Anyone with PCOS have a hysterectomy???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone with PCOS have a hysterectomy???? Anyone with PCOS have a hysterectomy????

Unread 12-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Anyone with PCOS have a hysterectomy????

I am into my 4th week now.... post op. I was diagnosed with PCOS almost 13 yrs now. I know that PCOS does not go away literally, but wanted to know if anyone which may have PCOS, have symptoms that may not seem so severe now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2007, 03:10 PM

anewlisad

There are ladies on the site who have PCOS and I hope some will be along soon to share. In the meantime, however, if you try a "forum search" (click right, on the second purple bar down, on the main page of this forum) you'll find many threads/posts to read through.

I hope your recovery is going well!

Unread 12-07-2007, 05:25 PM

I was diagnosed with PCOs 20 years ago, was around on the internet when the PCOS association was formed and 5 months later I am beginning to think some of the symptoms are better, even though they left my ovaries in. Without trying I have lost between 40 and 50 pounds or more, and no I am not diabetic. I don't seem to get migraines, but then again it has only been 5 months, but I used to get a whopper approximately once a month (however it never seemed to correlate with my cycle). Also am not tending to being as witchy as I could be during PMS.

Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2007, 06:03 PM

Wow Salsagal--- that is awesome about your weight loss!!!!!!
I am/was hoping for the same exact luck in that catergory, but have put on about 10 pds since my hysterectomy. I am still swollen. Unsure if that is the reason why, or because I have "0" activity?????

Thanks for the info... I am hoping for a better me, once this is recovery is over!!
Unread 12-08-2007, 09:49 PM

I didnt know there is no cure for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Though I was never diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome I felt I had it. After hours of research I found I had 80% of symptoms that had formed and continued to occur over a period of almost 5 years. I kept going to the doctor with complaints about this and that and every 3-6 months from insulin resistance to weight gain, skin problems to waking up choking, which I feel was sleep apnea. All symptoms of PCOS. I was going to my Doctor for years with more and more problems. She just kept putting me on anti depressants thinking I was just a NUT CASE!! I had TOO MUCH GOING ON for too long! I finally got smart and went on line a few years back to diagnose myself. I did some research and found out about Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I feel I did have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I was told I had several fibroids, guess what? I had ZERO.... anyway after my TAH/BSO a lot of my PCOS symptoms stopped. My ovaries were full of cysts, and I had one HUGE cysts the size of a large orange just hanging there off my right ovary. I felt something there long time ago so it must have started to form back in 2003 as the size of a walnut went to the Dr scared of what it was and miraculously over the years NOT ONE doctor felt it or my sonna grams showed it EVER for many years!! It just kept on growing. That contraption the OB's / GP's use to open you up for a pap just pushed the cyst aside, and when I told them that, they didnt listen, guess they thought I was seeking attention??!! They never felt it or saw it!! OH MY GOSH! They never saw my right ovary in the sonna gram, now I know why it had morphed into that huge cyst. I finally knew what the walnut size thing was back in 2003 that scared me to much and give me so much pain when I was on my feet along time or doing a lot of lifting, which was my daily job!!!! Anyway it was the large orange size cyst in 2007!!! I finally saw it in my after surgery photo. I wonder about our medical profession!!! During my recovery I had a knee issue I had to go to my GP for. I took my surgery photo to my GP and said HERE look at this photo! This is what was wrong with me all those years, I didnt need anti depressants, I Needed you to regulate my hormones and realize I was going through Menopause!!! In getting copies of my past year blood tests, I found out later by looking up my blood tests on line, my ovaries were failing, but my GP just said the lab says normal readings YEAH UGH! SO HAPPY Its all over, I got RID OF MY GP and going to a new GP in the same office. (HMO's) I asked him if he would be my new GP and he says what about Dr.XXX I said she has never looked me in the eye in 7 years and she always answers my questions with a question. Her lack of interest had me suffering for too many years!! I am telling you Sisters, be PROACTIVE. I am now and wish I knew then to be pro active, we all know our bodies! DONT TAKE NO for an answer! If you feel its the wrong answer...I should have!!!
Unread 12-08-2007, 10:51 PM

Wow Presouz you have really been through it!!!
Glad to hear that a lot of your symptoms have went away. I am so looking forward to that, I hope that I will not be disappointed.
I have hurt and suffered for so many years with all of those symptoms!
Unread 12-09-2007, 07:53 AM

Hi Anewlisad,

- that's how I felt for 30 + years before my surgery
- how I feel now

I hope your recovery is going well. Swelling can indeed cause a little weight gain. Be sure and drink lots of water and walk when you can. Don't overdo, as your body is still healing on the inside.

