow back. I can't believe that. It sounds so crazy. Man I hope nothing has grown back but it probably has. I had two surgeries and after the first they had just drained the ovaries and in two months they had already filled back up with cysts and other gooey stuff. It just isn't giving up I guess.

Thanks for everyone's replies. If anyone has the same situation please share. It sure would be comforting to hear that I am not alone here. I thought this crap was over.
Unread 12-11-2007, 12:16 AM
update from doctors visit

Hello everybody

Well my doctor fit me in today and it isn't good news. They did an ultrasound and she said there is an ovarian mass that has grown back since my last surgery in january 06. She said it was large. They took everything out but she said if even a tiny little piece of ovary tissue is left it can grow back and that is what happened. She seemed concerned and said they had to stop my hormones immediately because it is contributing to the growth. They are going to give me Lupron shots sometime in the next few weeks to see if they can shrink the mass but she said the pain may not stop which definitely sucks. I just have to live with it. She said they can surgically take it all out but she knew I wasn't going to be ready to handle a 3rd surgery in two years so she was like "I know you don't want to go that route right now". I mean i just graduated with my phd and moved into my own private practice last week so the timing is terrible for work. I was just getting a real life after having lived in pain for 29 years of my life. I thought after the hysterectomy that things were looking up and I had a good year in between that after healing from the terrible 7 hour surgery I had so this is devastating to find out it is happening all over again when I was finally getting excited about having a good quality of life.

My doctor said if they even tried to put me back on hormones later that it would continue to grow back and keep doing it over and over again so I am not sure what that means now. I guess she is saying I won't be on any hormone replacement which really concerns me b/c after my hysterectomy she is the one who said since I am only 30 that she insists on me being on hormones because of the risks going without them at this age. So now I have to figure something out I guess. I am wondering if all my menopausal symptoms are going to start coming back once the hormones leave my system - hot flashes, moodiness, poor concentration, terrible insomnia, night sweats, restless legs, depression, etc. I don't know alot about how this all works so I am not sure what will happen. If anyone has any tips for what to do for these things without relying on hormones that will be great - any herbal remedies or things others have tried.

Any tips on managing this pain would be greatly appreciated. There is a constant pain where the ovary was and is now growing back. And my legs and back just throb and ache like crazy. I keep a heating pad on my back and stomach and feet propped up when I am at home but I will have to go back to work soon. Doing all that we do in our daily lives with this pain and inconvenience is amazing isn't it. Women are definitely stronger when managing pain and medical issues than men.

Well thanks for the posts so far and keep them coming if you have ideas. I am open to anything at this point.
Unread 12-11-2007, 04:33 AM

Well that certainly is disappointing news for you. I'm so sorry that this was what you found out; however, now this pain has a name and you are at last in a position to do something about it once and for all. Let me say I completely understand your position on not wanting another surgery. Myself, I just had two in the span of four weeks. In late 2003/2004, I had three surgeries in the span of 6 months. While surgery/recovery is never a picnic, it may be your best option, and strangely, the least disruptive to your life. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but it might be easier to interrupt your life for a few weeks now before your practice kicks into high gear and get this thing taken care of. The alternative is potentially having your each and every day interrupted for who knows how long because of chronic severe pain, monthly period-like events, as well as all those side effects of menopause which you're referring to.

Also, as a certified holistic nutritional consultant, I'll say this with regards to natural remedies - there are several options which can help alleviate the effects of menopause; however, that is because they act on the body in a bio-similar way to hormones -- the net effect of which could cause the mass in your pelvis to continue growing at a rate near what it is currently. And yes, sadly, once those hormones leave your system, the menopausal symptoms will indeed come.

I would probably suggest that you make a list of pros and cons with regards to both having another surgery, as well as coping with pain and uncertain hormones. Make certain you weigh the amount of pain you're having now against the potential side effects and complications of another surgery as well. Unfortunately there is really no perfect solution here, and I am at a loss to provide you with any difinitive answer. This is where your own rational brain will have to step in. I know with my own ovarian/pelvic/back pain, it had become so debilitating that for two weeks of each month, I was nearly unable to walk because of the weakness the pain would cause. For me, I went ahead and risked the surgery, and as you can see from my signature, I sufferred some very serious complications. But in the end, I'm back at work, I feel pretty good, and the pain is 90% gone. Am I recommending you do the same? Not specifically. Just giving you one been-there-done-that experience, and sending you positive decision-making vibes.

Either way, will you keep us posted? Blessings to you,
d.
Unread 12-11-2007, 09:59 PM

D - Thank you so much for your post. I am glad to hear that you are feeling better and that your pain has reduced. It definitely sounds like you have been through so much and I really appreciate your feedback. I am thinking about a possible surgery because today the pain/bleeding is worse. My doctor called today to say that the Lupron shot is ordered and they will give it to me next week so if this doesn't work to help reduce the size then I will go ahead and talk with her about the surgery. Yesterday was just so stressful and I didn't expect to hear her say anything about a surgery so I was not open to that. I mean no one that has been through a hysterectomy wants another surgery but I guess I let those memories cloud my judgment. It does make sense to go the most direct route to alleviate the pain when possible. I just hate being put under and being cut open again.

Her nurse called today to say that they will give me half of the dose of hormones than I was previously on. So that is good news - at least I won't be without. It was really worrying me to think that I would be without anything to help combat the symptoms.

Were you able to find any relief from the pelvic pain before your surgery. My legs and back are even killing me. My legs are the worst though they just throb and throb and I am not sure why. I take iron everyday for restless leg syndrome and I am wondering if I should take more because it really helped when they were hurting years ago but this pain is terrible.

Thanks again for all your feedback and I hope you continue to recover and get to feeling even better in the future!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register