I can share my experience and what I have learned from my Endocrinologist.

PCOS is a disorder of the endocrine system. While the severity of the symptoms can certainly be affected by the ovaries, it is not cured by having the ovaries removed.

I am taking spironolactone to control the symtoms of too much androgen, metformin to keep my insulin down (along with a "low cal-no simple carb" diet) and my thyroid is also affected so I am taking synthroid. According to my Dr, women with PCOS have a 50 percent chance of developing diabetes, so it is extremely important that we get the testing and treatments we need.

(((Presouz))), your story sounds a lot like mine. I wasn't even diagnosed with PCOS until after my surgery, as my Dr expected all of my symptoms to disappear with the ovary removal. When they didn't, they were surprised and finally did all the right tests. I've had all the symptoms since I was about 20, and at least some syptoms since I was 12.

(((Becky))), the migraines are sometimes caused by hormone fluctuations. When our ovaries are removed, and after our bodies stored supply of estrogen is used up, we are able to take ERT and have our hormones stabilize. I also have not had a migraine since my surgery. There have been times when I have forgotten to take my HRT and have gotten the aura that is the warning sign of a migraine to come, but have taken the missed HRT and prevented the migraine.

I also lost 45 pounds during the first year after my surgery. Then, I stopped. I haven't lost any in the past year, though I still have another 70 to go to get to the low body fat weight that my endocrinologist says gives me a chance at getting off some of these meds. I wish I knew what it was that allowed the weight loss, but I can't seem to duplicate it again.

We do have to be proactive. There has not been much research on PCOS after an oopherectomy, and we have to make sure that we are seeing a Dr who is understanding what it is (and isn't) and is knowlegdeable about the available treatments. I thought my family Dr was doing a great job treating my symptoms, but finally saw an endocrinologist for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I was totally amazed at how much more she knew. I am not sure why I was so surprised, because endocrinologists are the hormone experts.

Best Wishes for a complete recovery and hormone balance. Be patient, the balance can take a while to find

S,
Kay
Unread 12-09-2007, 01:59 PM

OH WOW KAY!!! You have been through the ringer too!!! Thanks for the advice on an endocrinologist, I went to one before my surgery in Feb my surgery was in July.. he was running late all day and complaining about it loudly in the hall way and then came in tom y room and complained about my weight and that was it said go to the lab, never a call or letter or a follow up so I called now need help with my HRT... why I am going back to him for my follow up is beyond me. HMO's have guide lines to follow, if he acts like an A** again this Thurs when I go, I am going to ask for a new endocrinologists. I really need to get my hormones regulated, I am depressed, and I rather have my HRT right then start taking anti depressants again.. I want to get it right not mask it you know? Thanks again for you sisters. If not for you all I would have been a HUGE MESS and not just a MESS heh heh.. thanks again ladies!!! HUGS
Unread 12-09-2007, 05:17 PM

You know, 'Endocrinologists are just like other Doctors. Even within their specialty they have their special interests. If you have other choices, you might try calling their offices and asking their nurse if they treat PCOS, or if they prefer not too. Maybe, though, for some reason your records fell through the cracks (I have had that happen, and wrote it off as a human error). I hope you get the answers and support you need with your next visit. Keep us posted.

s,
Kay
Unread 12-09-2007, 08:07 PM

I just had my TAH on 11/30 and am still very sore. I also have PCOS, as a matter of fact, I am told by most doctors that I have the worst case they ever saw.
Well, my doctor wentt in and kept my ovaries in me, but drilled them extensively, which is said to help with some of the extra hormones and stop the cysts from forming.
I dont know if it works yet, but over the lsat 2 days, I have noticed my hair on my face not growing as fast, and I havent had the usual sweet tooth cravings... so we shall see. I needed the TAH due to many adhesions that were attached to places including my abdominal wall. They were caused by an infection. Otherwise I would have opted to keep my parts, now I just have a cuff and ovaries.
I am currently on metformin to help with insulin resistance and also on high blood pressure meds,,,, you gotta love PCOS!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register